Author Topic: New to the VR, got a couple things I am confused by and want to sort.  (Read 1881 times)

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
Re: New to the VR, got a couple things I am confused by and want to sort.
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2021, 05:56:28 AM »
Getting used to it, and simply put, L O V I N G it. :D  Was a bit uptight tonight, my video card is AMD, updated my drivers for something else, went to start AH, and discovered by behavior and a quick google, versions past 10.1.1, the AMD drivers crash oculus link.  Reverted my drivers and was gtg, but I thought we were past this kind of thing when Win10 came along.  :rofl

The view system in this game is simply awesome.  The flexibility of head position in the cockpit is just flat out the best in the industry.  I am still not dialed in to keep track of people through view changes, but it's getting noticeably better.  Guess I just have to play more.  :D

Only minor quibble is I wish the default position for things like the save recording filename window could be moved.  My setup has my shoulders more or less immobilized and it's about 5 degrees too far to hit "cancel" comfortably.

Wiley.
You can drag these "widows" where you want , under Options:GUI!
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2021, 10:28:11 AM »
Pretty sure I tried that, but the save filename window resets every time to 2 o'clockish.  I will check next time I play.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2021, 11:43:25 AM »
That window resets to that loc for me too. Moderately annoying if only because it's a) kinda large in VR and b) at least on the RiftS it's a tad outside the fov so you have to look way right as you say. That same location is used for menus like in Map Controllers.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2021, 11:50:34 AM »
That window resets to that loc for me too. Moderately annoying if only because it's a) kinda large in VR and b) at least on the RiftS it's a tad outside the fov so you have to look way right as you say. That same location is used for menus like in Map Controllers.

Yup.  Awful easy to miss it, then look right and not be able to see out the window. :)

Wiley.

JG11

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2021, 03:44:07 PM »
Well I see, that could get annoying  :rofl Might be why my Auto Record is off? Honestly I dont remember turning it off  :uhoh  It never bothered me much...glance and click. I got so used to it, I forget to save and just cancel...SHOOT grrrr :rofl
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2021, 04:01:42 PM »
I almost needed to see a doctor after 4 hours last night. I fiddled with my settings to up the resolution from where it defaulted to. 1.2 gave me acceptable frame rate in MNM, I can run 1.3 in the MA.

It was hands down the best gaming experience of my life. I can see the pixels, but I would almost say there is no screen door effect. It's no worse than looking at a monitor.  I think I got into this at the right time. It's good enough for me to feel like I am on Star Trek. Only minor quibble is FOV but it's good enough.

I cannot believe how good gunnery feels. It's so much easier to see what your tracers are doing!

I cannot wait to get a computer that can run it politely at 90 fps.

Wiley.

What is the 1.2 and 1.3 you're talking about? I'm lost.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2021, 04:09:28 PM »
Think he's talking about super sampling. It's a setting in oculus tray tool and steam.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2021, 06:08:32 PM »
Does somebody have a best settings for Rift S? I would really appreciate it as currently I don't have the time to do the research to figure it all out and I have a feeling that my settings are not optimal.

One thing really bothersome is I have view distance set to max but the runway still doesn't show up until I'm on top of it.

Also the screen door....
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 06:11:29 PM by hazmatt »

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2021, 03:28:51 AM »
Does somebody have a best settings for Rift S? I would really appreciate it as currently I don't have the time to do the research to figure it all out and I have a feeling that my settings are not optimal.

One thing really bothersome is I have view distance set to max but the runway still doesn't show up until I'm on top of it.

Also the screen door....
Terrain Detail!!! :aok

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2021, 01:44:03 PM »
Think he's talking about super sampling. It's a setting in oculus tray tool and steam.

Yeah, I think that's what they call it.  It's basically the resolution it runs at.  I don't exactly understand their logic.  If I understand right, at 1.0 it's displaying at a lower res than native,  2784x1408.  It appears at 1.3 it is 3696x1872, which is the closest option to the native res of 3664x1920 I have.

