Author Topic: Stupid question time  (Read 1042 times)

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
Stupid question time
« on: March 28, 2021, 12:06:38 PM »
What is DCS? I've been away from the game for several years and just ordered a new machine so I can fly again. I've seen a couple of post referencing DCS and a machines ability to run it. Can anyone help this ignorant old pilot? Thx in advance :cheers:

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Re: Stupid question time
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 12:36:08 PM »
Digital Combat Simulator

Which I know nothing about...

Offline LNG15

• Copper Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 12:36:43 PM »
DCS:

Digtal Combat Simulator.
It's pretty much the one of the best flight Sims money can buy alongside IL2. Modern fighters and does have some World War 2 fighters as well.
Be Prepared To "Get Lanced!"

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 01:03:42 PM »
Thanks guy, I sure appreciate it. :salute

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 02:25:03 PM »
Degree of difficulty insofar as workflow while flying would go like AH<IL2<DCS. With AH having mostly automatic settings for a lot of stuff. IL2 adds more engine management while DCS is hyper-detailed for a multitude of systems for every plane. Then there's MSFS that I haven't even messed with but that's another intensive sim. Same rules apply for graphics intensity working your way from AH thru to MSFS. You'll definitely need more computing horsepower as you go up the ladder there. Add VR, even more.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2021, 04:35:07 PM »
DCS is the upper most level of immersion. I play it mainly for the Uh-1 Huey as it is the best $50 you'll ever spend.
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2021, 11:26:03 PM »
Be warned once you've looked at the cockpit of the P47 you will be really hard pressed to ever get back into your AH one. 

Multiplayer is a bit sparse for WW2 (especially US timezone) but most of the cool kids hang out on the Storm of War server. 

In answer to your question this video probably sums it up best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzSHJBVzZlg  crank it up to 1440p HD
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2021, 03:02:46 PM »
Welcome back aztec!

Very pretty game and missions with icons on are fun

Spotting anything multiplayer where icons are off is impossible for me and many others by the comments I have seen

Engine management is to the degree it's work and not enjoyable but that is IMHO

Its free to try as its a pay as you go as you purchase each plane and map and things

It where to go when AH is down...lucky that is near never

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2021, 04:29:07 PM »
I must be blessed with the eyes of an eagle, as I can see most contacts from long ranges.  34inch screen @144hz 1080p most graphics set to high with a trackir.

Can get tough if they are directly above or below in the terrain but by no means impossible.   

Going forward it must be difficult for the devs to accomodate both VR users, old school flat screeners and a myriad of different hardware specs.   I feel having icons on would spoil the MP combat but your right anyone with bad eyes = dead and the mission makers could do more experimentation with how they appear.  A large update to 2.7 is due soon so hopefully alot of bug fixes.   Striking the right balance between gameplay and historical realism is very important to retain any sort of playerbase.

Engine management is pretty straightforwad once you know the basics of each warbird.   

The men who stare at pixels.   #cleanyourscreen  before every session.   

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2021, 06:57:13 AM »
Thx everyone, great to see so many oldtimers  :cheers: My new system has an Intel Core i7 10th Gen 10700F (2.90 GHz), 2 TB HDD 240 GB SSD and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB GDDR5. Will that be enough horsepower for DCS?

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2021, 09:10:16 AM »
You should be able to set the graphics so dcs can work on your system

Bruv how do you even locate fights as nothing shows on the map?

I have a 34in 1080 2k monitor I tried with dsc as vr is not setup there to my liking- AH does it so much better IMO

Very pretty but I can't see nothing and if I  do and then take my eyes off the target for a second I lose it

It would be great if one multiplayer online server would enable icons..I think it would be packed with us mr.magoo types

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2021, 01:50:01 PM »
Thx everyone, great to see so many oldtimers  :cheers: My new system has an Intel Core i7 10th Gen 10700F (2.90 GHz), 2 TB HDD 240 GB SSD and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB GDDR5. Will that be enough horsepower for DCS?

GFX card should be ok, though it is on the lower end, you don't mention system ram 8gb is sketchy, 16gb ok, 32gb preferable.  You can D/L the base game for free and try out the Civilian T51,  map the controls and try the gfx settings etc.   Most MP servers run the open beta version so get that rather than stable.

If you decide to get some modules, they have sales every 3 months for half price.   The single player campaigns are very cool. 

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2021, 02:01:08 PM »
You should be able to set the graphics so dcs can work on your system

Bruv how do you even locate fights as nothing shows on the map?

I have a 34in 1080 2k monitor I tried with dsc as vr is not setup there to my liking- AH does it so much better IMO

Very pretty but I can't see nothing and if I  do and then take my eyes off the target for a second I lose it

It would be great if one multiplayer online server would enable icons..I think it would be packed with us mr.magoo types

Eagler

Referring to SoW,  Each 5hr 45min mission has 3 ground objectives per side so if you know where they are that helps.  The radar report scrolls through the nearest 2 contacts to your plane every few minutes.  So that points you in the right direction without giving it away.  If there is some activity it is usually near shipping, the ground objectives or the AI bomber streams.  Caen, Carpiquet, Carentan, St. Lo are all "hotspot" areas.  Once you know the map and the objectives you can run into trouble often.   :aok

SoW has about 25 different missions and they scroll through from shortly after D-day to end of July, so the Bridgehead moves further inland depending on what day it is.

Need more Axis pilots for sure though. 
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2021, 01:57:29 PM »
[ [you don't mention system ram]  16 MB Bruv...thanks for the info  :cheers: :salute