Author Topic: Computer build question  (Read 1437 times)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Computer build question
« on: February 11, 2021, 05:58:05 PM »
Just finished a new build
Gigabyte z490 Vision G mobo
i7 10700k cpu
2x16 DDR4 3200 RAM installed in slots 2 & 4
500 MB M.2 installed on NVMe slot #1
previous 500 GB SSD installed but not connected.

Upon powering up, all fans (incl cpu fan) spin but nothing happens on the monitor. There is a small red indicator light active on the lower right mobo identified as DRAM. There's no OS installed yet though that's the intended next step.

TIA

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: Computer build question
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 06:34:29 PM »
Assuming there is no mobo speaker for beep codes, is there any LCD screen on the mobo for an error code?

It looks like that mobo has onboard video, can you try plugging into it as opposed to the video card for video? Sometimes in the bios the use of PCIe video devices has to be turned on.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 06:35:04 PM »
water it

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 07:11:42 PM »
Assuming there is no mobo speaker for beep codes, is there any LCD screen on the mobo for an error code?

It looks like that mobo has onboard video, can you try plugging into it as opposed to the video card for video? Sometimes in the bios the use of PCIe video devices has to be turned on.

First check your ram to be absolutely sure they are seated properly. Then boot again. If the DRAM light is still on, turn the machine off and remove one of the sticks of ram and try to boot. If it does not boot, try the other stick by itself. One of them may be bad.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 07:29:14 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 07:24:31 PM »
The chip is a K model so it does support UHD graphics.

It being a K model has nothing to do with onboard graphics, K model Intels are simply unlocked for overclocking.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 07:25:15 PM »
First time you fire it up, you might need to connect the HDMI from monitor to built in HDMI connector on the Motherboard.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 07:27:19 PM »
It being a K model has nothing to do with onboard graphics, K model Intels are simply unlocked for overclocking.

Typing like I think.... rambling.... LOL
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 10:25:21 PM »
Intel CPUs with on board graphics will have a G code.

If yours isn't a G the hdmi port on the mobo won't work. You should get video out of the graphics card on startup.

Now the red light. If your manual says that means it's a RAM problem you have to straighten that out first as you're not gonna get to the video regardless until you've done that.

You say you're not getting any video at all? Not even to the bios splash screen? If you get to the splash screen hit the del key (or whatever it says to hit) to get into the bios. Try enabling the XMP profile.

Couple of things if that doesn't work. As has been mentioned, reset your ram sticks. Make sure you're using the right pair of slots per the manual. It's important.

Did you check to see if the ram you bought was compatible with your mobo? That could be it but generally not.

Usually when this has happened to me its because I've been tweaking things a little too far. Clearing the cmos clears it. As yours is a new PC it wouldn't hurt to try that too. You haven't done anything in the bios so you wouldn't be changing anything. If that worked go into the bios, set the clock if it didn't set it itself and apply factory settings.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2021, 10:38:27 PM »
As Shuffler said you could have a bad stick. Not beyond the realm of possibility but rare, you could have a bad slot too. It'll take you several reboots but check a single stick in each slot, then check the other stick. Make sure there's nothing in the ram slots while you have the sticks out. Piece of hair could be it.

At least the light is pointing you at the problem. That's a start. My Asus board has those too but also has a little LED display that flashes codes if things go south. You can look them up in the manual to point you even closer to the problem.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2021, 11:04:45 PM »
years ago the rule was to install 1 stick, power up then go into bios and enable or fix ram speed or whatever then power off and install other sticks.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2021, 01:38:02 AM »
The first time I saw an M.2 system the symptoms were just as described, no action on the screen. It appeared that the guy who had assembled it hadn't put the raiser nut between the M.2 and the motherboard so the M.2 sat slanted. Both having a long history with computer building we couldn't believe that a poorly seated M.2 will result such a non-informative state! Previously if a disk wasn't properly recocgnized there has always been some action on the screen, at least saying something like "no disk found".

Of course it can be a poorly seated RAM stick or in the worst case a poorly seated CPU which has ruined the socket but let's just hope it's the raiser nut.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2021, 02:48:54 PM »
You didn't mention a graphics card, so I assume you are using the onboard Intel graphics for now. That's best when working with a new system if available.
As you power on, hold down the Delete key or F2 to boot into the BIOS.
It should be pretty intuitive to see if your memory is showing and the total amount.
Is it possible you have the sticks installed in the wrong slots?
While in the BIOS, navigate to the storage devices and see if your M.2 drive shows up.

This should give you a better idea of what's wrong.
Good luck
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2021, 03:02:11 PM »
Just because a mobo supports on board video doesn't mean that it in and of itself has on board video. It means it supports video thru a CPU with on board graphics and will display that video thru the hdmi port on the board. Surely this is a setting in the bios regardless as you don't HAVE to use the on board graphics and frankly shouldn't for other than web surfing or office use. If his CPU isn't one with on board graphics that hdmi port on the mobo is useless however it's set in the bios. No input, no output. In that case you HAVE to have a graphics card installed. If the mobo sees a graphics card installed its gonna use that first.

As far as I can tell from his description he's not even getting any video to get to the BIOS. So that's a problem right there that points to something else. An error of some kind with the memory. If the mobo says it's the memory that's stopping the boot it's best to get that straightened out before it will move on to the next thing in the chain. Likely video. If that were a problem, at least on my board, that'd be a different LED.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2021, 03:07:25 PM »
Just because a mobo supports on board video doesn't mean that it in and of itself has on board video. It means it supports video thru a CPU with on board graphics and will display that video thru the hdmi port on the board. Surely this is a setting in the bios regardless as you don't HAVE to use the on board graphics and frankly shouldn't for other than web surfing or office use. If his CPU isn't one with on board graphics that hdmi port on the mobo is useless however it's set in the bios. No input, no output. In that case you HAVE to have a graphics card installed. If the mobo sees a graphics card installed its gonna use that first.

The CPU has integrated graphics. Also, the motherboard using PCIe graphics 'first' is not always the case.

FlyKommando.com

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2021, 03:09:47 PM »
Either way he's getting a memory error and that's not letting him boot. Video isn't gonna happen til he gets that straightened out.

That and he doesn't say whether his CPU has on board graphics, not all do. His is coded K which means it's multiplier is unlocked. Generally there will be a G code if it does. Not saying it doesn't but don't know for sure. Either way, first things first. Gotta get booted!

« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 03:14:17 PM by Drano »
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"