My FR is good enough for me, though it does dip to the 30s sometimes.  But I don't understand why it starts so low, and there's no option that is exactly native resolution.  I've never seen a display device you couldn't just tell to display at  native resolution.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2021, 03:11:48 PM »
What is the default and should I change it?

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2021, 03:59:56 PM »
Google Jesus says the Rift S's native resolution is 2560 x 1440.  When I look at devices in the Oculus software, then click on my headset, one of the items in there is "graphics preferences".  I'd try setting it to something close to that, and see what you get for frame rates.  You can always switch it back if it doesn't go well.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2021, 04:32:15 PM »
Supersampling basically rescales from the original resolution. For example the RiftS res is 2560x1440 or 1280x1440 per eye. So that'd be a 1.0. Higher numbers of SS=higher res. What happens is it scales that video up and then back down to what you see in the headset. It can tend to make things look better but it has limits. Of course the display in the RiftS isn't gonna magically give you Pimax8k resolution so there's that. You're also limited to what your PC can generate too. You can set SS as high as you can but it might not be playable. In some games it can tend to make the terrain and clouds look great but you might not be able to spot other planes or other small objects at a distance.

I'm sure others can explain that a lot better than I just did. One thing I'd add tho is that, as is with other things with computers, yours is different from mine is different from somebody else's. Find a setting that works for you in a particular game and make a profile for it. Tweak from there. Don't make duplicate settings. You don't want SS of SS.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2021, 12:00:40 PM »
Supersampling basically rescales from the original resolution. For example the RiftS res is 2560x1440 or 1280x1440 per eye. So that'd be a 1.0. Higher numbers of SS=higher res. What happens is it scales that video up and then back down to what you see in the headset. It can tend to make things look better but it has limits. Of course the display in the RiftS isn't gonna magically give you Pimax8k resolution so there's that. You're also limited to what your PC can generate too. You can set SS as high as you can but it might not be playable. In some games it can tend to make the terrain and clouds look great but you might not be able to spot other planes or other small objects at a distance.

I'm sure others can explain that a lot better than I just did. One thing I'd add tho is that, as is with other things with computers, yours is different from mine is different from somebody else's. Find a setting that works for you in a particular game and make a profile for it. Tweak from there. Don't make duplicate settings. You don't want SS of SS.

Ok, thinking about this a bit, what you're saying doesn't sound exactly like what I'm talking about.  If I understand supersampling, it renders at a higher res then puts it back through to your display's native resolution.  To me that doesn't make any sense why that improves anything.  It literally sounds like it's just creating busywork for your video card.  You can't display more pixels than there are on the display device. ;)

In the Rift software, it lets you set the desired rendering resolution and refresh rate.  As I said before, I have a Quest 2 which has a native resolution of 3664x1920.  The software allows 3 choices of refresh rate, then there is the options for resolution.  1.0 starts out at 2784x1408, which is significantly lower than native and looks noticeably worse.

It appears at 1.3 it is 3696x1872, which is the closest option to the native res of 3664x1920 I have.  And that does make it look better.  Like I said above about the busywork for the video card, I've gone no higher other than to see what happens as I can't see a difference other than FR drops.

Basically it looks to me on my system like it's resolution adjustment, with the option for supersampling if you go above native.  So technically I think we're both right. :)  It's just odd to me that A) there's no native option and B) that 1.0 starts well below native.  Although I'm wondering now typing it out if the software just starts at 1.0 because that's the native of one of the older headsets or something.  It just seems an odd number to throw around in there to me.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2021, 03:24:25 AM »
What is the default and should I change it?
Talking Super Sampling?  I messed around with this for a long time...I didnt see enough "Plusses" per FR Drop. I am running a Nvidia 2080. My old 1070 card, my niece has....was just plain MURDER on FRs. This was with using the "oculus tool tray" app.