Author Topic: A Dopey P-400  (Read 569 times)

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
A Dopey P-400
« on: February 25, 2021, 11:02:42 PM »
This soviet P-400(Ex-RAF) was painted overall in silver dope over the winter of 1942-43. Despite being a well know photo, the usual fighter regiment credited with owning this aircraft (2 GSAP) seems incorrect to me. The 2 GSAP designation is often seen in conjunction with color profiles of questionable reliability. Furthermore, 2 GSAP was redesignated 2 GIAP (navy) in October 1942, when it also received its first Airacobras. I would expect to find this photo with a caption referencing 2 GIAP somewhere if it did actually belong to this regiment. Also, my most trusted source on soviet aviation has this plane filed under 28 GIAP, which I agree with.

28 GIAP operated as part of the 6th Air Army in the Northwest Front at this time. They engaged the Luftwaffe between Velikiye Luki and Staraya Russa.

This aircraft is painted with silver dope, which I chose to depict as being an overall coat. Some sources claim it is only on the upper surfaces. I'll probably update Fencer's 2 GSAP skin with a partial silver dope coat at some point, but I want to first skin a silver P-39 how I feel is most accurate.

Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: A Dopey P-400
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 11:10:37 PM »
Unusual and cool.  Nice job.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 11:14:02 PM »
Looks really nice
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 12:04:12 AM »
Interesting.... nice job.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 12:17:51 AM »
 :aok

Thought it was interesting how the Russians used silver in the early part of the war as there camouflage while the Western forces used white paint instead.

Most of the links from this site dont
work anymore it had some good stuff on the subject.

http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/board/index.php?topic=1799.75

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 12:27:21 AM »
:aok

Thought it was interesting how the Russians used silver in the early part of the war as there camouflage while the Western forces used white paint instead.

Most of the links from this site dont
work anymore it had some good stuff on the subject.

http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/board/index.php?topic=1799.75

The Russians probably figured that the winter paint needed to also be similar in reflectivity and figured silver was better in that regard than plain white.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 08:17:39 AM »
Is the AH3 engine able to do whitewash white as well? I’ve heard there are some issues with white and was wondering if that is why you chose a silver subject.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 08:19:56 AM by Citabria »
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2021, 09:14:30 AM »
Is the AH3 engine able to do whitewash white as well? I’ve heard there are some issues with white and was wondering if that is why you chose a silver subject.

It's definitely possible. The issue with the AH3 lighting is that light and bright colors tend to wash out and glow when in direct sunlight. The remedy is to draw those items on the diffuse maps with dull tones and let the game engine brighten them to their realistic levels. Since white is both light and bright, it requires using shades of distinctly light gray to look like realistic white paint in game.

For example, this is a a whitewashed 109G-2 that I just finished.

I think you'll agree that the whitewash looks realistically white in game.

Now, here are the colors I used with actual pure white (RGB 225/225/225) and pure neutral gray (RGB 128/128/128) to show how much closer to neutral gray you need to make white paints to appear well in the game.

Colors left to right: pure white, insignia white, whitewash white, pure neutral gray

This is what happens when you use white that is too close to white...

Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2021, 09:50:48 AM »
Very nice detail and sheen for the dope effect.  Love the difference in specularity level between the paint and the worn-bare aluminum on the walkway areas.   Nice touch with the winter map too.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2021, 12:03:37 PM »
Great job on a really unusual scheme Devil.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2021, 12:32:34 PM »
Looks really great! Great job!
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!