Author Topic: enhancing my computer  (Read 2324 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: enhancing my computer
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2021, 02:46:14 PM »
Oh yeah the i7-2600K machine from 2010 would run AH on a 1080p monitor just fine. Never had one at a higher res until now so can't speak to that.

i have a 2500k using 1440 monitor. with a 970 vc. have no issues full frames.  did disabled  reflection, and shadows. dove too many times on shadows from other planes.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2021, 11:15:46 PM »
Oh yeah the i7-2600K machine from 2010 would run AH on a 1080p monitor just fine. Never had one at a higher res until now so can't speak to that.

Heya Drano, yeah those "Intel i7-2600K machines", that you and I built together at the same time back then, even with those AMD/ATI HD6950 2GB VRam video cards could push out 133 to 139 fps without no overclocking on any of the system ( CPU, Sys RAM, VC card, etc ) ( had a chance to hook up a 144hz monitor to mine bout 7 or 8 months after we built them )... least my XFX brand card would... so am dang near certain that your MSI branded card would.... that was a fun build we did, researching our parts and planning it out, then building and loading OS, etc... LOL, my opinion, they were some excellent solid builds...

TC

edit: disclaimer:  I am almost certain I tested that at factory settings..(losing ya memory & CRS can be a real pain in the buttocks, heh)...but during that time I was testing that i7 build against the AMD Q975 quad-core 3.6 GHz CPU build I had just built roughly 5 months before Drano decided he wanted to build him a new i7 gaming rig, so I said heck, I'll join ya and built me one too......

I was testing to see how far i could overclock each build the Intel and the AMD on Air cooled.... the Intel i7 would never go past 4.8 GHz stable...even a tic higher and it would become unstable..as for the AMD Q975 Black Edition, I was able to get it to 5.2 GHz and run stable for over 48 hours none stop and still kept the CPU temp under 61 degrees Celsius
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 11:27:56 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2021, 11:55:46 PM »
Yeah that was the build. I just never had other than a 1080p monitor until my latest one. That PC never saw it so I couldn't speak to the performance. I got to 4.6 on that one btw.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline bortas1

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2021, 09:30:09 PM »
18 gigs of ram? is that unusual?

your puter is slight above mine and i have no problems.

semp
 :salute sorry meant 16 g

Offline bortas1

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2021, 09:35:15 PM »
Are you having issues with the game that makes you think you need an upgrade? Maybe you should explain why your thinking that other than just needing blow some cash that is  :)
:salute yes there are times i can hear the plane but cant see it till its too close. also i cant see tanks far off. they can see and shot me but i cant see them at all
. so i have no idea what that means

Offline bortas1

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2021, 09:47:32 PM »
 :salute
There's nothing you could inexpensively do. Upgrading the processor to an i7-7700k would cost a couple of hundreds used but the improvement in performance would only be about 10%. Upgrading the video card to a GTX 1080 or better would improve your frame rates if you use a 144 Hz 1440p monitor or higher but the cost would be several hundreds for second hand cards.

If you have an HDD as your system drive, upgrading it to an SDD will improve boot time and make programs start faster. It won't improve frame rates but it definitely makes the computer feel more responsive. If you already have a SATA SSD installed, swapping it to an M2 type won't show any visible improvement outside benchmarks.

What you can do is to clean your system. Uninstall any programs and Store Apps you never use, get rid of temporary files and disable unnecessary background processes such as auto-updates and auto-starts of less important programs. That's what I'd start with. Creating a new user profile might also help with the cost of having to transfer all your files from the old to the new one, including game settings and browser saved passwords. That would still keep all your programs installed, though. A clean reinstall is the ultimate way to clean your system. That would also mean you'd have to do the maintenance chores to tame Windows and reinstall all your programs even if you chose the refresh option that saves your files and Store Apps.
honestly i dont know what apps i need or dont need. what i understand in cleaning out or maintenance on my computer  i do. i have been watching some youtube vides on this subject. when you say reinstall programs what are you talking about im not sure. sorry alot of this stuff i have never did this  brfore so ....

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2021, 11:23:18 PM »
:salute yes there are times i can hear the plane but cant see it till its too close. also i cant see tanks far off. they can see and shot me but i cant see them at all
. so i have no idea what that means

Well seeing far off tanks is an issue many of us have, we really dont know what to look for is what Im told  :rolleyes: If you dont see a plane but hear him is is more than likely under your tail.

Your rig isnt that bad, what in game settings are you using?

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2021, 01:45:55 AM »
:salutehonestly i dont know what apps i need or dont need. what i understand in cleaning out or maintenance on my computer  i do. i have been watching some youtube vides on this subject. when you say reinstall programs what are you talking about im not sure. sorry alot of this stuff i have never did this  brfore so ....
Alright, let's start with finding the unnecessary apps and programs. Simply go to Programs and Features and scroll through the list. By default Windows installs apps like News, Candy Crush Soda Saga etc. which are pretty easy to recognize. Simply click them and then click the Uninstall button. A bar starts to run, indicating the process. For some apps the Uninstall button is greyed out, just leave those. Similarly, there may be programs from either the manufacturer, if you have a <brand> computer, or from the motherboard manufacturer, or from the printer installing media. You definitely don't need programs like "<brand> Extended Customer Survey"! The basic drivers are necessary, the rest mostly have a working Windows equivalent. And finally, if you find a program you've installed yourself but haven't used since then, uninstall it as well. I just noticed QuickTime on my system and as I had no idea why I would need that I uninstalled it. Should I ever need it again, the latest version is downloadable online anyway!

After having gone through Programs and Features, take a look at the Start Menu. You may find more apps both as the right hand big boxes and in the alphabetic list which you can uninstall by right-clicking them. Not all of them make their way to the P&F list! Some big boxes may not have the uninstall option. Often, if you click them you'll be taken to the Store which means they're suggested apps. Use the "Remove from Start" option on those. Opting out "show suggestions occasionally on Start" in Settings>Personalization>Start may help keeping them from reappearing.

By reinstalling programs I was talking about wiping your hard drive totally clean, reinstalling Windows and after that reinstalling the programs you need (like AH).
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni