Author Topic: Does Aces High 3 support 90Hz refresh rate on Oculus Quest 2?  (Read 1093 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
I have a Quest 2 and have 90Hz enabled, but my AH fps is a steady 71.  My system was able to achieve 90fps with my old hp Reverb , so I think it should be capable of a higher refresh rate than 71fps with the Quest 2.

I did some searches and learned this here https://www.aivanet.com/2021/01/how-to-enable-90hz-for-all-games-on-the-oculus-quest-2/:

Quest games with 90Hz support

In November, Facebook updated the Oculus Quest 2 to automatically switch the display to 90Hz mode when a game supports it. That means players won’t have to modify their Quest 2 in order to play their Oculus Quest games at 90Hz. The caveat is that developers need to update their games in order to support 90Hz on the Quest 2, otherwise they’ll run at 72Hz as the original Oculus Quest did.

I'm wondering if AH has been updated to permit 90Hz with the Quest 2.  Patch 3.05 came out in January 2021, and the developer notes don't mention this change...

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
Re: Does Aces High 3 support 90Hz refresh rate on Oculus Quest 2?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 04:08:40 AM »
When did you notice the change? ULdieter, ULBlizz and myself, are seeing some new issues with VR, since Windows' recent update. We dont use the"Quest", but we do use RiftS. Just wondering! :aok
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 08:04:33 AM »
I'm not sure I ever get above 72fps, even after the November update to the Quest which allowed 90 Hz.   It just behaves as if its locked to 72Hz, as if Vsync is enabled on a monitor.

IL-2 is the only other game I've tried with the Quest, but I'm lucky to get 45 fps there (although that does seem to indicate IL-2 is recognizing 90Hz mode - my understanding is, if your hardware can't reach the target threshold, it cuts it back by 50%).

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 02:40:20 AM »
I'm not sure I ever get above 72fps, even after the November update to the Quest which allowed 90 Hz.   It just behaves as if its locked to 72Hz, as if Vsync is enabled on a monitor.

IL-2 is the only other game I've tried with the Quest, but I'm lucky to get 45 fps there (although that does seem to indicate IL-2 is recognizing 90Hz mode - my understanding is, if your hardware can't reach the target threshold, it cuts it back by 50%).
Does this diminish your "satisfaction with VR"? As I understand it...FRs are pretty much useless, at above 60? I run solid 71-83 fps, on an Invidia 2080. Seen some weird things, since Nvidia Driver update I did last month. Also had a Update to windows around same time..so.........
       Was glad to see you, the other Evening! It had been a while since I saw you on...got to fight you!  You were one of the FIRST, that I got frustrated with! Rud3boi/2CMEX/Hombre and scores of others...DEFINITELY have stepped up, though  :rofl
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2021, 08:58:18 AM »
Does this diminish your "satisfaction with VR"? As I understand it...FRs are pretty much useless, at above 60? I run solid 71-83 fps, on an Invidia 2080. Seen some weird things, since Nvidia Driver update I did last month. Also had a Update to windows around same time..so.........
       Was glad to see you, the other Evening! It had been a while since I saw you on...got to fight you!  You were one of the FIRST, that I got frustrated with! Rud3boi/2CMEX/Hombre and scores of others...DEFINITELY have stepped up, though  :rofl

You too!   I get on as often as I can, usually late afternoon/early evening MDT.    There are usually 100 or so players on at that time so the action is pretty good.  Enabling auto country switching has really added to the variety of who I get to fight with or against now.  <S> on the great fights!

VR has really changed the game for me.  I find it easier to process where I am in 3D space in relation to others.  As I player I think I always struggled somewhat with Hat SW views and later TrackIR to mentally process what I was seeing on my 2D screen and really understand and keep track of where that put me in the game's 3D space.  With VR, I am already "inside" that 3D space, so there is no extra mental translation that needs to happen.   It's amazing. 

I have heard that maintaining a high fps in VR helps overcome any tendency to motion sickness.  Personally I have experienced minor, slightly woozy feelings after fast and furious acrobatic air combats with multiply bogeys while flying a Ki.43 or Zeke.  I never noticed this feeling with my old Reverb, which ran at 90 Hz.   So I'm curious if getting to 90 on the Quest 2 would have any effect on this. 

One feature of the Quest 2 that I think is really great is the ability to use 'pass though' view.   Just by double-tapping the case of the headset, the view switches to show what the tracking cameras are seeing.  Although only a B&W image, its good enough to get a useful glimpse of the keys if I have a quick need to use the keyboard (or to see what the dog is up to if I feel her wet nose pressing against my knee!)

<S>!

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2021, 02:40:35 AM »
You too!   I get on as often as I can, usually late afternoon/early evening MDT.    There are usually 100 or so players on at that time so the action is pretty good.  Enabling auto country switching has really added to the variety of who I get to fight with or against now.  <S> on the great fights!

VR has really changed the game for me.  I find it easier to process where I am in 3D space in relation to others.  As I player I think I always struggled somewhat with Hat SW views and later TrackIR to mentally process what I was seeing on my 2D screen and really understand and keep track of where that put me in the game's 3D space.  With VR, I am already "inside" that 3D space, so there is no extra mental translation that needs to happen.   It's amazing. 

I have heard that maintaining a high fps in VR helps overcome any tendency to motion sickness.  Personally I have experienced minor, slightly woozy feelings after fast and furious acrobatic air combats with multiply bogeys while flying a Ki.43 or Zeke.  I never noticed this feeling with my old Reverb, which ran at 90 Hz.   So I'm curious if getting to 90 on the Quest 2 would have any effect on this. 

One feature of the Quest 2 that I think is really great is the ability to use 'pass though' view.   Just by double-tapping the case of the headset, the view switches to show what the tracking cameras are seeing.  Although only a B&W image, its good enough to get a useful glimpse of the keys if I have a quick need to use the keyboard (or to see what the dog is up to if I feel her wet nose pressing against my knee!)

<S>!
"Dog's nose pressing against your knee"?????Mine goes straight to the "crack of my Donkey"! I really should invest in those Duluth Trading always tucked T shirts🤣😂🤣🤣 With VR...NO GOING BACK NOW!!!! Closest I will ever get, to the Real Thing!!!!  :rock
Love ya Brother,
BW1stpar/ULcapkid
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 02:48:42 AM by 1stpar3 »