Author Topic: 100 K/d in a Sturmbocke.  (Read 1683 times)

Offline Flavel

• Zinc Member
100 K/d in a Sturmbocke.
« on: February 15, 2021, 04:10:49 PM »
After an intensely, grueling two weeks, I am retiring my indomitable Sturmbocke.

Time to fly something else.  Anything else, really. 

100 kills, no deaths.  Accomplished in 60 sorties of which 56 were landed and 4 had to be ditched. 
58 sorties in the A-8.

Along the way, I did learn a lot about air combat in the MA and now have a great deal of empathy for the Luftwaffe's "gray hares."

I wish I could say it was skill.  While skill was a prerequisite, a lot more was required.  To be frank, it was luck. 
For instance, I don't care how awesome the fire power is on a A-8, do you really think you can survive more then a dozen HO merges?   

A 190a-8 excels at shooting down bombers.  But bombers shoot back.  Can you pick off 50+ bombers in various situations and survive the exercise?

In the end, it became a grind in managing damage and knowing when to disengage while all-the-while
maintaining a level of SA that bordered on paranoia.  There were a lot of very close calls.

While this kind of flying may have been historically accurate, it's not really in keeping with the spirit
of Aces High with it's premium on dog fighting.  Also, may as well admit it, its just not fun.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: 100 K/d in a Sturmbocke.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 04:48:49 PM »
It's "Sturmbock"  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 04:59:06 PM »
Nice accomplishment!

But imagine if everyone played that way? As if you only had one life?

It would be a very boring and sad game.

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Flavel

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 04:59:22 PM »
It's "Sturmbock"  :old:

Thanks Lusche.  Sturmbock it is.  I just don't use the word often enough in casual conversation.

Offline Flavel

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 05:01:27 PM »
Nice accomplishment!

But imagine if everyone played that way? As if you only had one life?

It would be a very boring and sad game.

Eagler

Totally agree.  I don't recommend flying like its one life as it quickly becomes unfun. 

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 08:01:44 PM »
Hey man that's a great job in that ole 190A8. Very challenging plane to be successful in in the MA. I give it to you. I use it for HO rampages mostly lol.

You don't have to retire it, just fly other planes as well. The P47-D25 or M, or N are similar in style.

"Staying alive" is very challenging in the MA. In my longest streak, I blacked out instantly somehow going straight down on some bombers too high and fast. Woke up just intime to watch me lawn dart going 600mph into the ground.

It's a very boring patient game running from fights when you might be picked and know you might not be able to out turn the plane chasing you. Having the patience to get alt and stay fast is the key skill, along with working on your E fighting management. It will help you in a lot of situations in the MA.

:salute

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 08:16:47 PM »
While this kind of flying may have been historically accurate, it's not really in keeping with the spirit
of Aces High with it's premium on dog fighting.  Also, may as well admit it, its just not fun.

Heh.  The A8 is the one plane in AH that I have never been able to figure out a way to dogfight with.  (Note to my 7th grade English teacher:  Please forgive me for that sentence.)  Have tried to do so for years and years, in AvA and in MA and even in H2H.  It just doesn't work out.  The irritating aspect is that contemporary Allied pilots had trouble fighting it 1v1, at least at low altitudes.  Can't duplicate that here...or at least, I can't.

Congrats on working with it so long.

- oldman

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 10:02:55 PM »
Hey man that's a great job in that ole 190A8. Very challenging plane to be successful in in the MA. I give it to you. I use it for HO rampages mostly lol.

You don't have to retire it, just fly other planes as well. The P47-D25 or M, or N are similar in style.

"Staying alive" is very challenging in the MA. In my longest streak, I blacked out instantly somehow going straight down on some bombers too high and fast. Woke up just intime to watch me lawn dart going 600mph into the ground.

It's a very boring patient game running from fights when you might be picked and know you might not be able to out turn the plane chasing you. Having the patience to get alt and stay fast is the key skill, along with working on your E fighting management. It will help you in a lot of situations in the MA.

:salute

The 47m and N are actually surprisingly agile when light.

I dont find the A8 fun to fly at all. The A5 kn the other hand is a nifty plane.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2021, 04:50:07 AM »
The A8 with 2 cannons is not that bad, removing a quarter of a ton from the wings, however its not an  A5.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2021, 08:08:05 AM »
Even so it really is a boring MA ride. If you can't run and ho, your only options are to stick stir and hope for a snapshot on an overshoot...

That is unless you're going buff hunting or doing strafing runs.

Offline Flavel

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2021, 08:37:44 AM »
Even so it really is a boring MA ride. If you can't run and ho, your only options are to stick stir and hope for a snapshot on an overshoot...

That is unless you're going buff hunting or doing strafing runs.

The part I find boring flying the Sturmbock is the 5 - 10 minutes climb from base, but that's true in any aircraft.

Flying this beast is like playing chess.  I'm hunting and avoiding hunters.  When I actually achieve the merge I'm in the endgame.
Unless I'm engaging bombers, the merge very rarely progresses to a dogfight unless it's on my terms.  Otherwise it's shoot and scoot.   
There is just too much going on in a dogfight to adequately track and I bleed energy like a stuck pig.  Get in, get out, get away.

The experience is intense and cerebral.  If it gets "exciting" I've screwed up somehow.  Situational Awareness is everything.

A word about HO'ing.  I stopped seeking any HO gun solution flying this frame.  Still if an opponent turns into me what am I going to do?
Turn away?   I found the best compromise is to wobble and jink a bit as my opponent approaches.  I don't need him calibrating for long
range hits.  I start shooting just as the range counter goes to 1000 yards and make a sharp break at 600 yards.  After the merge I'll disengage. 
With this approach I find I might take a hit or two but nothing serious.  Meanwhile the frikking mustang has a smoking engine and doesn't
want to chase me down.

Offline Flavel

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2021, 08:45:56 AM »
The reason people have difficulty flying the heavy 190 is simply they think of it as a fighter, fly it like a fighter,
and get creamed by fighters.

It's not a fighter in the conventional sense as it has no business dogfighting except in limited conditions.

It's not a fighter.  It's a killer. 

You don't fight with it.  You just kill.   :devil

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2021, 08:55:01 AM »
The 47m and N are actually surprisingly agile when light.

I dont find the A8 fun to fly at all. The A5 kn the other hand is a nifty plane.
The 47M especially can do some pretty magical things.

A5 is a dream bird!
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Flavel

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2021, 09:16:08 AM »
The 47M especially can do some pretty magical things.

A5 is a dream bird!

47M is a monster!  Death by superior horsepower with a side of combat flaps.

A5 is spritely but, like the A8, it can run out of E though it does take a bit longer.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2021, 10:56:19 AM »
Over 20k, it takes the A8 a 25mile radius to flat turn 180' without losing alt... Super job OP.
"So far the score is Gunzo 237 - Skyyr 0"
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho