Author Topic: Routers  (Read 2390 times)

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
Routers
« on: March 05, 2021, 10:23:06 AM »
Folks,

Slowly getting my watermelon together at new abode. Upstate NY.
Luckily I have broadband so when I start flying again I can play with a good service.

Currently I use a $10 router. It has always work fine, in apartment I gamed on it with success.
 Now I am in the country and my cell service is nil. I use wifi calling with google fi, it works well for my pixel phone, so I do not have to get a hard line on top of my broadband service. Broadband is all I want to pay for. Plus fi cost, together under $90/mth.

The cheap routers wifi does not extend into my yard well. I want a router with extended wifi range that will help with my phone outside. Inside I will use a lan line to game with. Want the best lan performance as well as wifi 6 performance. Any suggestions for a good choice appreciated.

I note that the ASUS ROG  Rapture GT router seems good but its $290. I have a tendency to buy or build for online gaming since it gives best overall device performance. $290 seems a little high tho, altho I see some for almost $500. Also want a product with longevity. Broadway still closed, no work so I want to be money smart. Burning my retirement dollars.

ty
 :old:
 :airplane:
 :joystick:
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: Routers
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 10:49:34 AM »
Where at in Upstate?

I use a Netgear AC1750, runs about $100 but there are other beefier models, and probably some around the same price point but Wifi 6. There really isn't a need to be spending multiple hundreds of dollars on routers IMO.

Another option is to buy an extender and put it somewhere closer to the yard so it will span a bit farther.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 11:05:01 AM »
Just got this router to replace my Netgear Nighthawk router.

ASUS AX5700 WiFi 6.  Got it to handle my WiFi 6 compatible devices and gigabyte broadband speed.  The ASUS software is also much better than Netgears.  Little pricey but it helps future proof my nerwork
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 11:53:09 AM »
Mine is Netgear Nighthawk It covers my 2200 sq ft home and outside a good ways.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 04:17:03 PM »
Where at in Upstate?

I use a Netgear AC1750, runs about $100 but there are other beefier models, and probably some around the same price point but Wifi 6. There really isn't a need to be spending multiple hundreds of dollars on routers IMO.

Another option is to buy an extender and put it somewhere closer to the yard so it will span a bit farther.

Addison, west of Binghampton, right on Pa border.

Folks I have looked at wifi extenders as well. They can run as much as a cheap router, but I figure I should get a good router tho. My $10 OnNetworks can be set up as a repeater, thats why I router hunting. Its 2021 now, might as well update. I will investigate what y'all posted.
tanx
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 09:24:57 PM »
I've got a TP-Link AC1200 that gives me a range of about 100 ft for 2.4 GHz.  It cost $45.  I got it so that I could get more range.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2021, 06:21:39 AM »
They have remote access points that increase wifi range

Spectrum has there own the techs use in larger homes to correct weak spots

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2021, 10:47:18 AM »
the spectrum wifi ap's have very poor range from personal experience. Plus $50 install fee plus monthy rental fees also. Better off buying a really good mesh system
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Online Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2021, 01:00:23 PM »
After adding up the rental fees for all the set top boxes and modem, that alone was the end of cable TV for me. Ridiculous ammount over the course of a year! I ditched it and went to internet only. Unfortunately, Comcast is the only option in my neck of the woods. Bought my own compatible modem for under a hundred bucks at Walmart. That paid for itself quickly! Use Roku devices for everything else and they work perfectly. Router is a few years old (Linksys WRT1900ACS) reaches the whole house fine. Only have a repeater on my porch to cover the back part of the yard better.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2021, 01:15:29 PM »
wow, I guess I have it easy. 83 bucks a month for internet and cable. internet choice is only att dsl or spectrum. spectrum is cheaper, have my own wifi router and it reaches the street.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Online Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2021, 01:28:39 PM »
For me it really wasn't so much the cost of the cable itself. That is what it is especially in my area where there's literally no competition. It was after adding up the cost of renting all the gear ON TOP OF that. I think just the modem was like $15/mo! I saved a ton of money going to streaming services that have no contracts. A no brainer really once you start doing the math.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2021, 06:22:14 PM »
i mean 83 for everything, 3 boxes, 1 modem plus basic cable. I also get a discount because my cellphone is thru them.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2021, 08:03:32 PM »
Something off this list:

https://wiki.freshtomato.org/doku.php/hardware_compatibility

Edit: Check Amazon / Newegg / Ebay for a refurbished model to get it cheaper... just be sure to fully reset it before using it.  Flashing it with Tomato will likely do that part thoroughly.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 08:05:41 PM by BoilerDown »
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2021, 08:18:48 PM »
If it has external antennas, what about upgrading the antennas with something like this? There are other options, just giving an example. That high of frequency you have to be careful of cable loss especially when the power output is just in milliwatts

https://www.amazon.com/Bingfu-Magnetic-Rosewill-Gigabyte-Wireless/dp/B07PFLXV2L
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2021, 12:41:37 PM »
TP Link routers

Anything bad about them?

:headscratch: