Author Topic: SteamVR/WMR help !!!!!  (Read 1035 times)

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
SteamVR/WMR help !!!!!
« on: January 20, 2021, 02:08:39 PM »
friend let me borrow their G1 ( he got G2 before everything stopped).
Graphics are so much better then my Oculus CV1, but.....

With oculus it didn't matter if i started with CV1 on my face or not, as long as I started oculus mode.
Taking off gogles and putting them on worked seemlessly.

with WMR/SteamVR - OMG !!! Who came up with that POS software. Some silly win key+ Y thingy starts on my PC ( i don't use controllers ), if i start without gogles on my face - it doesn't find them right once i put them on in the game and i get stutters every 3 seconds, generally letting them turn off every for couple of seconds equates to game restart.
That software is f....g horrible. Are there some tricks that i'm missing ? Between that and cable that could be used to cut bread i'm seriously considering going back to CV1...

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
Re: SteamVR/WMR help !!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 09:41:03 PM »
WMR is a pain. I find it easiest to start WMR by activating the headset then taking it off, and then opening AH3 on the desktop. It should turn on steamvr if not already running.

And yes sometimes you also lose your mouse control and you need to do the WIN+Y to get it back. Good.luck!

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 02:16:34 PM »
this f.....g thing hates me.
It's playing some asanine music when i put on the headset and does not let up when i enter the game.
how do i turn it off ??? :(

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 03:31:35 AM »
IKR!!! I am sticking with Oculus, because of this. YES, it now requires a Facebook account BS. This is a lot easier to deal with than WMM Devices,imho. I am just a Lesser of the 2 BSes type of guy :rofl
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline WpnX

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 06:46:03 AM »
Ski,
In your Mixed Reality Portal, go to "See more" / Setting / Headset Display. Under Input Switching select manual for WIN +Y key. I've been doing this and haven't had any problems.
Elvis
The Flying Circus

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 04:18:41 AM »
Ski,
In your Mixed Reality Portal, go to "See more" / Setting / Headset Display. Under Input Switching select manual for WIN +Y key. I've been doing this and haven't had any problems.
ALL SATIRE... Rated R for Reasonable  Folk(the Alan Jackson Vrs Toby Keith songs)

"Where were you, when My Gears quit turning, that Sweet AH's Day?
 I got so frustrated, and gave My Acer WMR away........From A Jackson to Toby Keith(more like I felt about it 9/11)....So he might put a Boot in your 6 its the AH VR WAY!!!!!!! I am just glad that he let me send it to him...Winger.
 He was pretty eager to try it out(VR in general), as per his questions/Posts on VR Channel...Why not send him this WMR? It took some time. Understandably? You dont see that every day! :rofl   We had had a few interactions in Game, both Foe and Bro. He saw things a lot like I did, so why not invest in MY GAME experience? I still dont know if he ever got the Implementation worked out :uhoh Its just how I am....Most players in his situation, act the same way...CAUTIOUS! But the Dozen or so(To let me share/ invest in my game play because I respected them), other players acted the same way.  These Folk MADE MY DAYS!!!! Your "solution" was needed THEN!! LOL   Not Bragging...Might be the WildTurket 101's influence? Its guys like you,Elvis, both IN GAME and IN FORUM...that solidifies my Loyalty to this extended family!
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Rocco

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 12:42:36 PM »
Yeah WMR is a huge pain, I was having so many problems I thought about returning it, but wow is the reverb great once you get past the software issues. I actually have a startup sequence I have to do.

-open steamvr. This also opens WMR.

-open ah3 (I run standalone). If it lags on startup I have to reboot my computer and start over. If I don't ah does eventually come up but will freeze again after a few minutes, usually just enough time to start the climb out. After a few more minutes it will unfreeze but the cockpit is gone and I'm in a field. I can't bring up the clipboard or do anything else. I think it is something with steamvr that locks up.

-put my headset on and fire up a controller to get rid of the steam menu that pops up. Must be a way to turn that off but haven't found it yet.

-open my other programs, teamspeak and voiceattack.

-jump into the arena.

If I don't do things in this order I will either get that freeze issue or ah stops registering mouse clicks, so I can't interact with the menus. With this sequence it runs smooth for me.

I have that win y thing on auto, it switches over when WMR boots up and goes away when I close it. Works for me and means I don't have to mess with audio settings to switch between my headset for non-vr and the reverb audio for vr.

I think the music you're hearing is the steamvr home room running in the background. You can turn the home room off in steamvr settings, I would have to check where exactly the option is.
Ingame : AKRocco

Arabian Knights

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 05:56:56 PM »
Just noticed this topic.....am seriously considering getting a G2.  Do you need a Windows key to use it?  I'm still using my 90's vintage (pre PS-2) mechanical keyboard....love it but it has no windows key.  Thanks!

Offline Rocco

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2021, 08:18:53 PM »
Nope you should be fine without the windows key. I never use it with my G2. You'll just have to set the win-y thing to automatic in WMR settings, so it switches modes when you put your headset on. Having it on auto has never given me any issues.
Ingame : AKRocco

Arabian Knights

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2021, 09:29:25 PM »
Good news, thank you Rocco!

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2021, 07:46:01 AM »
I have been using the Reverb G2 for several months.  My startup sequence is:
1) Start SteamVR (this automatically starts WMR)
2) Start VoiceAttack
3) Start AHIII DX11
4) Click the "Use VR headset" option
5) Put on headset and press joystick trigger to center view and get menu

From there everything is play as normal.

Hope this helps

TShark

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2021, 10:15:47 AM »
I have been using the Reverb G2 for several months.  My startup sequence is:
1) Start SteamVR (this automatically starts WMR)
2) Start VoiceAttack
3) Start AHIII DX11
4) Click the "Use VR headset" option
5) Put on headset and press joystick trigger to center view and get menu

From there everything is play as normal.

Hope this helps

TShark

Looks straight-forward enough, Thank you Tshark!