Author Topic: VR Quest 2 Mic Freezing Issue  (Read 1559 times)

Offline Kazick_Fairwind

• Zinc Member
VR Quest 2 Mic Freezing Issue
« on: April 19, 2021, 11:25:07 PM »
So I've got the Quest 2 running via link cable. I am aware of the work around to get the Quest's mic to work in PCVR mode, and it works no problem in anything else. (Discord, iRacing, DCS, Elite, etc.) But when ever I play Aces High, as soon as I press my radio button, I notice my game stutter a bit. I've tried a few other mics and they all work fine, no stutter. Is this a known issue? Is there a fix?

System specs are as follows
Nivida GTX1660 TI
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8600K CPU
16GB ram
VR is on a powered USB3.1 hub in a USB 3.1 port

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: VR Quest 2 Mic Freezing Issue
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 08:08:21 AM »
I use the Quest 2 with the Link cable also, but I use a gaming headset instead of the Quest's mic or audio.  I have noticed the same issue occasionally - sometimes when I press the mic button, the whole game locks up for a sec or two.  It is consistent and repeatable.

My first fix was to just close the game down, reboot, and restart the game.  That would seem to fix it.   But I did discover I can fix it within the game, with no need to shut down and reboot.  I went to the Sounds menu and played around with the devices - selected different devices than the ones currently assigned.   I'm not sure why or how this worked, but for example for audio I can select either the headset or my Realtek audio sound device - either works, though I get much better bass with the Realtek device.  Anyway, playing around with these device settings seems to solve the problem - even if I set it to one device and then go back to the original device later.

Next time it occurs I'll try to remember exactly what I did to fix it.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 08:38:01 AM »
Check audio drivers

Conflicting one can cause issues in AH game play

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Kazick_Fairwind

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 04:19:31 PM »
Ive tried drivers and even a whole new windows install, still having this issues. I'll press my PTT button, doesn't matter if range or channel my game will freeze for 2-3 seconds if I am using the Oculus Virtual Mic.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 03:52:46 AM »
Ive tried drivers and even a whole new windows install, still having this issues. I'll press my PTT button, doesn't matter if range or channel my game will freeze for 2-3 seconds if I am using the Oculus Virtual Mic.
Thats your issue!!! Using "Headset Microphone (Oculus Virtual Audio Device)"!  Instead use "Microphone(Rift Audio)"  Dont know what the difference is, but both settings in Game Sounds, Oculus Virtual Audio  Headset and Microphone cause issues
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Kazick_Fairwind

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2021, 03:48:54 AM »
Thats your issue!!! Using "Headset Microphone (Oculus Virtual Audio Device)"!  Instead use "Microphone(Rift Audio)"  Dont know what the difference is, but both settings in Game Sounds, Oculus Virtual Audio  Headset and Microphone cause issues

I don't have "Microphone(Rift Audio)" as an option.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2021, 03:57:59 PM »

I don't have "Microphone(Rift Audio)" as an option.
I relooked at OP...QUEST. Pretty sure it is somewhat similar. What options in game:options:Pref:game sounds...then advanced    under Microphone I have 7 options, Speakers I have 4. So if anything like for The Rift, it should be similar issue? :uhoh
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Kazick_Fairwind

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2021, 07:15:31 PM »
After updating some hardware and drivers I was still having the issue. And while its not completely gone, I have found one work around. If I load Aces High in OpenXR which loads it in SteamVR mode, it works just fine. If I load in Oculus mode, it freezes every-time I try to use the mic.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2021, 07:37:31 PM »
Jib, did you bring Pez or Dark with you?  :pray :D
"So far the score is Gunzo 237 - Skyyr 0"
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Kazick_Fairwind

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2021, 08:15:23 PM »
Jib, did you bring Pez or Dark with you?  :pray :D

I haven't talked to them in a LONG time, so sadly no.

Offline Kazick_Fairwind

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2021, 01:01:41 PM »
After updating some hardware and drivers I was still having the issue. And while its not completely gone, I have found one work around. If I load Aces High in OpenXR which loads it in SteamVR mode, it works just fine. If I load in Oculus mode, it freezes every-time I try to use the mic.

Update, this only sometimes solves the issue. It was working fine, then when I loaded up again a few hours later it wasn't working again.

Offline BK92107

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2022, 12:28:37 PM »
I was having the same problem with PTT in payday 2 vr. The 'fix' I found was to keep the windows settings System > Sound tab open. So long as the microphone is running all the time there's no issue. Not perfect but good enough for me
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 12:31:17 PM by BK92107 »

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2022, 05:05:21 PM »
Have you put the headset to 90hz?
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline HollyWood750

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2022, 08:10:07 PM »
I had the issue, thought it was a conflict with Voice Attack.  But after reading these entries, I changed my mic to Windows Default, in Oculus options, and it seems to have fixed the issue for me.  I have a 64 GB Quest V1 with link cable.

:salute

HlyWd

Offline Finn

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2022, 04:02:58 AM »
Another fix (I have this issue whenever I boot up Aces High)

Similar to what you are all trying ..."disable/re-enable Oculus Virtual Audio Device" in the sound settings.

• start aces and see if there is the freeze/stutter
  • alt-tab/or windows key to go to windows desktop
  • right-click speaker icon in taskbar
  • select SOUND
  • go to the recording tab
  • disable oculus virtual audio device
  • wait a few secs
  • enable oculus virtual audio device
  • alt-tab back to aces high
  • test if its working

I haven't tried "I changed my mic to Windows Default, in Oculus options, and it seems to have fixed the issue for me." - will see if that works too! thanks
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 06:49:47 AM by Finn »