Author Topic: Game keeps minmizing to desk top  (Read 957 times)

Offline popason

• Zinc Member
Game keeps minmizing to desk top
« on: January 15, 2021, 01:28:25 PM »
To whom ever: My game keeps minimizing to my desk top. I have tried everything as far as cutting programs off had the Geek squad check it all out twice. ran different programs to clean out junk and reg. The Geek Squad is telling me it's the game its self trying to  calling up something that has a higher priority. I don't know what it is. I have deleted the game and reinstalled it but I copied my files to it. so I still have the same problems. I would do anything to get it back. It did start after the last update. Thanks for looking into this. If you can please email me.
csveirs@verizon.net

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Game keeps minmizing to desk top
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 03:20:18 PM »
Did the game reinstall run OK before you copied your settings to it?

Have you tried running AH from a HD again instead of the SSD?

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 04:21:25 AM »
To whom ever: My game keeps minimizing to my desk top. I have tried everything as far as cutting programs off had the Geek squad check it all out twice. ran different programs to clean out junk and reg. The Geek Squad is telling me it's the game its self trying to  calling up something that has a higher priority. I don't know what it is. I have deleted the game and reinstalled it but I copied my files to it. so I still have the same problems. I would do anything to get it back. It did start after the last update. Thanks for looking into this. If you can please email me.
csveirs@verizon.net
My Niece, ULblizz, had the same problem! I had her run a "Disk Cleanup"(erased Temp files and cookies) and to do the "Bizz Man"! Hold Shift while shutting down! No crashes...now 4 weeks from then!
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 08:26:05 AM »
If you are using a AV program,try shutting it down when ingame,plenty of times I've seen where the AV program does something and kicks you to desktop so give that a try,just remember to turn it back on when you go to browse the internet.

:salute

Offline diaster

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 07:05:22 AM »
Same problem here for a while now... what is AV program. Many time I get an actual ctd usually once or twice each session
"Harden The F_ck Up”

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 08:14:36 AM »
Anti virus program,guess I should have wrote that to begin with.

:salute

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 09:36:24 AM »
My Niece, ULblizz, had the same problem! I had her run a "Disk Cleanup"(erased Temp files and cookies) and to do the "Bizz Man"! Hold Shift while shutting down! No crashes...now 4 weeks from then!

I remember Bizzman mentioning that.  Since I’ve slept a few times since then, what does holding the SHIFT key down do?

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 10:03:10 AM »
I remember Bizzman mentioning that.  Since I’ve slept a few times since then, what does holding the SHIFT key down do?
It makes the next boot start from fresh instead of using potentially corrupted settings.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 12:03:52 PM »
It makes the next boot start from fresh instead of using potentially corrupted settings.

Thanks!👍

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline AlbertSk

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2021, 01:44:26 PM »
Same here. I Ran the system file checker tool & it did find bad files and fixed them.
System file check is a utility built into the Operating System that will check for system file corruption The sfc /scannow command scans the integrity of all operating system files and replaces incorrect, corrupted, changed, or damaged versions with the correct versions.
To run a system file check (SFC)
Go to start>Type CMD
Right click on command prompt app and select run as Administrator
You'll see a line C:\Windows\System32>
After the > type: sfc /scannow (note the space between sfc and "/") hit enter.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 01:46:11 PM by AlbertSk »

Offline mikeWe9a

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2021, 02:18:35 PM »
Note, that rather than holding down the shift key when initiating your shutdown, you can simply use the "restart" option.  This will shutdown and restart the computer without using saved state info, just as if you had shut down using the shift key.

You can also set your computer to completely shut down when you turn it off, which will have the same effect.  You do this by turning off "fast startup" in the control panel.

If you wish to do so, here are the steps:

Enter the control panel - easiest way is to type 'control panel' into the search window by the start icon, and select the app that shows up.
Select the power options icon
Select "Choose what the power buttons do" from the left hand side list
If you have "shutdown settings" with a checkbox to "turn on fast startup (recommended)", uncheck that box.
If not:
Select "Change settings that are currently unavailable" at the bottom of the top paragraph, with the shield next to it

You should now have the fast startup checkbox, listed above - uncheck it and your machine will do a "clean boot" each time.  It may take somewhat longer to boot than before, but will not save anything from boot to boot.

Mike
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 02:31:12 PM by mikeWe9a »

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2021, 01:36:28 AM »
Note, that rather than holding down the shift key when initiating your shutdown, you can simply use the "restart" option.  This will shutdown and restart the computer without using saved state info, just as if you had shut down using the shift key.

You can also set your computer to completely shut down when you turn it off, which will have the same effect.  You do this by turning off "fast startup" in the control panel.

If you wish to do so, here are the steps:

Enter the control panel - easiest way is to type 'control panel' into the search window by the start icon, and select the app that shows up.
Select the power options icon
Select "Choose what the power buttons do" from the left hand side list
If you have "shutdown settings" with a checkbox to "turn on fast startup (recommended)", uncheck that box.
If not:
Select "Change settings that are currently unavailable" at the bottom of the top paragraph, with the shield next to it

You should now have the fast startup checkbox, listed above - uncheck it and your machine will do a "clean boot" each time.  It may take somewhat longer to boot than before, but will not save anything from boot to boot.

Mike
That's true. Or at least that's what Microsoft says. I'm not 100% sure it works that way, though, as I can't believe people who've been using a computer for decades can't use the "Restart" option to try and fix the problems that resolve by holding Shift at shutdown. There was a major Internet lockout issue some years ago on December 6th and for a few days there was queues at every tech's door. Resetting IP stacks worked as well as uninstalling the network cards but the easiest way was to hold Shift and shut down. Several people told me that they had restarted several times, however it's impossible to tell if they really chose Restart instead of Shutdown.

Anyhow, that's a recommendable change of settings to do. It can prevent issues at least to some degree.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni