Author Topic: Help for a film noob  (Read 675 times)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Help for a film noob
« on: February 01, 2021, 11:09:28 PM »
I had a really good fight with Silent last night, which I filmed.  I can figure out how to see it from the cockpit of each plane, even from a trail position, but there must be some way to watch both planes at once, and even to make one of the fine films that people keep posting.

So:  Where's a noob like me supposed to find the basic instructions on how to work films?

- oldman

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: Help for a film noob
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 07:33:16 AM »
In the viewer, in the right pane, click(double? I forget) on the plane you want. You're there. Now if you have use views (or whatever it is) selected it's gonna use YOUR views, not theirs so you might want to uncheck that and use the hat switches to avoid confusion.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 08:06:45 AM »
The only way to watch BOTH planes at the same time is from "external" view and zoomed out. I add the "trails" to make it easier to follow what each plane does. I also turn off use views because in my version of the film viewer there is a bug that messes up the external view.

To get a more "cinematic" type view of both planes in the fight you would have to use a video editor to cut and dub a bunch of different pieces off the film to create the "jump from one view/plane to the other and such. Also, if you were going to go through that much trouble to make the video it would be better to get "Silents" film to use in the cuts. Jumping into another plane give more or an "aprociment" set to the plane instead of the full data. Thats why it sometimes looks like the plane a sliding or slewing at odd time during the playback.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 09:06:41 PM »
Thanks, gents, zooming back helped a lot.  Still wish there were a way to stand back a bit further to watch the two planes fight, but this was an improvement.

- oldman

Offline ULPink

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 12:08:03 PM »
I had a really good fight with Silent last night, which I filmed.  I can figure out how to see it from the cockpit of each plane, even from a trail position, but there must be some way to watch both planes at once, and even to make one of the fine films that people keep posting.

So:  Where's a noob like me supposed to find the basic instructions on how to work films?

- oldman

I have not had luck with the film editor...my uncle had adobe premier on his computer.  I record with OBS studio (free) and then edit the videos in Premiere Pro.  You can find free edit software too for simple edits.
Check Six!