Author Topic: Sorting planes by early/mid/late war  (Read 652 times)

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
Sorting planes by early/mid/late war
« on: March 22, 2021, 11:42:37 PM »
When choosing planes in the hangar is there a way to determine if they are early, mid, or late war? If not can we get some way to tell on the menu?

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
Re: Sorting planes by early/mid/late war
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 12:03:02 AM »
Speaking of early/mid/late war. I miss those small arenas with each plane set back in the day.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 08:56:52 AM »
Mid War was a great place for a newbie to start learning Aces High. I spent almost 3 years in Mid War before rolling over into Late War. Used to love catching the Late War guys coming in there to perk farm and messing up their plans lol. Not sure it would work now with the lower numbers, but maybe. I don't recall seeing more than 15 to 30 players at any given time in Mid War. :old:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 05:24:21 PM »
There are many tours I was only in midwar with zero time in MA
I miss those times

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 08:02:23 PM »
I agree that it's a less intimidating place to start for a new player then the MA and I have seen some new names lately that don't appear to be alts/shades too.

Now we just need to have somebody with Dales ear to request it :)

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 12:19:45 PM »
Yeah that would be a nice feature... guess it would mean new tabs... could make things a bit cluttered... I'm sure there would be a way it could be done though.. perhaps the all tab could be an option drop down tab

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2021, 07:23:29 AM »
I think we have similar play styles, if you are looking for early war kills, obviously the P-38G is good for killing gvs with 2x1000lb and great climb rate with it.  I prefer the P-40s with low fuel and single bomb, kill wirble, rearm, repeat.  It has great dive characteristics and pulls out very well when diving on tanks.  P-47D-11 is great for bomber hunting and dogfighting as well.
-Ninja250, -Spectre, -UBerHAGS, -FieroGT, -Haggerty, -Hellcat -Misawa, -Gloom -Nobunaga -Cobrakai

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2021, 03:54:37 PM »
Mid War was a great place for a newbie to start learning Aces High. I spent almost 3 years in Mid War before rolling over into Late War. Used to love catching the Late War guys coming in there to perk farm and messing up their plans lol. Not sure it would work now with the lower numbers, but maybe. I don't recall seeing more than 15 to 30 players at any given time in Mid War. :old:

Yeah, I think mid war would have potentially been more popular if it was a a small map like Smog8 use to be in AH2. It worked great in H2H. Unfortunately, there was no difference in map size and base distance than the regular MA, and people didn't have time to fly that far for a huge arena. I find that big arenas are terrible for small #s because it creates the illusion that there are no, or very small, fights. When you have 6 players in an arena, they don't want to take 10 minutes to meet somewhere to fight. You will he stuck spending most of your time flying back to the fight. They want an arena that's gonna get them into some action that they can easily see on the map.

TLDR: the map and base distances were too big and far for the mid/early war arena.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2021, 07:52:14 PM »
Yeah, I think mid war would have potentially been more popular if it was a a small map like Smog8 use to be in AH2. It worked great in H2H. Unfortunately, there was no difference in map size and base distance than the regular MA, and people didn't have time to fly that far for a huge arena. I find that big arenas are terrible for small #s because it creates the illusion that there are no, or very small, fights. When you have 6 players in an arena, they don't want to take 10 minutes to meet somewhere to fight. You will he stuck spending most of your time flying back to the fight. They want an arena that's gonna get them into some action that they can easily see on the map.

TLDR: the map and base distances were too big and far for the mid/early war arena.

I would say that technically your right, however the interesting part was that everyone that flew in Mid War loved it, the only complainers were the Late War perk farmers that stopped by to get easy perk points. Not saying it never happened, but I don't recall ANY Mid War player whining about the setup.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2021, 10:24:36 PM »
I played in midwar many times, but those in blender planes dominated the air. couldnt fly them so I stopped going there.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.