Author Topic: Incubating and Hatching Chickens  (Read 663 times)

Offline Peanut1

• Nickel Member
Incubating and Hatching Chickens
« on: April 21, 2021, 09:11:11 PM »
Anyone ever do it? I have recently been doing it and am struggling to get over 40% hatch rate.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
Re: Incubating and Hatching Chickens
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 06:56:19 AM »
I used to and had about a 80-90% hatch rate. I didnt have nothing fancy, just a basic Little Giant styrofoam incubator I got from a farm store. Left in there a $5 temp/humidity sensor to watch the levels and turned them 2-3 times a day by hand Marked on the eggs an X and O for easy knowing. Every 5-7 days I would candle them and toss out the ones that were dead. The last few days I would stop touching them and wait on them to start hatching. Biggest thing was making sure they were turned and keeping the temp and humidity spot on. If I started with 20, I may get 18 chicks out of the batch. I would still be doing it but living in town I am not allowed to have chickens anymore because of crybaby neighbors

Now if your rooster isnt quite fertile, thats another story.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 06:59:00 AM by Meatwad »
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Peanut1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 09:24:52 AM »
I used to and had about a 80-90% hatch rate. I didnt have nothing fancy, just a basic Little Giant styrofoam incubator I got from a farm store. Left in there a $5 temp/humidity sensor to watch the levels and turned them 2-3 times a day by hand Marked on the eggs an X and O for easy knowing. Every 5-7 days I would candle them and toss out the ones that were dead. The last few days I would stop touching them and wait on them to start hatching. Biggest thing was making sure they were turned and keeping the temp and humidity spot on. If I started with 20, I may get 18 chicks out of the batch. I would still be doing it but living in town I am not allowed to have chickens anymore because of crybaby neighbors

Now if your rooster isnt quite fertile, thats another story.
I'm using a little giant as well, but it seems to have a mind of its own with holdings temps....for me to get the golden 99.5 I have the incubator set at 102.7. Occasionally it will be too low or too high. But the past week has been spot on and I have had 3 hatch last night after making this post....I have 32 eggs that are all looking good as of 6 days ago. My last batch of 20 eggs had 4 hatch and 2 not make it through hatch.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 07:48:13 PM »
Mine held spot on. Wonder if the thermostat is all wonky or a small defect in the foam causing heat to escape
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 01:19:25 PM »
Note: I know nothing of what you two are doing, I'm just asking some questions that may be helpful in solving the issue. :aok

There seems to be different variants with different costs to them based off of a quick google search.  Meat, Peanut, what kinds did you get?  Is there any real difference between the cheap ones vs the expensive ones?  That might play a factor into this.  :headscratch:
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 03:33:26 PM »
Mine was the cheapest they had - $40-50

Mine looks like this one. Manual temp control

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:37:53 PM by Meatwad »

Offline Peanut1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 03:37:22 PM »
Note: I know nothing of what you two are doing, I'm just asking some questions that may be helpful in solving the issue. :aok

There seems to be different variants with different costs to them based off of a quick google search.  Meat, Peanut, what kinds did you get?  Is there any real difference between the cheap ones vs the expensive ones?  That might play a factor into this.  :headscratch:
Mine Is pretty cheap with a few upgrades like forced air, Automatic egg turners and Humidifying system. I don't expect to get the 80% hatch rate that folks like to aim for...but can't seem to reach 50% that others achieve without issue using this incubator.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2021, 04:39:52 PM »
Does there appear to be any gaps when your incubator is closed Peanut?  Are there any signs of "squeezing" on the stryofoam that can happen during shipping?  Are you able to reliably test the thermostat?

You might be forced to bite the bullet and pick up another one.  How long have you been using that incubator?
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 10:13:03 PM »
I have a older LG with fan in it. The temp controller is a rheostat and hard to control temps. I use a STC 1000 controller with it. I use 2 towels over it to help stabilize temp. I run 30 to 45 percent humidity till lock down then raise to 65 percent. I use sponges under the screen to hold the water as the water channels are crap. You can use a pencil to circle the aircell and watch it also as you incubate.
I get decent hatch rates with the little giant using the temp controller, but still think it is crappy incubator and its 12 years old seen better days.

I also bought a farm innovator this year which is temp controlled in the unit and digital. Works much better. From reviews people hate them or love them. SO far works good for me.

I also use 2 extra thermometers with dual purpose temp and humidity and memory, They have probes on them so I can monitor and look for hot and cold spots. Incubator warehouse is where I get those.

Large eggs I run 80 plus percent hatch, bantam eggs not as good. The little giant still has temp swings, but much more controlled now with controller. Am thinking of getting PID or different type of controller. I think the temp swings is what is hurting my bantam eggs. I was doing a mixed incubator run with large fowl and bantam eggs.

I have just bantam eggs in the Farm innovator now and going to start large fowl eggs in Little Giant. Be 6th and final hatch for the year.

About 6 weeks I can start butchering chickens from my first run.
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2021, 10:42:01 AM »
Sounds like a great investment considering the chicken plants can't get enough help and costs are skyrocketing

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2021, 12:44:55 PM »
If you are going to grow chickens......you better keep an eye out for Chicken Hawks

:D
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2021, 10:52:48 AM »
My wife got the itch to raise quail, we successfully hatched out about 20 out of 36 eggs back in early April. We have a LG, her struggle was keeping the humidity right more than temperature, the digital measurements were a bit scattered at times. We now have 14 mostly hens it appears with perhaps 5 males that are nearing five weeks old - ought to start laying eggs at week 8-10. Been a lot of work keeping them fed, watered and cleaned - I hope when the reach maturity and we get them out of the brood boxes and into the outdoor hutches where we can get larger feeders/waterers we shouldn’t have to mess with them as often.

Keeping bees for honey is more my thing, my wife sure did pick a fine time to be 6 months pregnant when it comes to taking care of these little dudes lol! She had one particular one die on her that she had been babying, she was pretty much a wreck for the rest of the week.
"Lord, let us feel pity for Private Jenkins, and sorrow for ourselves, and all the angel warriors that fall. Let us fear death, but let it not live within us. Protect us, O Lord, and be merciful unto us. Amen"-from FALLEN ANGELS by Walter Dean Myers

Game ID: ShtGn (Inactive), Squad: 91st BG

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2021, 12:40:44 PM »
Once you get some hatched, the next batch is easy. Just let a hen set on a batch and let her take care of it.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com