Author Topic: Starlink experience update  (Read 3519 times)

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
Re: Starlink experience update
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2021, 10:48:47 AM »

If/when Starlink becomes truly mobile/portable with full functionality, I'll be very interested.
Having satellite internet was a huge plus in my line of work, when I was in locations that had little or no cell signal at all.
Wasn't a fan of HughesNet at all.......too quirky and hard to set up.  Went with ViaSat (I believe they were also know as WildBlue at some point)
and loved it.  Super easy set up, unlimited data, quick download speeds.....ended up having the pumpers and other client personnel coming by
to "borrow" my internet when they needed to get their reports sent out quickly and reliably.
Took it as far east as eastern Oklahoma and as far north as Colorado, south to Pecos, TX......no matter where I took it on a job, it worked without
a hitch.  Kept my "service address" here in the Texas Panhandle, used it everywhere BUT here at home.
So yeah, once they make it truly mobile and portable like ViaSat was, I'll be signing up.  Got work in ND and UT coming up where cell signals are iffy at best, even
with the best 4G/5G cell booster I can afford.

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2021, 06:39:02 PM »
To add to my update....I mentioned lack of discos during the first Leyte frame.  Well  during the second  frame I had a good 4 or more discos, very annoying.  Starlink service is still Beta status, so they have  periodic short outages while they update things.   Thankfully during the last 2 Leyte frames  was back to no discos at all.

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2021, 01:28:52 PM »
They just launched another batch of satellites. It will get better.

:aok
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2021, 02:09:14 PM »
He mentions the cost in this video, but that is Canadian dollars. Canada may have higher taxes as well. Maybe someone in the forum who lives in Canada would have an explanation for that part concerning costs. Over all he is getting some decent speeds d/l and u/l.  Hopefully StarLink will offer a special rate for those who travel alot with their RV's. ( I did not GV's  :D).

:salute

I didnt watch the video but 2 thing,our dollar is worth about 80 cents US and our taxes vary from province to province,where I live there's a 13% sales tax or as they call it HST.Thats both fed and province. It's now called the homalganated sales tax and it used to be called GST or goods and service tax.

I have fiber-optic net1 gig down and 300 megs up,cost about 100 dollars for that,but it include my phone as well,no data plan on the cell tho.Add in cable TV and all the extra channels I never watch and it's about 200 total per month.

:salute

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2021, 07:00:35 AM »
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Rondar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2021, 07:06:21 PM »
I think you guys are just looking for a problem since it's Musk doing it.  As the article states... it is very much still in beta form. 
Also, any satellite dish I have ever had has a problem with trees.  It's just not starlink that has a problem with trees.  I've had a dish of some sort for over 40 years, and heavy rain, snow, etc will block the signal for a bit til it clears. 

And  I'll tell you what is obnoxious, it's someone with a diesel pickup who just lets them run all the time.  I don't think anyone needs a diesel pickup.  Gas ones have enough power. If you are pulling thaaaaat big of a load, you need a real truck.
To understand true love, lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for an hour and then see which one is glad to see you when you come back

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2021, 09:14:52 PM »
funny that you mention the diesel truck, just a bit ago, saw a guy revving up a diesel pick up truck, he had one mod that sends a lot of smoke, then his engine started smoking. was funny as hell, i was 3 cars behind him at a stop sign, everybody started laughing at him.  was funny as hell.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2021, 07:28:11 AM »
LOS required

I used to install microwave dishes on > 100 ft towers in north fl when I was 19 in 1979 for a single cable channel Showtime for MDU's and then private residence

Required LOS sucks in many locations

Yes if rain and clouds affect it  too...guess it will be better than nothing for the folks who have nothing now

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2021, 10:55:02 AM »
Starlink update:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1408560379463077891

All 72 orbital planes activate in August, plus many other improvements, enabling global coverage, except for polar regions, which will take another 6 months
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline mikeWe9a

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2021, 09:22:04 AM »
I think you guys are just looking for a problem since it's Musk doing it.  As the article states... it is very much still in beta form. 
Also, any satellite dish I have ever had has a problem with trees.  It's just not starlink that has a problem with trees.  I've had a dish of some sort for over 40 years, and heavy rain, snow, etc will block the signal for a bit til it clears. 

Starlink may have more of a problem with trees than the "traditional" satellite systems, in that those are typically Geostationary, so if you can find a spot with good LOS to the satellite it will stay that way for a while (until the tree grows up or someone puts a building in the way).  With Starlink, the direct line to the satellite will be continuously changing, so your area where obstacles can interfere is going to be much larger, resulting in interruptions in service.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2021, 10:12:46 AM »
Sun outages a factor with these?

Huge cable TV dishes suffered these twice a year

Better than nothing for those in the sticks but not worth ruining the night sky over if it does IMO

Eagler

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2021, 12:40:08 PM »
Sun outages a factor with these?

Probably but when there's enough sats up there it should be able to just pick a different one.  When I had DirecTV there was nothing I could do until the Earth rotated those couple of times a year.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2021, 04:56:06 PM »
Starlink service expanded to many more countries world-wide:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1429923342044176385
Boildown

Offline Peanut1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2021, 05:01:45 PM »

And  I'll tell you what is obnoxious, it's someone with a diesel pickup who just lets them run all the time.  I don't think anyone needs a diesel pickup.  Gas ones have enough power. If you are pulling thaaaaat big of a load, you need a real truck.
I have been on starlink for about 3 months in the rural foothils of WA state. It's been nearly flawless.