Author Topic: An Apology and a Debate  (Read 4229 times)

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
An Apology and a Debate
« on: April 01, 2021, 09:04:04 AM »
First, I would like to offer my official apologies to "Skillet" as my comments about the upcoming topic apparently caused him to log out for the night.  So, here's the scenario and topic of discussion:

Last night, I log into AH at approximately 8:00pm CST.  I have been flying for the Knights as they have more consistently had the low numbers every time I log on.  After surveying the map, there seemed to be a constant fight (furball if you will) between A45 and A22 (Rooks).  So, I up in my cartoon airplane looking to enjoy a quick fight as I would not have long to fly for the evening.  No sooner than I get over the base, a friendly Knight bomber drops the Fighter Hangars, thus killing the one and only fight.  When I asked in country chat why we're killing the hangars at the only fight on the map, Skillet replies that he "has been here for nearly 20 years" and that I need to "go home and drink a Monster."  It was then he informed me that "we take bases."

The problem with this scenario is no one ever tried to capture A22.  They just dropped the hangars and killed the fight.  When I asked Skillet where he was in leading the charge to capture A22, he got frustrated and logged.  After the FH went down at 22, all the friendlies RTB'ed and the Rooks upped from another base, coming in from the edge of the stratosphere.  A squad mate and I defended A45 from the oncoming horde, then the fight completely died, so I logged early.

I understand that the "name of the game" is base captures and "WiN ZeE WaR."  But with the current numbers, the amount of good, big fights are null compared to the "good ole days."  I am all for taking bases, but when I only have a limited time to fly, I usually want to jump right into the action.

I guess my reason for posting is not only to offer an apology to Skillet if my comments ruffled his feathers enough to cause him to log, but also to see if I am alone in this mindset?  Am I just a crybaby that feels the need to rant?  I don't like bashing other players game styles as that's the great thing about this game.  There are so many options.  I have thoroughly enjoyed my return to this great game, and this has been the first "bad" experience since coming back.

What are your thoughts?  Are you a furballer, a base taker, or both?

<S>
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: An Apology and a Debate
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 09:27:58 AM »
I can do both,  but I prefer to furball...

That said, if I'm going to log in to get my dogfighting fix, I'll find it somewhere even if it requires daring, smack talk, or whatever works,  rofl 🤣

I don't see anything wrong with what you posted in the event above

Hope this helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 09:31:32 AM »
I don't care either way, I'm not paying the other guys $15 so he can do what ever he wants.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 09:55:55 AM »
The game started as an A2A combat sim

It was then expanded to include everything it has now

I like the a2a and think the game should revolve around that but many most? think it is a gv, base capturing game now

Sometimes the two cannot exist together depending on map and numbers IMO

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2021, 09:56:25 AM »
I don't care either way, I'm not paying the other guys $15 so he can do what ever he wants.

Wise words!

:salute

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2021, 10:15:33 AM »

Precisely, which is what set me off because he was suggesting that I need to do what he wanted.
-=Most Wanted=-

||||||||

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2021, 10:18:31 AM »
I fly Knight.  I generally furball, which usually takes the form of defending if the enemy is trying to take a base.  If we're making a genuine attempt to take a base, if it's not a steamroll and there appears to be enemy resistance, I will help.  I fly to control airspace, and I generally go where I think it will be most useful.  My favorite thing is to stuff an enemy base take attempt, then support a friendly base take with resistance, then furball.  If there's absolutely nothing else going on and we are rolling bases unopposed, I will help there but that's not much fun.

What gets my back up, and it was what I saw out of Skillet last night, is self-appointed generals that don't get the support they demand whining and browbeating on country channel.  Same with guys that get in over their heads and whine about not getting a six call.  Appreciate support when you get it, but every other player here has their own stuff going on and it's not their responsibility to be at your beck and call.

The majority of people that play Knights just don't move mud all that often.  If he's been here for 20 years, he's not tremendously observant as I've only been here for around 14, and I noticed it about 13 and a half years ago.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2021, 10:42:39 AM »
No sooner than I get over the base, a friendly Knight bomber drops the Fighter Hangars, thus killing the one and only fight. 

<S>

Hey Banshee
S!

I've highlighted this sentence in your description as it is the only part I find objection to. If you were over their base it was not a fight. Not one that was looking very fair at the least.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2021, 11:24:55 AM »
Hey Banshee
S!

I've highlighted this sentence in your description as it is the only part I find objection to. If you were over their base it was not a fight. Not one that was looking very fair at the least.

I should have worded it differently. By the time I made it to the fight, which was right over the water. The two bases were less than a sector apart.
-=Most Wanted=-

||||||||

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2021, 11:46:26 AM »

This sums it all up for me. While I am one of those "Win ZeE War" :D guys, & I will take what ever actions are necessary to do so, I do understand the desires of others being different. If a base take fight turns into just a furball, I will usually move on. If its a defensive situation for me, taking out the enemies means to attack is a viable option.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2021, 11:50:22 AM »
I should have worded it differently. By the time I made it to the fight, which was right over the water. The two bases were less than a sector apart.

That's the frustrating part about the way this game works.  There's little worse than heading toward a fight and watching the red bardar dwindle as you get closer, and finding 5 friendlies and 1 or 2 enemy still engaged when you get there.  Then you get people griping about how it has turned into a vulch because the side that is prevailing has pushed them back over their ack.

Couple that with watching groups of enemy run away from you to their base ack/CV if you come in co-alt or higher it can make for a rough night of gameplay.

It's the price we pay for the freedom to do what we want as opposed to being led by the nose everywhere.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2021, 12:34:29 PM »
Killing fighter hangers often will just thin targets for a bit, but if you see they are not trying to take the base, it will mean the red guys will start upping from a nearby base.

Very rare given during prime time that shutting down hangers will "kill fights" as much as vulched/camped fields would.

In that situation you were in last night, I would of gained some alt and head over to the nearest enemy field to try to bounce cons.
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2021, 12:49:45 PM »
In that situation you were in last night, I would of gained some alt and head over to the nearest enemy field to try to bounce cons.

I considered that, but the dar never really grew THAT much from the next base over.  I launched with limited fuel looking for a quick fight.

When the hangars were downed, the few remaining guys were taken out, then...nothing.  I had flown by several enemies but did not engage as they were already fighting someone. 

Oh well.  I was happy to log a sortie or two last night.  I haven't played near as much as I'd like to.
-=Most Wanted=-

||||||||

Offline svaalbar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2021, 01:35:05 PM »
Like 20min after 22 FH (Rook field) were shut down, I went and shut down 45 (knight field) hangers in retaliation  :devil
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 01:51:24 PM by svaalbar »
"All fighter pilots were a little crazy, but mostly the nicest guys you'd ever meet." The Biography of a Rabbit, by Roy Benson Jr - https://gutenberg.org/files/7190/7190-h/7190-h.htm

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaKxx5UhMZ0REI8E2FGfGag

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2021, 01:55:41 PM »

Well then in this case, I find the actions of this jabo fella disgraceful and worthy of shame!  :D
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.