Author Topic: February 2021 KOTH A Results.  (Read 1993 times)

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
February 2021 KOTH A Results.
« on: February 14, 2021, 09:52:23 AM »
Boy KOTH sure has changed from 10 years ago.
I’d like to thank trogdor for being the only one to help me with other players.
If that’s how you like KOTH it’s time to find a new host.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: February 2021 KOTH A Results.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 12:35:40 PM »
Not sure what that is about...

We had a new guy who did not know how to read instructions so he was in the wrong country and then somehow flew the wrong plane

You should have ignored him as he would have died in his 1st engagement and then left.

Not worth getting that upset about it.

As I understand being burnt out and it seems no one can assist you monthly with this maybe it should be a quarterly event instead.

I appreciate your time but would rather see you happy

<S>

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 12:50:50 PM »
Not sure what that is about...

We had a new guy who did not know how to read instructions so he was in the wrong country and then somehow flew the wrong plane

You should have ignored him as he would have died in his 1st engagement and then left.

Not worth getting that upset about it.

No, we always try to help new people out. :)
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 01:03:27 PM »
He did repeatedly but the player was not responding

Instead of getting upset he should have ignored it is all I am saying it was not bothering the rest of us

Maybe KOTH should be a preregister event like other ah events are so by the time it happens the contestants will be ready and fuzeman will have a smoother time with the ability to participate as he wants to

<S>

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 09:23:37 PM »
>>> DISCLAIMER-  KOTH desperately needs help in the CM department and I do not want the following to deter anyone from applying. The situation described below could not, repeat could not, happen to you as a KOTH CM as I'd* be there flying and supporting you.
[* - unless I've recently been declared deceased. ]
Not going to mention names but topics for sure, apologies if you notice anything.

Now I'm not scared of the 13th or anything like that but maybe that had something to do with it. This months event was a veritable smorgasbord of things that make a bad KOTH for me and karma gave me a portion of just about everything on the menu which included KOTH veterans, KOTH nOObs, and the freaking arena too.
  Spikes is right and we should try to help new players but I do confess any witnesses to my melt-down probably wont ever attend KOTH again and probably think I'm about 11 donuts short of a dozen.
   I flew in KOTH way back in Air Warrior and way back in Aces High too. The players then seemed much more involved with the event and keeping it running well; ie: players calling out alt cap breaks, too long of an extension from a fight, calling a no-joy if players are too close, helping a guy with CM Eye mode, even monitoring all the different fights going on and saying something if it looks bad so the CM can mosey over and watch whats going on. Now some of that seemed to disappear when we lost the ability to have in-tower communications [ somthing that IMO really hurt the social aspect of KOTH ] among a few the last donut remembers.
   Saturday started off OK with kill messages and radar both OK, something any KOTH regular who is one of the first in the arena knows I verify, Starting round 1 I had the new person on a different side who didn't know the game well enough to change sides quickly. I tried to help but it's tough to balance that get the new guy in to the event and hope they can manage or write them off and get the event going. Hats off to trogdor for helping on that account, oops I said I wasn't mentioning names. Oh yes and that was really the second thing. This is pretty much standard and I should really ground everyone at 9:00 pm prompt and start the event. There is always the few who want every second of their practice flight and maybe want to be the last one out there and the other side in the tower saying lets get this thing started, vet or nOOb doesn't seem to matter here. Or the late comer who missed the 30 minute practice session and wants at least 1 practice flight. Then I get the private complaint via PM about something I missed or something I let happen I shouldn't have. This is 99% of the time a KOTH vet and I usually reply in the open. If you got something to say about the event say it in public DURING the event. This one was about kills not being accredited correctly and a topic I discussed when the most kills invitation was introduced last month. I've also talked about giving proper credit for a kill at the end of your fight to help with accuracy and how to do so without ditching during the event. Then round three came along with that FM2 and the arena said "My turn!!!" and I had a nightmare with the simple task of disabling that plane. Pretty much every KOTH my .dplane 0 0 command does not work at least one round and I have to go into settings and Fields to make sure the last round plane is in fact unchecked and disabled.This time I even tried .dplane which didn't remove the checks. I went into Fields, making sure to select the right field A4 and not A1 at the top, highlighted the FM2 and hit disable plane, them for good measure disable all planes and exit the menu. I go back in and Whiskey Tango Foxtrot the FM2 is enabled. By now I'm frazzled to say the least but at least my cracked tooth that's coming out Thursday isn't killing me. Might have been the new person who come in seeming not bothering to read the arena message as he wasn't on VOX 101 and the nano-fuze was overloaded. Tirade ensued about how its the players responsibility to know and read the events rules and regulations by maybe reading the arena message. Should I have to go over the rules before every round or assume a player can read and understand them? Maybe I have to read them at the start again. I do NOT want to be a sign up event or have a need to be registered via AHEvents. The icing on the cake was me trying to have an accurate count of people flying to count down Last Four, Three, Two. CM Eye is enabled for a reason and it gives a great view of the fights IF YOU BOTHER TO SET IT UP before the event. I've complained how people loitering after the fight on the ground in their chute or wreck makes it impossible to know how many are left flying. Well maybe not impossible but that's the fastest way I do it. I started using the ground command on people loitering Saturday. maybe if they sit out a round it will sink in they need to end sortie a little sooner. This is another thing I wrote about in the KOTH forum.

Well we'll see if the 13th had anything to do with it as that's when March's will be.  I volunteered to host KOTH, if that means for a good event I don't fly, I don't fly. I guess KOTH is a bit different from other events in that respect as far as the CM setting it up and hosting it and their participation in the event they like.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 09:27:32 PM by fuzeman »
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 03:28:32 AM »
Sorry I fell asleep about 2 hours before the event started and didn't wake up until 3:45 am....

