Author Topic: Does anyone still use DDU?  (Read 708 times)

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
Does anyone still use DDU?
« on: May 18, 2021, 09:52:07 AM »
Was wondering if anyone still swears by DDU, prior to Nvidia driver updates. 

MH

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Does anyone still use DDU?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 10:34:40 AM »
I've used it when there's potential issues. Usually I just check the "Clean install" box for a minor update.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 09:35:50 PM »
There's no need to use it every time you update drivers. I'll use it if I seem to be having issues or just want to start with a completely clean install. Some say to do it if there's a major driver revision but I'm not sure how that's defined. It wipes out everything that the usual uninstall leaves behind so it's good for that. It seems to be the recommended go to software for this.

The drill is to do a regular uninstall of the drivers, restart the PC in safe mode (very important) and run DDU. Choose the drivers you want cleaned and the option to clean and restart. Choose clean and shutdown if you are actually replacing the graphics card. Let it do it's thing. On restart it'll look like the first time booting with a new card. Install the new drivers and rock on.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 12:42:29 PM »
Thanks for the responses.

I've been using it for a long time, as back in the day it seemed to be recommended by the more knowledgeable-sounding people on these boards, including Skuzzy. 

But these days it doesn't seem to get mentioned much, so the basis for my confidence in it has waned.  I've never seen it mentioned on other forums / fora, for example.  So I'm considering reverting to reliance on the custom install capability of the Nvidia driver upgrade packages, as do 99.9% of other gamers.  FWIW.

MH

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 01:31:04 PM »
It's still supported and gets regular updates. I just used it recently when I followed a guide to strip down the stock NVidia drivers to get all their crap out of them. Had to start off with a clean slate and that's where DDU came in.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 03:28:05 AM »
--- these days it doesn't seem to get mentioned much, so the basis for my confidence in it has waned.  I've never seen it mentioned on other forums / fora, for example.---

To me that tells that a) there's people who simply don't understand the difference between a console and a PC, nor do they know about updating the drivers let alone familiarizing with the hardware requirements, and b) if the games they play don't work out of the box they simply dump them without trying to fix the issue.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni