Looks great Biggamer.  :x
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: New PC
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 10:25:53 PM »
Yeah looks very similar to my AMD build also less the GPU. Hope you can snag one soon.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Kenne

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 05:43:59 PM »
how do you unlock the I7?
Women are like the Government. They have no problem that can't be solved by throwing money at it!
لقد حصلت على تذكرتين إلى الجنة

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 05:50:06 PM »
how do you unlock the I7?

Wouldn't that be dependent on which model of i7 CPU you have? whether it was capable of being unlocked (this also applies to the MB)
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 08:57:05 PM »
Yeah the Intel cpu's with an unlocked multiplier have a model number that ends with a K. Can't imagine buying one without a mobo to take advantage of it.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 01:06:59 AM »
Yeah the Intel cpu's with an unlocked multiplier have a model number that ends with a K. Can't imagine buying one without a mobo to take advantage of it.
I can, if the K model has a much higher clock rate. For example the i7-10700 has a base frequency of 2.9 GHz while the 10700K runs at 3.8 GHz. The Peak Turbo frequencies are a bit closer to each other, 4.8 vs. 5.1 and the All-Core Turbo even closer at 4.6 and 4.7 GHz. The big question is, how long can you actually run at turbo speed as it depends on multiple variables. For what I've understood we're talking about minutes there, not hours. Thus the base clock is what I look at as I consider it to be a "guaranteed" level in normal temperature.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 08:07:48 AM »
I'd actually go with Z590 and Rocket Lake 11700K/KF if that's not much more expensive
please verify you won't get into RAM clearance problems with the CPU cooler
RAM timings are mediocre at best but price is high

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 10:51:14 AM »
I can, if the K model has a much higher clock rate. For example the i7-10700 has a base frequency of 2.9 GHz while the 10700K runs at 3.8 GHz. The Peak Turbo frequencies are a bit closer to each other, 4.8 vs. 5.1 and the All-Core Turbo even closer at 4.6 and 4.7 GHz. The big question is, how long can you actually run at turbo speed as it depends on multiple variables. For what I've understood we're talking about minutes there, not hours. Thus the base clock is what I look at as I consider it to be a "guaranteed" level in normal temperature.
All true but the unlocked models are also more expensive. About $60 more at last check. I hadn't looked into the clock speeds of the newer Intel cpu's and didn't know they'd be different between locked and unlocked models. Kinda makes you wonder why that is? You'd think they'd list it with a different number. Funny I just watched a vid where derbauer was wondering the same thing about the new 11900k. Actual performance was much lower than older models.

When I built the 2600k machine the only diff  between the models was that the multiplier was unlocked on the K and was, of course, more expensive. Even so, with the new ones being unlocked gives you more ability to push it even more if you like.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Kenne

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 08:07:53 PM »
Wouldn't that be dependent on which model of i7 CPU you have? whether it was capable of being unlocked (this also applies to the MB)

well BG is buying the I7 10700k CPU.
Women are like the Government. They have no problem that can't be solved by throwing money at it!
لقد حصلت على تذكرتين إلى الجنة

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2021, 06:12:06 AM »
well BG is buying the I7 10700k CPU.

Good morning Kenne,

I  was unaware that you were referring to BigGamer's new PC build... your post/ question only asked what appeared to be a simple question regarding quote "how do you unlock the i7?"

To keep this reply short, I am not going to get into how to go about unlocking/ overclocking CPU s.....

Our review of the Core i7-10700 revealed that despite being a locked part, a significant amount of performance can be squeezed out of the Core i7-10700 by simply tinkering with the power limits and base clock in your motherboard BIOS. You don't even need the most expensive boards to do this, or liquid cooling setups. The Core i7-10700 was a pleasant surprise and only increased our appetite for the Core i7-10700K, which comes with an unlocked multiplier that makes overclocking a breeze; it also has higher power limits.

From the review article: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i7-10700k/

Here is another interesting article that might be helpful:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/16343/intel-core-i710700-vs-core-i710700k-review-is-65w-comet-lake-an-option

Hope this helps

:salute

TC

« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 06:39:21 AM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2021, 12:30:12 PM »
I built mine a few months back using the i9-10900k and Gigabyte Z490 Ultra AORUS. I just used my MSI RTX 2080 Super from my old rig. No 3000 series was or is available. Runs great though. Runs M$FM 2020 maxed out.

I was lucky to be able to save it when we had a pipe burst during the Texas freeze.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 12:32:03 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline LNG15

• Copper Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2021, 07:56:13 AM »
Very soon probably around my vacation time in June I am going to have a PC built via Micro Center. Going to spend about $1,500 max and for FPS about 100-150 tops. I have about $410 saved atm in hard currency. In May I should have close to $1,200 and then by June I should have more than enough for it.
Be Prepared To "Get Lanced!"

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2021, 12:49:38 PM »
Hey OP, do you use PCPartPicker? 

It's a useful free tool which, among other things, gives you a single page list of all your parts:  https://pcpartpicker.com/

Here's an example:  https://pcpartpicker.com/list/B7WpsX 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 12:53:37 PM by TDeacon »

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2021, 06:47:20 AM »
some strange choices in this list with the 4x8 ram and very small + very slow SSD