Author Topic: AH OC graphics observation  (Read 1322 times)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
AH OC graphics observation
« on: March 15, 2021, 12:14:04 PM »
My GPU is a GTX 1660Ti 6 GB. Normal clock speed runs 1500 Mhz and 731 Mv. Using the Boost clock feature of Precision X1 increases the clock speed to 1980 Mhz and Mv t 1031. Doing so creates some really weird visual effects in game. Best way to describe it is like a secondary transparent overlay of scenery details set over the normal landscape. All graphic options were pretty much maxed out before and after using the boost  clock option.

Were the anomalies the result of too much stress on the game? If not, then what caused it? Just curious.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
Re: AH OC graphics observation
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 03:30:18 PM »
Were you running DX9 or DX11?
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 03:54:48 PM »
It was apparently caused by the higher clock speed and voltage.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 04:17:55 PM »

Online Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 07:58:01 PM »
Overclocking a GPU is an inexact art. It can be both fun and frustrating! If you decide to do it, be prepared to do some research, have some monitoring and benchmark apps and have fairly large amounts of time to test things out. Newer versions of MSI Afterburner have a built-in overclocking tool that's fairly automatic and will get you close to what you could attain doing it manually quicker, which should be good enough for most. It's easy and safe.

The thing is, every card is slightly different from every other card. They can be the same brand and model. Plugged into the same PC. One will OC great, one won't. It's just the nature of it.

Boosting the clocks, you'll have to pay close attention to the heat generated. Cooling is prolly the single worst limiter to an overclock. Card gets hot, it either slows down on safety or it flat out crashes. Now you're starting over. Watch the temps and clocks with Afterburner so you know what's happening. Keep notes. You might need to add some voltage to get to the clocks you want. Maybe you can do that - - maybe you can't! If the card limits it in it's bios you're generally screwed as it physically won't let you get there. If you can, Afterburner has settings for that.

Once you start into this you have to go in tiny increments boosting a few ticks at a time. Bump up a few ticks, run benchmark, lather, rinse, repeat. Time consuming. You're either gonna get to a point where there's too much heat or you start getting artifacts like flashes or odd lines or both. At that point you need to back it off a few ticks. Keep testing to make sure it's stable. I like to run the Unigine Valley benchmark on a loop for at least an hour once I get something that doesn't act like it's gonna mess up.

If it's an older or used card be sure to replace the thermal paste on the GPU. It'll help with the cooling and thus, performance. Find a tear down vid for your card so you don't break anything in the process.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 10:33:04 AM »
I agree with Drano, be careful with overclocking the GPU, and if you do, be very moderate and look into forums etc.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 01:52:23 PM »
I didn't really OC on my end...simply used a preset activation button that auto-boosts clock speed and voltage.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2021, 04:19:38 PM »
This is all I remember about over clocking......

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2021, 04:29:56 PM »
This is all I remember about over clocking......

:rofl

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2021, 05:17:51 PM »
That's always about how I felt about it.  I personally feel overclocking is not worth it unless you can afford to potentially brick your computer.  I know it's gotten a lot safer over the years, but I've lost the desire to twiddle with stuff to get 3 more FPS out of a game.  The risk doesn't outweigh the benefit IMO.

Wiley.

If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2021, 06:54:23 PM »
I didn't really OC on my end...simply used a preset activation button that auto-boosts clock speed and voltage.

The thing to consider is the result, which was problematic.

Offline Cluzig

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2021, 03:36:33 PM »
My GPU is a GTX 1660Ti 6 GB. Normal clock speed runs 1500 Mhz and 731 Mv. Using the Boost clock feature of Precision X1 increases the clock speed to 1980 Mhz and Mv t 1031. Doing so creates some really weird visual effects in game. Best way to describe it is like a secondary transparent overlay of scenery details set over the normal landscape. All graphic options were pretty much maxed out before and after using the boost  clock option.

Were the anomalies the result of too much stress on the game? If not, then what caused it? Just curious.

I'm using a real old card and have gotten some strange problems as a result.
Dithering or a red to pink pixelation with minor artifacts start to appear when the card is becoming hot it sounds like your issue.
Whilst I actively overclock CPUs and haven't had issues I've only had negative experiences overclocking GPUs some times with physical damage as a result of seeking a small OC.

GPUZ is a good tool for monitoring all temps and voltages.

Online Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2021, 08:40:52 PM »
Msi Afterburner is free and will not only overclock just about any graphics card, it will also monitor and graph any settings you might need so that you can review what happened/is happening during a test run or game session. Can't recommend it enough. GpuZ works but Afterburner does more and so much better.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group