Author Topic: Windows 10 Pro Question  (Read 777 times)

Offline AKQwik

• Copper Member
Windows 10 Pro Question
« on: February 16, 2021, 04:55:23 PM »
Every Sunday one of my Win10 Pro computers turns itself on.  I have wake up timers disabled and maintenance wake up off.  Is there something else I'm missing?  If it's some other program outside of windows, I haven't found it.

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
Re: Windows 10 Pro Question
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 07:58:44 PM »
Every Sunday one of my Win10 Pro computers turns itself on.  I have wake up timers disabled and maintenance wake up off.  Is there something else I'm missing?  If it's some other program outside of windows, I haven't found it.

Check your bios. You have wake up functionality in most Mother board Firmware/Bios which is most likely cause Specially if it starts up from a OFF state.

If it does it while Unplugged from all power sources however you have another problem and you should seek professional help from an Exorcist.  :devil
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 01:25:15 AM »
For some reason I started thinking about your issue when slowly waking up this morning. Maintenance was one thing that popped into my mind but you say it's off. Defender auto scan was another suspect.

Have you checked the Optimize and Defrag settings of your hard drives? They seem to be on a weekly basis by default. Here's the path: https://winaero.com/optimize-drives-schedule-windows-10/
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline AKQwik

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 07:08:58 AM »
Thank you both.  I'll look into it.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 03:23:25 AM »
I'm going to sound like an idiot since I didn't bother to note the source. It seems that Intel, at least, has built in the ability for their chipsets to periodically wake from shutdown and check for updates. The newer chips and chipsets are never truly off, they never were anyway, but now the OS can use that to do updates and phone home.
The way I read the article led me to believe I'd have to shut down the power supply to be truly off. Otherwise there are several supported levels of "off".
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline AKQwik

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 07:17:04 AM »
Bizman, it looks like your suggestion worked.  The computer was off this morning.  Thank you.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 10:38:01 AM »
Glad you seem to have it sorted  :aok
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni