Author Topic: Radar Detectors  (Read 1221 times)

Offline BOBO

• Copper Member
Radar Detectors
« on: February 08, 2021, 05:36:14 AM »
Anybody use them, or know much about them?

Last week I finally unlocked my first stimulus (inflation creation) payment from last fall and immediately ordered a Valentine One Gen 2.

I really hope that I didn't just do something really stupid.  I don't drive particularly fast and I haven't had a speeding ticket since 2005 or so but the idea of reporting speed traps to Google Maps through the Waze app was just too much for me to resist.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
Re: Radar Detectors
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 06:07:12 AM »
I dont bother with any of them, let the speeding suckers get their ticket
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 06:49:47 AM »
If you also have a Lidar jammer simple radar wont do much. The newer speed guns are difficult to beat. Laser Jammer's might be illegal in your state, or one your passing thru. I dont know much about jammers but I do know you have two kinds of radar you might be looking at. And of course there's the Bear in the Air on the highway which your never going to beat.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 09:59:32 AM »
They are petty much passe now and not all that useful. Even back in the old days when they were cutting edge tech I beat the detectors all the time. I had more than one pissed off driver grab it off the dash and toss it in the back seat. By the time the detector went off I had already clocked them. In addition most jurisdictions are now using lasers so a radar detector won't make any difference.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 10:09:20 AM »
I have one. I normally might go 10-15 over on the highway so nothing too crazy, maybe slightly faster than the flow of traffic.

As Maverick said LIDAR is becoming much more common and is instant. My detector has LIDAR detection as well but if you get lasered it's already too late. The only time you might be safe is if it's laser scatter.

In NY, LIDAR guns aren't particularly common yet from my experience, I've only been lasered a handful of times as opposed to radar.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 11:23:46 AM »
Google maps has a function where radar traps are reported. first time I heard it, it confused the hell out of me. glanced at my phone and saw the warning, 20 seconds later i saw the police.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Rondar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 08:58:47 PM »
When my wife and I travel sometimes, it gives me a thrill to no end when someone zooms by me on interstate only to see them at the side of the road in a few miles with lights flashing right behind them.  Wife and I call them christmas lights and somebody getting a christmas gift early.
To understand true love, lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for an hour and then see which one is glad to see you when you come back

Offline BOBO

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 09:06:10 PM »
Google maps has a function where radar traps are reported. first time I heard it, it confused the hell out of me. glanced at my phone and saw the warning, 20 seconds later i saw the police.

semp

That's why I bought it.  I'm not much of a speeder but I do consider speeding tickets to be a form of unjust taxation and mild tyranny.  Our speed limits were set based on average stopping distances for cars that were built many decades ago with drum brakes and bias ply tubed tires etc...

I firmly believe that speed enforcement is about revenue for the state and not about highway safety because it's about the only rule of the road that is regularly enforced and almost always requires the offender to pay a fee.  I didn't want stimulus checks because they'll end up costing us much more in the long run than we'll actually receive now so I figure this way I'm doing my civic duty by helping other motorists drive with caution and avoid fines that I consider mostly unjust.

My brother in law does rallies like Gumball and swears by the Valentine One detector.

I did some research before my purchase and found out something interesting about jammers.

Radar jammers are illegal in all states because devices that transmit RF are regulated by the FCC.

Lasers are regulated by the FDA and there are no federal regulations that prohibit jamming lasers but a handful of states have banned laser jamming devices.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 09:15:29 PM by BOBO »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 10:05:00 PM »
That's why I bought it.  I'm not much of a speeder but I do consider speeding tickets to be a form of unjust taxation and mild tyranny.  Our speed limits were set based on average stopping distances for cars that were built many decades ago with drum brakes and bias ply tubed tires etc...

I firmly believe that speed enforcement is about revenue for the state and not about highway safety because it's about the only rule of the road that is regularly enforced and almost always requires the offender to pay a fee.  I didn't want stimulus checks because they'll end up costing us much more in the long run than we'll actually receive now so I figure this way I'm doing my civic duty by helping other motorists drive with caution and avoid fines that I consider mostly unjust.

My brother in law does rallies like Gumball and swears by the Valentine One detector.

I did some research before my purchase and found out something interesting about jammers.

Radar jammers are illegal in all states because devices that transmit RF are regulated by the FCC.

Lasers are regulated by the FDA and there are no federal regulations that prohibit jamming lasers but a handful of states have banned laser jamming devices.

You have to take in to account the people behind the wheel today. They have a lot of gadgets consuming the attention. Note I did not call them "drivers". Drivers actually drive when driving.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2021, 10:05:23 PM »
I dont speed.  I may do like 5 mph over the speed limit on the freeway but that's about it.  I am never in a rush, unless there's an emergency.  last emergency was 14 years ago.

around here everybody drives 15 to 20 miles and even more over the speed limit.  that is crazy and stupid.  ever seen 4 different cars rearend other cars and block 3 lanes of traffic on the freeway because they were driving so fast they didnt see traffic up ahead going 40 miles an hour.  I have seen that.  I used to drive a lot when I used to install doors and windows and would drive 100 to 150 miles a day.  used to see at least 1 person dead in a week or week and a 1/2 on the freeway.  sometimes I saw accidents involving several cars where you couldnt even tell how many cars were involved.

just today me and my wife took a friend to get a covid second shot, accident on the way there.  on the way back I could see on google maps that another accident up ahead.  there were so many big rigs and cars speeding that it was ridiculous.  I got off the freeway and came home on the streets.

honestly I believe there should be detectors on the freeway where if you went 9 miles over the speed limit a ticket would automatically get deducted from your bank account.

maybe I am older and I dont really drive that much anymore.  last week i had the oil changed on my car last week.  the mechanic asked me when i changed it last because the oil was clean and he had almost stopped draining the oil and just add more.  told him I bought the car last july and had taken 2 trips to laughlin which both round where about 1k miles.  when I checked i realized i had driven a little over 2k miles since july.

not gonna go into the revenue thing but I just wish people would slow down.  but they arent gonna do it, so I dont know what else...

semp

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2021, 10:07:48 PM »
I dont speed.  I may do like 5 mph over the speed limit on the freeway but that's about it.  I am never in a rush, unless there's an emergency.  last emergency was 14 years ago.

around here everybody drives 15 to 20 miles and even more over the speed limit.  that is crazy and stupid.  ever seen 4 different cars rearend other cars and block 3 lanes of traffic on the freeway because they were driving so fast they didnt see traffic up ahead going 40 miles an hour.  I have seen that.  I used to drive a lot when I used to install doors and windows and would drive 100 to 150 miles a day.  used to see at least 1 person dead in a week or week and a 1/2 on the freeway.  sometimes I saw accidents involving several cars where you couldnt even tell how many cars were involved.

just today me and my wife took a friend to get a covid second shot, accident on the way there.  on the way back I could see on google maps that another accident up ahead.  there were so many big rigs and cars speeding that it was ridiculous.  I got off the freeway and came home on the streets.

honestly I believe there should be detectors on the freeway where if you went 9 miles over the speed limit a ticket would automatically get deducted from your bank account.

maybe I am older and I dont really drive that much anymore.  last week i had the oil changed on my car last week.  the mechanic asked me when i changed it last because the oil was clean and he had almost stopped draining the oil and just add more.  told him I bought the car last july and had taken 2 trips to laughlin which both round where about 1k miles.  when I checked i realized i had driven a little over 2k miles since july.

not gonna go into the revenue thing but I just wish people would slow down.  but they arent gonna do it, so I dont know what else...

semp

I have seen a pileup at less that 30 mph with people looking at flashing lights on the side of the road. LOL
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2021, 10:08:13 PM »
Most radar these days is digital/instant on. Cop just hits a button and gets a reading. The only way you pick them up is if they are hitting cars ahead of you (and the signals for instant on are quite strong).

LIDAR (Laser), is basically IR frequency, 905nm (iirc). Jammers are basically like a big torch that effectively blinds them. I have an old Bel LaserPro 905 I have had for over 20 years, works a treat, has saved my butt a couple of times.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2021, 10:20:33 PM »
I have seen a pileup at less that 30 mph with people looking at flashing lights on the side of the road. LOL

in june my car got totaled while waiting at a red light, had been there for like a minute.  I didnt feel getting rearended, I just saw my car moving forward and I thought my foot was on the gas, I actually looked down and saw my foot on the brake.  I got off the car and walked up to the car in front of me and I apologized to the lady, i told her not sure what happened my foot was on the brake.  not until a guy came behind me and told me he got distracted and hit my car.  big suv, didnt have a dent on his car, mine the trunk and sides were crumbled.  that's when i realized I was rearended.  I was mad, had just paid off the car a few days before.

semp

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2021, 12:37:28 AM »
in june my car got totaled while waiting at a red light, had been there for like a minute.  I didnt feel getting rearended, I just saw my car moving forward and I thought my foot was on the gas, I actually looked down and saw my foot on the brake.  I got off the car and walked up to the car in front of me and I apologized to the lady, i told her not sure what happened my foot was on the brake.  not until a guy came behind me and told me he got distracted and hit my car.  big suv, didnt have a dent on his car, mine the trunk and sides were crumbled.  that's when i realized I was rearended.  I was mad, had just paid off the car a few days before.

semp

As bad as that was..... lucky you were not hurt.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline BOBO

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2021, 05:59:03 AM »

semp

I've lived in two cities that adopted automated speed enforcement.  Accidents were not common before speed cameras were installed.

In both cities rear end collisions suddenly became common after this form of "skynet" traffic enforcement was adopted.