Appreciate the 2 text alerts...caught the 1st one....slept right through the 2nd one....

Don't beat yourself up Dave... Saturday was my oldest daughter's birthday and I reminded myself all day Friday to video chat with her Saturday but forgot that too only to remember when I woke up early Sunday morning.....

Crap happens

Betty posted she was coming back,  maybe she might want to be a Koth CM again..... she's already qualified

Just a thought

TC  /  Johnny
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 01:36:48 PM »
   Well I noticed I'm pointing at this and saying this is an issue, pointing over there saying that's an issue, and let's not forget that one over there, pointing at it, that has been going on for who knows how long, of course missing the obvious 4 digits pointing at me :) I'm a bonehead.
And that's medically correct from my Dentist. My bad tooth got comfortably numb on Thursday afternoon and after 30-40 minutes of trying to remove it, she said there is too much bone there and referred me to an oral surgeon. So I'm a confirmed bonehead. Not like you didn't know that.
   Anyway a few changes for next month's running on the 13th, I'm tempting fate LoL.
I enable the first round plane at T-30 minutes for practice, and announce it; that should be plenty of time to warm up if you are not doing that in the main so KOTH starts at 9:00 pm and that's when practice will end with a .ground for all.
   I'm there primarily to run the event and that has to be my main concern which entails helping new players, even really new players to a degree.
   Maybe I should start a 'Ditch Club' for those who find exiting a fight the way you should in KOTH a difficult thing to do, one of those things that makes the kill count inaccurate. We had 20 ditches in February and that's 20 to many! You know who you are if you get grounded at when you linger out there. Time to use that more also I guess.
   I've been rushing it and will try to run it at a better pace where I don't get swamped. Feel free to state any opinions you have. Lets get on with the results.

February's event lasted about 1 hour and 45 minutes give or take with 8 rounds. We had a maximum of 11 people flying and a pair of wabbits.
Congratulations and -{S}- to Eagler for winning the event. He chose the Bf 109G-2 for March's first chariot of battle.

Round by round results:
1} JeffN in a P47D-11
2} JeffN in a C.202   {Wabbit}
3} Eagler in a FM2
4} T24 in aBf109F-4
5} Eagler in a KI-84-II   {Wabbit}
6} Valerie in a Bf 109G-2
7} trogdor in a La5-FN
8} Eagler wins in a Bf110G-2

Eagler, JeffN, trogdor {most kills} all earn reservations to the TOC.
We also have a attendance slot that I'll have to update. If you missed any you can still get this one as one absence wont eliminate your chances.these.
Logs can be found at http://ahevents.net/index.php/event-logs

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 04:57:26 PM »
So by looking at the results it shows that another CM was at the event but that CM didn't offer help yet trogdor did?

That should be addressed

All CM s are trained to run any event

Just pointing out what is staring me in the face....

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2021, 06:37:09 AM »
Maybe 9pm is too early..that is only 6pm on the left coast

Maybe push to 10 or 10:30est to allow time for more consumption of adult beverages so we don't take it all so seriously

Eagler

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2021, 09:05:45 AM »
I cant stay up that late and function, not that I was functioning anywhere near 100% myself, then. Add the ol’ demon and not sure you want to see that.
Guess we need to find a host that stays up later and drinks.
Maybe March will be better.

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2021, 10:10:13 AM »
Maybe 9pm is too early..that is only 6pm on the left coast

Maybe push to 10 or 10:30est to allow time for more consumption of adult beverages so we don't take it all so seriously

Eagler

Eagler,  if you look back through the threads on this koth forum, you will find that we have already been down that route of starting at 10pm EST/ EDT.....

and the players begged for it to return to the original time it had always been...

Hope this helps

TC

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2021, 10:45:03 AM »
Hi TC

Yes I was one of those asking for an earlier time

I was just trying to lighten the mood

I think fuzeman does a great job hosting and hope he continues

<S>

Eagler

Offline jeffn

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2021, 11:16:10 AM »
So by looking at the results it shows that another CM was at the event but that CM didn't offer help yet trogdor did?

That should be addressed

All CM s are trained to run any event

Just pointing out what is staring me in the face....

TC

TC,

What is written above is a false accusation. I did try to help this new pilot as did others.

He/She was typing on the help channel and i was replying on the help channel on how to change countries. They eventually were able to join and get to the base we were flying from but due to a mix up with plane set and being able to fly he took off in an AC that was not suppose to be enabled. After being grounded, he left. Not sure they understood what was going on, i never seen his handle before.

A shame too, more patients with new players would be a good thing, instead of "he didn't read the arena mssg, move on" type of attitude.
-JeffN-
Jagdgeschwader 11

JG11

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2021, 02:48:56 PM »
TC,

What is written above is a false accusation. I did try to help this new pilot as did others.

He/She was typing on the help channel and i was replying on the help channel on how to change countries. They eventually were able to join and get to the base we were flying from but due to a mix up with plane set and being able to fly he took off in an AC that was not suppose to be enabled. After being grounded, he left. Not sure they understood what was going on, i never seen his handle before.

A shame too, more patients with new players would be a good thing, instead of "he didn't read the arena mssg, move on" type of attitude.

Thanks for clarification Jeff....I was going by what was posted in this thread...is why I  didn't post your name specifically because I didn't know all the details

No worries

TC

PS- how long does the AH CM Staff let a CM carry the CM Staff tags when they are not even doing anything for the AH community.... seems things have changed and become very relaxed, unlike how things used to be....answer me via PM... not on the public forum

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2021, 02:50:44 PM »
Hi TC

Yes I was one of those asking for an earlier time

I was just trying to lighten the mood

I think fuzeman does a great job hosting and hope he continues

<S>

Eagler

Agreed

<S>

TC