Author Topic: Starlink experience update  (Read 3518 times)

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
Starlink experience update
« on: March 08, 2021, 03:23:56 PM »
My Starlink went through some serious winter challenges so far, and as far as I'm concerned it has continued to exceed my expectations.   Unlike where many of you live the very cold is normal winter weather here.  We had as cold as -30 F, had a week or so where we did not get above 0, and it looked to me from the ground that my dish was at least partially covered by snow and ice at times.  Apparently the heat given off by the dish was not sufficient to always keep the dish clear.

Through heavy snow, 100% cloud cover, extreme cold, and snow & ice on the dish I never noticed an obvious deterioration in service.  The service seems to continue to improve overall.  I still sometimes disco in game,  but that was my situation with 4G LTE, with lower quality,  inconsistent service.  I have a more  consistent better ping than I had with 4G.  With Starlink my AH ping is mostly about 70 to 110 ms.  Downloads happen right now.....overall in all categories Starlink blows at least the 4G I have here totally out of the water, and I am loving it!  It has hurt my AH gaming because with the high speed streaming & no data cap, I now spend more time streaming TV with my wife.  I spent about 4+ hours online last Saturday in the Leyte scenario, and only had one small burp in service, but not long enough to disco.

Offline svaalbar

• Nickel Member
Re: Starlink experience update
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 04:32:02 PM »
You might have mentioned this before but where in the US are you? A pretty rural area?
"All fighter pilots were a little crazy, but mostly the nicest guys you'd ever meet." The Biography of a Rabbit, by Roy Benson Jr - https://gutenberg.org/files/7190/7190-h/7190-h.htm

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaKxx5UhMZ0REI8E2FGfGag

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 04:49:03 PM »
Montana folks go out in shorts when it's 5 above. LOL

Staying connected with heavy cloud cover and snow IS impressive.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 06:43:10 PM »
...where in the US are you? A pretty rural area?

Yes, small community in the  Big Belt Mountains,  kind of SW/Central Montana.  Mostly National Forest out here. About 200 +  residences spread around mostly in clumps in our 100 Square mile Fire District.

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 06:47:24 PM »
Montana folks go out in shorts when it's 5 above. LOL
Staying connected with heavy cloud cover and snow IS impressive.

Folks who like this country usually are often quite comfortable with the cold......

....and yes, I've been  really impressed with the quality of the service so far, my prior experience with satellite was not at all positive.  I was very  skeptical of Starlink, and then hopeful as I looked into it.  I think it may be past time to retire my mifi.... 

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 03:22:11 PM »
I logged onto YouTube yesterday and an add came up for Hugh's Sat service. The lady said fast 5th generation speed with no data cap.
They are offering 25 meg d/l speeds.......hmmmm... I kinda chuckled......as StarLink users are getting as fast 150 meg d/l speeds for 99 per month.
My niece just received her set up kit. They live in a rural area where no cable, dsl, fiber, is offered and cell service is spotty at best. Now they can watch
Netflix, Youtube, browse the internet, ect

StarLink is planning on doubling the speed later this year. I hope that happens. 

:aok
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 04:08:26 PM »
I logged onto YouTube yesterday and an add came up for Hugh's Sat service. The lady said fast 5th generation speed with no data cap.
They are offering 25 meg d/l speeds.......hmmmm... I kinda chuckled......as StarLink users are getting as fast 150 meg d/l speeds for 99 per month.
My niece just received her set up kit. They live in a rural area where no cable, dsl, fiber, is offered and cell service is spotty at best. Now they can watch

StarLink is planning on doubling the speed later this year. I hope that happens. 

Just checked my speeds using Speedtest.  Ping 47 ms, DL 234.79 megs UL 29.26 megs.  Snowing lightly, ~ 80 % cloud cover.  Definitely degrades with weather, but the only way I notice it is if I actually measure it.  Checked again  and got ping as low as 23 & DL as high as 288.9!

When I came back  to Aces High about 2008 I had WildBlue Satellite...ended up buying a dial-up modem and a dial up account so I could get reasonable enough latency to play Aces High.   Was happy when Verizon put in a new tower close enough that I  could get a boostable 4G signal, but that doesn't come close to what I have now with Starlink....first time I've had true broadband at home and we're loving it!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 04:29:01 PM by DaddyAce »

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2021, 02:53:12 PM »

They keep sending more starlink satellites up and increase the ground terminals the service will improve.
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2021, 10:42:39 PM »
When the first massive CME hits the Earth, that's when Starlink will either pass the mustard or...
Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2021, 10:17:53 AM »
When the first massive CME hits the Earth, that's when Starlink will either pass the mustard or...
...cause a mass chain collision reaction and turn the lower space orbit of our planet into a impenetrable shield of Starlink space junk bits, and ending space exploration as we know it... just saying.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2021, 09:19:02 PM »
I can navigate through it, I played Frogger and Freeway on the Atari  :aok
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2021, 08:12:28 PM »
  I been waiting for starlink to IPO a stock. I think this will scare the pants off the hardwired providers.
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2021, 04:38:34 PM »
Indeed Slate. Technology disrupters put companies out of business. The Osborne Effect keeps many companies from rolling out important updates in a more timely manner as well.

:salute

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2021, 03:32:42 PM »
He mentions the cost in this video, but that is Canadian dollars. Canada may have higher taxes as well. Maybe someone in the forum who lives in Canada would have an explanation for that part concerning costs. Over all he is getting some decent speeds d/l and u/l.  Hopefully StarLink will offer a special rate for those who travel alot with their RV's. ( I did not GV's  :D).

:salute

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2021, 10:10:45 AM »
Mano, if you are thinking of RV use you better find out if starlink does "spot beaming" like hughesnet went to. If that is the case then you can't travel with it. For RV use you need a broad beam signal like hughesnet USED to have. I used hughesnet for several years and was even an installer for other RVers. The new system killed it for traveling though and with the stupid low data limit 270 meg a day regular hours (unlimited at 0200 to 0500 Eastern time) not practical for streaming. I got better internet capabilities using my verizon phone as a modem (tethering) to my tabletop. Of course even verizon has dead zones and where I live I had to buy a cell booster for the house because our valley is almost a dead zone.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown