Author Topic: Makeahmap download error  (Read 1803 times)

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
Makeahmap download error
« on: March 07, 2021, 11:12:33 AM »
Started experimenting with this program, ran into a download issue;

- Latitude, longitude range and scale
    Lat:     28.284     34.216
    Lon:     30.301     37.239
  Scale:      0.800
- Loading ground type mapping europe.csv
- Loading GlobCover Data.
- Loading Digital Elevations Model data.
  - Downloading https://dds.cr.usgs.gov/srtm/version2_1/SRTM3/Africa/N34E032.hgt.zip
      downloaded:   0.0B
Error:Failed to download file https://dds.cr.usgs.gov/srtm/version2_1/SRTM3/Africa/N34E032.hgt.zip to ./temp/tmp.zip
Press Enter to exit...

Not sure why. I changed the download text as was mentioned to Kong.  :headscratch:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
Re: Makeahmap download error
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 12:58:53 PM »
Looks like srtm3/30 database moved/removed

Need to find a new mirror

Try to use gtopo30 instead it has lower resolution but at least you can start working/testing

Need to find a new mirror
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 01:38:14 PM »
If you google n34e032.hgt.zip, or any of the other zips, you get a page of references and a couple of them are to esa.int. Follow the link for your new sources. Hopefully they are the most recent.
Artik made it easy to change the path in his .cfg file. Follow his instructions in the ReadMe file.

The location of these files change every year or two, so it's a good idea to download the entire data base if you'll be doing much work with them or to future proof next years runs.

Searching on the individual zip files has always worked while the data has moved many times and the agencies hosting it has changed a few times as well. Oh, and github shows as a possible source, but if there are updates to correct the missing data, it should be on the official government sites.

Silly me, I should have pasted in the link:
https://step.esa.int/auxdata/dem/SRTMGL1/
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 01:46:37 PM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 03:00:45 PM »

Silly me, I should have pasted in the link:
https://step.esa.int/auxdata/dem/SRTMGL1/

Excellent I'll try to see if I can update the sources

If you can prepare the list it would make the process simpler

@HTC wouldn't you take it and integrate it to the terrain editor?

It is all under permissive MIT license

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2021, 04:01:46 PM »
Got it running now, SRTM3 and GTOPT30, have not tried SRTM30. This is slick.  :x

I'm still playing with it so far, I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Artik,  you sir are phenomenal!!!!  :salute
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2021, 04:52:47 PM »
Got a terrain generated, but I have the ridges running east/west. Is this normal, I can flatten them out in the terrain editor, just wondering, or is there an adjustment in the config.ini that would smooth it out.  :headscratch:

« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 05:01:27 PM by JimmyD3 »
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2021, 10:00:20 PM »
Got a terrain generated, but I have the ridges running east/west. Is this normal, I can flatten them out in the terrain editor, just wondering, or is there an adjustment in the config.ini that would smooth it out.  :headscratch:

JimmyD,
I'm making an assumption as to what happened. And not that eso used a new incompatible compression/uncompression version.
I'm afraid I wasn't clear. Don't download the files by hand, let Artik's program do that so that it will unpack the files properly.
Use the program with very large swaths of Lon/Lat values to catch as many SRTM files as possible unless you know beforehand that you only want ETO etc., then just grab a large enough swath to capture those. Otherwise you must unpack the zip files followed by unpacking the resulting hgt files with 7zip, for each file! That's very laborious.

Artik,
There's really no need to do much of anything on your end. I think the reason the source STRMs get moved regularly is because of programs that download the entire set repeatedly and unnecessarily. I didn't check gethub's archive, but you might want to link their archive instead if they are more likely to remain available long term. You can also explain how to search for potential updated sources by searching for one of the SRTM files as I do. Leave it up to the user to do the search and config file link pointer change. Just tell him how.
In the cause for future proofing, it's also possible that in the future, .hgt.zip might be replaced with a new compression standard. Then the user would need to download and uncompress the files manually and place them in your data folder. The search for the SRTM files should still be similar. I stopped following this sort of thing 5 or 10 years ago but iirc, Lzip(?) or something similar might come along and overturn the apple cart.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 10:05:49 PM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2021, 11:29:38 PM »
That is what I did, after I updated the Download_sources file. I will try another map just to see if it does it differently. Now the scale was set to 0.8, would that have anything to do with it?? The CBM came out real nice, and everything looks good except for the ridges, which I can fix, it just takes time. I used Long. 32.57 and Lati. 97.29 for a 512 map.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 11:34:19 PM by JimmyD3 »
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2021, 07:13:51 PM »
Okay, I'm still not being clear. I'm in the middle of transferring all my files and folders to a new machine so I have no way of verifying folder names etc. right now.

Don't uncompress the files. Don't manually grab the files and download them, sorry about that.
Empty your data folder of all the files you manually downloaded and uncompressed, START OVER.
If you've updated the download link in Artik's config file to the eso link, you're good to go. Run his program again and all should be well. His program will download all necessary compressed SRTM and uncompress them. iirc, the uncompressed files are what ends up in the data(?) folder. This will happen in the background, and when done, the new elevations should be fixed.
Yes, his program is that smart.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2021, 11:52:04 PM »
Well tried another map after deleting all the downloaded files, per your instructions. Ran a new selection, it came out much better but here are still some ridges, not everywhere but some. I am very impressed with the simplicity of the program, I mean if a dummy like me can follow instructions (most of the time) anyone can do this. Having fun now with a map of the Great Lakes area.  :x
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2021, 02:30:45 PM »
Yes, the SMRT data has holes, and most of the time, Artik's program smooths them out nicely, but sometimes I guess they're too big. You'd need to ask Artik about specifics.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2021, 07:09:26 PM »
Fixed!! oh and im quitting the game now! LOL no not really. and ill give it to anyone that wants it!

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2021, 07:53:50 PM »
What did you do Jaeger?? :P
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2021, 12:08:29 AM »
Found a new data source for SRTM30;

"http://srtm.motoroute.me" , this replaces "https://dds.cr.usgs.gov/srtm/version2_1" in the Source file.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2021, 01:55:06 AM »
Found a new data source for SRTM30;

"http://srtm.motoroute.me" , this replaces "https://dds.cr.usgs.gov/srtm/version2_1" in the Source file.

Excellent ill update official download sources file