Author Topic: 4 maps that need to go  (Read 8112 times)

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
Re: 4 maps that need to go
« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2021, 08:51:55 PM »
  I was at one base for over an hour the other night and did not know or realize the size or layout of the map as I was focused on the fight. Maybe stop blaming the maps and figure out why there aren't more subs. A super duper perfect map is useless when empty.

Is this a niche game? Not good for the short attention span of today's gamers? Hitech tried to develop AH Pacific for those reasons but we may be soon a small group of Vaudeville actors staring into the mirror wondering where our career has gone.

But If you google WW2 fighter games you see plenty of content, just not this one. I found this game by an ad on the History channel and if you want to sell widgets you need to advertise widgets.
  HTC has said he does not get the return on the cost of advertising. It was a different market back when AH came out and now with so much competition you would really have to have some deep pockets to compete with their advertising. Sad because this game has so much potential and if we had the 2007 numbers with the game we have now, there would be no competition.   
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2021, 09:35:05 PM »
Actually, thinking about it a bit further, during non prime time regardless of map, by what I've seen, there's roughly about 3 planes in the air per side at any given time.  They're generally in 9 different sectors and most of them not interested in finding the other 8.  How small do we need to make the map to condense that into an area where there'll be a fight?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2021, 10:36:31 PM »
Actually, thinking about it a bit further, during non prime time regardless of map, by what I've seen, there's roughly about 3 planes in the air per side at any given time.  They're generally in 9 different sectors and most of them not interested in finding the other 8.  How small do we need to make the map to condense that into an area where there'll be a fight?

Wiley.

oh they find you alright.  we got a few yesterday trying to sneak bases.  they did the same to us.

think they're was like 2 per side.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2021, 11:20:48 PM »
  I was at one base for over an hour the other night and did not know or realize the size or layout of the map as I was focused on the fight. Maybe stop blaming the maps and figure out why there aren't more subs. A super duper perfect map is useless when empty.

Is this a niche game? Not good for the short attention span of today's gamers? Hitech tried to develop AH Pacific for those reasons but we may be soon a small group of Vaudeville actors staring into the mirror wondering where our career has gone.

But If you google WW2 fighter games you see plenty of content, just not this one. I found this game by an ad on the History channel and if you want to sell widgets you need to advertise widgets.
  HTC has said he does not get the return on the cost of advertising. It was a different market back when AH came out and now with so much competition you would really have to have some deep pockets to compete with their advertising. Sad because this game has so much potential and if we had the 2007 numbers with the game we have now, there would be no competition.

There aren't more subs Slade because no new player knows where the hell they are supoose to be and see a gazillion bases with a couple of tiny small dars scattered all over the place. And they are sitting there "what the heck are those"?  :headscratch:

Wiley.

Yall should refer to my post on page 4 detailing what "action" looks like in the afternoon on certain maps, and I gave an example of a somewhat healthy looking map at around 1pm PST.  You can clearly notice a difference.

Certain maps attract more players to the arena earlier and keeps them on later because there is more condensed action. It's a fact, and removing some older maps and replacing them with some of these new ones. Would go a long way to getting more subs. I can guarantee it.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 11:23:38 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2021, 11:46:32 PM »
lol I think you guys have beat this dead horse to a greasy spot. Remember if you miss the game enough, pretty soon you don't miss the game. Stay active and positive. :cheers:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2021, 10:11:53 AM »
lol I think you guys have beat this dead horse to a greasy spot. Remember if you miss the game enough, pretty soon you don't miss the game. Stay active and positive. :cheers:

BowlMA has been up for the entire week. 6 days now. Thats not good. It's a horse that needs to be beat. I log in this morning to 0 action once again. I'm just tired of it...  :mad:
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #96 on: May 01, 2021, 10:46:13 AM »
2nd that

The timeout for a non won map is 7 days so I am told

I think it should be 48, 72 hrs max

Variety is the spice of life

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #97 on: May 01, 2021, 12:49:30 PM »
2nd that

Eagler

I agree ☝️
-=Most Wanted=-

||||||||

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2021, 01:40:36 PM »
2nd that

Eagler

Yeah, so BowlMA gets timed out after 7 days. SMpizza comes on at 4pm yesterday. SMpizza lasts for not even 15 hours. Woke up today and we are back to CraterMA, which will stay up for another 3 days probably. 35 players on at 12PM est... sigh.

So I agree with you Eagler, 48 max is a good time limit. These big maps just aren't producing engaging fights for the majority of the day, and it hurts. I'm sure people would love to fly on some of the newer AH maps, which are better designed for engagement.

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #99 on: May 03, 2021, 12:46:07 AM »
so you want small maps, then complained because a small map gets rolled in hours, so you want more small maps.  yeah let's get maps that get rolled every 2 hours, that should make the game fun.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #100 on: May 03, 2021, 08:29:27 AM »
I just need one plane/ pilot who is willing to turn and fight me when we meet regardless of altitude and plane type.

If that can be accomplished without having to fly 2 to 3 sectors a sortie,  my limited time in AH at that time will be enjoyable regardless of who wins the a2a engagement

If it is a vh killing 51 or 190 that does nothing but jabo and run back to base, ack or buddy horde, my time in AH will stink.

Change maps keeps at least that part of the game fresh

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #101 on: May 03, 2021, 09:01:46 AM »
"You can't please everyone, so you just got to please yourself" so the song goes.  :banana:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2021, 09:10:39 AM »
so you want small maps, then complained because a small map gets rolled in hours, so you want more small maps.  yeah let's get maps that get rolled every 2 hours, that should make the game fun.

semp

Maps that get rolled at 4am by the Jokers are fine. One map a day is fine. It allows the other maps to get some notice. Maps that stay up for days do not attract more players. I actually think it's better if the current players on think they have a chance at winning. There is just an embalance with too many large Maps that are horrible for off hours play. Even during primetime last night. We were at a pretty low count of 115 players. 33 on the bish was the low side. Knights and rooks had 43 each. I was stuck ton bish and could not switch. No one was fighting Bish. We had a few bombers up and a few guys attacking a GV field. That was it. No action for the bish. I logged, not worth my time to play Microsoft flight simulator in a combat game.. the other side of the map looked decent, but I wasn't going to spend all afternoon flying 6 sectors.

Sorry semp, but the majority of the players aren't interested in playing by themselves.

I'm just at a point where flying the same 4 Maps every weekend is getting very old and boring. Which is why i made this thread.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #103 on: May 03, 2021, 09:19:24 AM »
I wonder if the way to fix it might be to institute a minimum time, say 24 hours, where if you roll the map it resets to the same map.  After the 24 hours is up, the next roll changes it?  Couple that with a max time of 3 days or so, would keep the stagnant maps moving and let people see some of the other maps.  Like Violator, I feel like I only ever see the stagnant maps because the morning crew rolls the others in hours.

With some of the maps it will turn into "How many times can we roll this in a day", but is that really a problem?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #104 on: May 03, 2021, 10:22:10 AM »
What happens when a map times out now in the 7 days?

Does the side with the most bases "win" something? Perks?

They should so there are perks to be won if the map switches before one sides captures enough bases to make the map switch automatically

I guess the difference to me is the fight regardless who wins while others have to win at all costs even if that "win" is rolling enough empty bases during slow time to win that map

Eagler