Author Topic: Routers  (Read 2153 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Re: Routers
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2021, 02:41:24 PM »
TP Link routers

Anything bad about them?

:headscratch:

I have one and like it.

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2021, 01:11:35 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AX6000-8-Stream-Smart-Router/dp/B07L56SN8M/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=kessil112-20&linkId=60f43d36cec58486e865b3e7401f4b5c&language=en_US

I been eyeing this 1.
Dual band, tri not needed
quad cpu, better overall speed, less buffering
wifi 6, better overall speed
8 lan ports
smart device

Seems the ones with more than 4 lan ports are way up there price wise. I do prefer more hard wired ports tbh. Hate the price, but if I get 10 years out of it.......

Brooke how old is your TP Link router?
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2021, 01:40:16 PM »
Brooke how old is your TP Link router?

I've had it for 1 year.  It cost $45 for the TP-Link AC1200.

Has worked fine and gives me a lot more range on wifi than the wifi built into my cable modem, including through 2 walls and one brick fireplace to give me good signal on the patio and out into the yard.  I have a few devices (Roku, etc.) plugged into its physical ethernet ports, and other devices (including our mobile phones) connect to it through wifi.

I'm happy with it.

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2021, 03:14:24 PM »
I've had it for 1 year.  It cost $45 for the TP-Link AC1200.

Has worked fine and gives me a lot more range on wifi than the wifi built into my cable modem, including through 2 walls and one brick fireplace to give me good signal on the patio and out into the yard.  I have a few devices (Roku, etc.) plugged into its physical ethernet ports, and other devices (including our mobile phones) connect to it through wifi.

I'm happy with it.

:salute
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2021, 04:17:38 PM »
With routers and modems... you'll usually get what you pay for.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline mikeWe9a

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2021, 12:13:22 PM »
You mentioned Wifi6 as being something you wanted.  Wifi 6 isn't going to be all that cheap, but do you really need it?  Odds are that unless you recently upgraded, your phone doesn't even use it.

Offline jigsaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2021, 12:19:08 AM »
Wifi 6 is going to be a short life.  If you can hold out a few months Wifi 6E routers will start coming to market and you'll have better longevity. 

Offline HL117

• Nickel Member
      • Aircams
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2021, 07:50:42 AM »
They have remote access points that increase wifi range

Spectrum has there own the techs use in larger homes to correct weak spots

Eagler

Eagler - Do you use Spectrum s modem they provide, I know the wifi router is rented on Spectrum plans and you can buy your own, not so sure about the modem.
Whether you think you can or cannot, you are right!

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2021, 10:34:20 AM »
Eagler - Do you use Spectrum s modem they provide, I know the wifi router is rented on Spectrum plans and you can buy your own, not so sure about the modem.
This right here is what got me off cable. The price was bad enough before adding up all the device rentals. I think the modem alone was like 12-15 bucks a month with Comcast. I turned in all their stuff and bought my own. Got a better spec modem at Walmart for like 90 bucks and a decent router. Both have been ticking away for a couple of years now and have clearly paid for themselves vs renting them from the cable company.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2021, 12:54:37 PM »
I must have gotten lucky... although they sent me a Spectrum modem/router w/wifi... I told them that I didn't want wifi and run the WAN to my own personal router w/wifi 2.4GHz/5.0 GHz...

I don't pay any fees for the Spectrum modem, or the 2 Spectrum DVR cable boxes

I still get a $20 discount on my Spectrum mobile phone account but made damn sure that I kept my Spectrum home service separate from my Spectrum mobile service to where neither has anything to do with the other...

I have 2 Amazon 4HD 4K firesticks (also have 2 Google thingamajigs..theywork same wayastheFiresticks) that a friend of mine can load some software on that will allow me to pick up anything and everything cable TV has,  directTV has and DishNetwork has to offer as well as multiple numerous other channels around the globe... just  cost 19.95 quarterly (every 3 months)... hoping to finally cut the cable TV connection for good in the next month or two... but Spectrum is also bumping my net speed from 200Mbps up to 400Mbps at no additional charge

Am probably going to have to invest into a new router,  mine has been going basically none stop 24/7 for over 10+ years now and is starting to show some signs of wear and tear....there  were about 4 to 6 years there  I was  letting my Daughter in Hawaii, my Daughter in Florida and my 3 nieces  and their sons and daughters login to my home server to watch movies or download music, etc all hours day and night... even while I was gaming or playing AH or doing other stuff...

Got sidetracked...

I would like to find me a mpeg2 sidecart for  our 12ft mesh satellite dish to hook to my  HD 4DTV DSR922 Receiver box and use my C-band & Ku-band feed horns  with a digital converter .... I  think I am pretty sure I can bypass a lot of  red tape and watch just about anything I want to for free... just need me an mpeg2 sidecart  and a digital converter

Gonna put that project on the back burner for now and follow through with the firestick setup for now
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2021, 01:56:16 PM »
I use the TG1682 Arris modem spectrum provided for data and phone but use a netgear nighthawk for the wifi router

Eagler
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 01:59:53 PM by Eagler »
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2021, 02:59:26 PM »
You mentioned Wifi6 as being something you wanted.  Wifi 6 isn't going to be all that cheap, but do you really need it?  Odds are that unless you recently upgraded, your phone doesn't even use it.
[/quote

So I got the TP Link 6000.
Little finicky to set up, but I do see quicker loading times on wired PC and WIFI. I also got a cat 6 cable for between company modem and router, 100' long. Speed tests show a slight increase as well.

WIFI 6, this was about my cell phone in the near future. All backward compatible so I do benefit from new protocols. Current one does not use but I expect my next upgrade will. I use wifi calling at house since no companies cell signal comes thru to house, so its a big help not having to pay for land line service or broadband phone service. Plus I can use dual sims, I will drop 1 service next year, saving a smidge more.

I drifted to PIXEL phones because I can get BETA vers of latest Android OS with ease. Currently use a Pixel 3 with Android 11. Will be get a beta vers of 12 prolly before summer. I have had no issues with beta vers and since its the latest vers. I do not worry about hacks so much. I generally turn everything off, its only a communication device, not a wallet, payer, or anything else.
 I will prolly get a pixel 5 next, waiting for price drop and for a higher trade-in value.

:airplane: