Author Topic: 4 maps that need to go  (Read 7931 times)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
4 maps that need to go
« on: April 18, 2021, 11:55:35 AM »
4 maps that need to go. Every weekend I get stuck on one of these maps because they stay up forever and/or create low action, especially during the off hours. I always find low #s with these maps. I have been having trouble finding good balanced fights, flying far distances and having to get 20K to be in the fight. I believe without these maps, the #s would be better off. It would be great to substitute these maps for new ones. I feel like it's just the same ole same ole every time I log in to play.

The maps are:
BowlMA - Too dang big for the MA, maybe during peak time with 160+ it can be fun, but late and night and early morning are just boring with 70 players... Especially if the map just pops up and you have to fly across the straights for the fight. It feels like it takes all afternoon for one sortie. There is no way to fight both the other teams if your side doesn't have a fight. Too many bases and too much going on. Most of the time there are tiny little dars scattered all over the place. The map generally takes 3-4 days to win, it can stay up all weekend and can really be boring.

Buzzsaw - there is just no direction, its a giant fight in the middle, all 20k fights in BnZ planes. There are hardly ever any fights on the outside of the map, the #s are always low for this map. There is never any strategy, long flights to bases on the outside of the map. The middle makes little sense and many people dislike it. There are no CV fights and the CVs are practically pointless, IMO, the whole base layout needs to be redone. It's too discombobulated and the bases on the outside are too far.

CraterMA - It's just way too big and the bases are too far. The middle makes very little since. It's all geared up for tankers, but no fighter action. You cannot fight both teams if your side doesn't have a fight. during the off hours you find small dars all over the place. It's way too big for the current player base. In the peak hours, there can be some fights, but it is not helping to increase the low #s during the off hours. Right now at 12PM on sunday, there are 40 players on and nothing going on, small dars on the other side of the map, I don't have time to jabo random bases and play in the ack. This map will probably be up until Tuesday. Another map that keeps low #s and can be very boring to play all weekend. This is an old map from AH2 and it is getting very old at this point.

Mindnoa - The map is another really old one that normally creates low #s because it creates fights that are super high altitude. I feel like most players are tired of this map as well. It can be very tough to win due to it's layout. The side that ends up on the south east side normally has smaller fights. Sometimes the bases can seem so far. With bases that are 4K, it creates very high alt BnZ style of play, which is boring for most players. I feel like most of the action is condensed on the west side and north on the map, but only 2 teams can play in that. The bases seem too far for the size of the map, it can stay up for 3 days aswell because it's a tough map to win.

Most other maps get rolled in about a day or maybe 2 which means we get stuck with these 4 maps more often that stay up forever. This creates kind of a boring atmosphere to always have to play the same maps over and over, every single weekend it seems like I get stuck playing on these same maps. And when I finally get a chance to play for an hour, I cannot find fights because there are tiny dars scattered all over the place, or no one is even fighting my side of the map. I cannot switch cause Im using the "low #s auto switch". Many times, I dont have anywhere to fight, so i'll just go play another game. Many times I'll sit watching the map for a few hours to see if it's worth it for me to roll.

Aces High is just not seeing the best fights with these maps and its creating boring action for most fighter guys like myself. By removing these maps, it will allow the other smaller maps to shine more and I believe the #s and the fights would increase overall in the game. Especially if we can replace them with new maps. I truly believe that a lot of people like myself are tired of these same ole maps over and over again because some of the others get rolled very quickly in the off hours that I never get to play.

Thanks for consideration!

« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 11:59:33 AM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: 4 maps that need to go
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 12:16:38 PM »
CraterMA and BowlMA are fine.

Buzzsaw and Mindanao are total trash, though.

Pizza Map is pretty bad too. I would not miss it if it were to somehow vanish.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 02:10:43 PM »
Have either of you thought about designing and creating what each of y'all think would be a good all around map that the entire AH community would enjoy playing on including:

Win the war/ map players
Dedicated Bomber flyers
Dedicated Fighter plane flyers
Dedicated Ground Vehicle participants
Base capturing Squadrons / Groups
Dedicated Naval CV & BB warfare participants etc, etc....

I, myself, started out years ago with starting out designing the Training Arena Terrain and one of the older KOTH Terrains... which Hammer helped on the TA Terrain and Dux took the design and ideas we wanted and built the Training Arena Terrain for the AH community and AH Training Corps..

I can not recall who I turned over the 2 KOTH Terrain designs to, so that they could create the Terrains... iirc we are either on our 4th or 5th KOTH Terrain design now...which in my opinion is the best one to date! yet I cannot even remember who designed/ created this current one...

Just wondering.... I have always looked at it like this:  if you don't like what the game currently is offering,  whether it be a certain terrain/map, a special event or certain aspects of the way that event is being run or maybe have some other ideas of what might help the AH community ... whether it be Training Clinics,  making Training Films or videos... maybe creating a new special event etc....then I personally would do my best to get accomplished whatever the idea/ actions/activities,  etc....were

~SALUTE~

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 02:50:33 PM »
I think you can expect to see things to remain as they are for the unforeseeable feature after all... they still have a beta forum on the bulletin boards last posted on in 2016. :devil

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 02:51:41 PM »
Buzzsaw and Mindanao are total trash, though.

This has been stated, literally thousands of times...at least so far as Buzzsaw is concerned.

I wouldn't hold your breath.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 03:20:28 PM »
+1

The best maps get rolled too quickly.  Noticed sometimes in less than 6 hours...

Not sure the solution to keep the good maps up longer though. 

They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 04:57:59 PM »
+1

The best maps get rolled too quickly.  Noticed sometimes in less than 6 hours...

Not sure the solution to keep the good maps up longer though.

To me, it's not about how quickly they get rolled, its about bigger maps staying up for too long. So you constantly run into them on the weekends relative to others. If CraterMA and BowlMA were gone, you'd see many other maps during the weekend. 1-2 maps a day would be a better solution, which is how long most other maps last anyway. When one of these big ones stays up for 3 days plus, it becomes stale and I generally find it the hardest to find action when not prime time.

We need to incentivize fighters to come back to the game. These kind of high alt, BnZ style maps really aren't benefiting what I believe the majority of players are really looking for.

My biggest issue is that these maps do not provide enough action to keep players interested in the off hours. When I see a bunch of tiny dars, or only 1 or 2 tiny dars, it's not worth it for me to roll and spend 25 minutes to maybe find one 15k 190 or who the heck knows whats in that sector.

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 05:18:17 PM »
Greebo’s Crater map was a GV’r favorite until the update with all the trees and extra vegetation now in Tank Town.

Crater MA Tank Town is totally deserted unfortunately.

They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2021, 06:39:06 PM »
I think is gameplay going downhill that is hurting things more than the size of the maps.

We have always had issues with pickers, or players who want to win the war but dont want to fight for it so they NOE and run as soon as a defender show's up, as well as players who want nothing more than kills and will do anything for them, HO ram, vulch, or spawn camp instead of fight.

This is all made worst by low numbers, the lower the numbers the worst it is.

I hate buzzsaw. I think its one of the worst maps out there due to the "action" being stuck in the middle where everyone is going after easy kills in GV vs the depots, with other looking for the easy kills on the GVs, with others looking for the easy kills on the bomber going after the GVs, with others picking those going after the bombers. Totally pointless waste that doesnt promote anything but bad game play.

However even on that map last night a few of us got a night battle going for a couple of ports the Knights had and the Bish wanted. It was shaping up into a long fight due to a certain group that enjoys doing nothing but picking on the Knit side. after padding their scores for a bit our squad left the area and spent a couple hours with a fight for a couple of other port against the Rooks which was fun had by all. A few ruin the fun for the many by poor gameplay.

Getting the numbers up in the game would do away with running into poor gamers. Another option is Hitech could try changing some of the setting in certain maps to curb some of that poor game play. Even if changes arent aimed at curbing poor gameplay but just change features, like harden FHs, but make them stay down longer once you do get them down. Things just for a change to "spice" things up for those getting close to leaving due to burnout/boredom.

Adding maps is all fine and good but they take a lot of time to build, and there are just so many ways to layout a relatively even starting point in a map. Im ok with getting rid of the bigger maps, like they have done before, but I dont really see it happening. It looks like Hitech is sticking with the status quo so as to not mess anything up and chace players away without having a good influx of new players. What we see is, I think, what we got for any forseeable future.

Offline Peanut1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2021, 10:50:02 PM »
I agree that the maps are the single largest issue in this game...but I don't see any changes happening other than the game no longer existing within the next 5 years.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2021, 12:01:39 AM »
I think is gameplay going downhill that is hurting things more than the size of the maps.

We have always had issues with pickers, or players who want to win the war but dont want to fight for it so they NOE and run as soon as a defender show's up, as well as players who want nothing more than kills and will do anything for them, HO ram, vulch, or spawn camp instead of fight.

This is all made worst by low numbers, the lower the numbers the worst it is.

I hate buzzsaw. I think its one of the worst maps out there due to the "action" being stuck in the middle where everyone is going after easy kills in GV vs the depots, with other looking for the easy kills on the GVs, with others looking for the easy kills on the bomber going after the GVs, with others picking those going after the bombers. Totally pointless waste that doesnt promote anything but bad game play.

However even on that map last night a few of us got a night battle going for a couple of ports the Knights had and the Bish wanted. It was shaping up into a long fight due to a certain group that enjoys doing nothing but picking on the Knit side. after padding their scores for a bit our squad left the area and spent a couple hours with a fight for a couple of other port against the Rooks which was fun had by all. A few ruin the fun for the many by poor gameplay.

Getting the numbers up in the game would do away with running into poor gamers. Another option is Hitech could try changing some of the setting in certain maps to curb some of that poor game play. Even if changes arent aimed at curbing poor gameplay but just change features, like harden FHs, but make them stay down longer once you do get them down. Things just for a change to "spice" things up for those getting close to leaving due to burnout/boredom.

Adding maps is all fine and good but they take a lot of time to build, and there are just so many ways to layout a relatively even starting point in a map. Im ok with getting rid of the bigger maps, like they have done before, but I dont really see it happening. It looks like Hitech is sticking with the status quo so as to not mess anything up and chace players away without having a good influx of new players. What we see is, I think, what we got for any forseeable future.

I was there earlier fugitive, had just gotten switched from knights.  I noticed our cv there and I jumped to see if their cv was there.  I was just having fun by myself, sank all the boats twice in a row, then somebody else jumped in the guns, we sank the cv again and said, we should take the port. so we took the port and the cv too.

decided to get the other port, I upped bombers, got the vh, somebody was there deacking so I ditched my drones and got the guns left.  we would have taken it easy but the guy with the troops decided to bring a goon, because he wanted a goon capture for this tour.  he never made it, man guns were up and 2 fighters were there. and he was yelling at everybody so I logged.  watched a movie with my wife came back and saw the port and a couple of other bases taken.  tried to defend but I gave up, just me and another guy were there so they took them back.  almost evverybody else was in the middle of the map.  I logged again and watched some videos.

but overall I had fun, poor game play is a matter of opinion.  I mean the guy who was desperate to get a goon capture was just annoying the rest of us, on the other hand, he's a cool cat.  anyway, tweaking the system to for example stop vulchers and pickers will have consequences that you may not like if you think about it.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2021, 09:02:20 AM »
I have three new maps ready for the MA:  Reefs, Badlands, and Crags.  They can be downloaded for testing and comments with "Choose Terrain" and "Offline Practice".  Don't know if they would attract new subscribers, but they would provide some variety for veterans players.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2021, 09:16:02 AM »
I also have 2 new maps ready to upload, 3Points & TexArk. Both are small maps, 33 and 32 bases per side respectively. 3Points has CV and BB task groups, while TexArk is land based. Both were generated with Artik's "MakeAHMap", 3Points based on the Great Lakes region and TexArk, as you might guess, the N. Texas/Arkansas region.

As Kong stated, they can be downloaded for testing and comments with "Choose Terrain" and "Offline Practice".

There are limits to what new maps will do. The variety of the terrain, that's easy, but there are only so many ways you can configure bases for a given size map.

Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2021, 09:27:59 AM »
Looking forward to seeing new maps!

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2021, 09:33:17 AM »
I have three new maps ready for the MA:  Reefs, Badlands, and Crags.  They can be downloaded for testing and comments with "Choose Terrain" and "Offline Practice".  Don't know if they would attract new subscribers, but they would provide some variety for veterans players.

I also have 2 new maps ready to upload, 3Points & TexArk. Both are small maps, 33 and 32 bases per side respectively. 3Points has CV and BB task groups, while TexArk is land based. Both were generated with Artik's "MakeAHMap", 3Points based on the Great Lakes region and TexArk, as you might guess, the N. Texas/Arkansas region.

As Kong stated, they can be downloaded for testing and comments with "Choose Terrain" and "Offline Practice".

There are limits to what new maps will do. The variety of the terrain, that's easy, but there are only so many ways you can configure bases for a given size map.

Looking forward to playing yalls maps, lots of hard goes into those!