Author Topic: B29 full fuel and heaviest bomb load  (Read 2154 times)

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
B29 full fuel and heaviest bomb load
« on: May 04, 2021, 10:25:18 PM »
Is it possible to take off in this configuration? If so how?

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
Re: B29 full fuel and heaviest bomb load
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 11:09:56 PM »
Fully loaded the in game B29's have to hit 140 knots to rotate. Currently there is NO runway long enough on any of the bases to accommodate that. The last two maps I submitted for the MA have at least 2 bases in each country set up to accommodate these planes. All they are is extending the flat terrain out far enough for the B29's to get airborne in "Auto Takeoff" on one runway. Take a look at the Large Airbases on maps 3points and texark. The bases setup are adjacent to the strats.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline svaalbar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 01:34:14 AM »
Just did it on a altitude 202 feet base. Granted, it was a 2-runway base (Medium Air Field?).

100% fuel, formation, 40x500lbs. Take off with WEP and gently baby the plane to 2k+ feet
"All fighter pilots were a little crazy, but mostly the nicest guys you'd ever meet." The Biography of a Rabbit, by Roy Benson Jr - https://gutenberg.org/files/7190/7190-h/7190-h.htm

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaKxx5UhMZ0REI8E2FGfGag

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 01:45:05 AM »
I've done it on the longest of runways for large airfields, near sea level, at least for runways where the ground dips away from end of runway after you clear some trees.

I went with wep on, deploy 2 notches of flaps once past half way point of runway, gear up as soon as off the ground.

I can then clear trees barely and baby it up to enough speed to get 1 notch up, then 2nd notch up.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 08:16:11 AM »
Ive done it many times at low alt.

I even watched the chief pilot of the CAF do it the first time.

HiTech

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 09:16:22 AM »
Didn't say it couldn't be done lol, but again there is NO base with a runway long enough for the fully loaded B29 to takeoff from, in "Auto Takeoff".  :D
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 08:02:17 PM »
I go and look at the bases in f8 mode and look for the terrain to be treeless and fairly flat from the end of the runway and out a ways.  I personally begin with no flaps, brake on, full throttle and WEP.  I release the brakes and roll down the runway to build speed.  Nearing the end of the runway, I hit 2 notches of flaps and lift, raising gear as soon as I'm in the air.  But no, I have never been able to lift the beast on just the runway with a full load out.  Suggest practicing off line.  If someone has a better thought here..lemmme know....I've crashed a few B-29 formations on take off in the past...Thank god I have an enormous amount of bomber perks.    :)

Cheers,  One-eye
"One-Eye"

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 10:13:32 PM »
Bear in mind it's been more than a good while since I flew the 29, AH2 days if I recall correctly:

With a formation (100% fuel, 40x 500lb), you want a large field with the longest runway where the end of the runway has flat terrain and no have trees for light years, ideally with down slope off the runway.  Jam the brake go full power and wait until the gal starts to overpower her brake, then release.  Let her build up as much speed as possible then, around 2/3rd down the runway, drop two notches of flap slowly (no quicker than 1s between each notch), but do not pull back on the stick just yet.  Give her another 2-3 seconds then very gently pull back.  Once she's off the ground, get your gear up and let her stay just off the ground and keep building speed.  After a few stars are born and die, she will start to very slowly climb on her own.  Don't do anything, fly straight and let her climb at her own pace.  Let her keep building speed and altitude and eventually you will be able to bring up one notch.  Wait until you have sufficient speed and altitude then only bring up one notch or you'll have a quick trip back to tower and a few perks less.  You will begin to dip, do nothing, she will stabilize and start climbing back up at her own pace (providing you gave yourself enough altitude of course).  From there you should be in the clear and will eventually be able to get the last notch of flaps up.

With a single, the same applies, only you actually have a little more leeway.  If you screw up, won't cost you as much. :P
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 02:38:19 AM »
Ive done it many times at low alt.

I even watched the chief pilot of the CAF do it the first time.

HiTech

Yes sir

Couple of important things pilots with little experience on the subject should consider and implement when attempting this...

1) When starting up the engines you need to just sit there a few minutes and allow your engines to warm up. This allows the maximum performance on take off.

2) Always WEP Up at full throttle with brakes on for 5 seconds before disengaging the parking brake.

3) Keep those flaps up until the last moment to gain as much speed as possible. Don't over due it with the flaps as maintaining the right amount of airspeed while producing lift is critical. 2 clicks should be enough. 3 clicks is really pushing it but it works. Problem is your not going to gain much airspeed once up and as soon as you raise your flaps up a notch your gonna drop very quickly from 3 click to 2.

4) Once you got 100-500' clearance off the deck and around 165-170 airspeed go ahead and try to level out while slowly pulling back the stick to maintain alt when you start pulling up those flaps one click at a time. Once you got around 180 mph airspeed go ahead and set you climb speed to 180 and let the auto pilot do all the work. Hop into a gun, select F3 mode, and gently rudder left or right if you need to turn your bird to maximize climb rate and not stall.

5) Always scout an airfield before attempting a take off with a full bag and max ordinance load out. Us vets aren't too worried about that row of trees close to the end of the runway as we are the subtle hill 5 miles away you can barely make out from the runway or tower. You can get 29's over the trees but if you have to avoid a hill or mountain in your first 3-5 minutes something could go terribly wrong. Always always always scout ahead.

6) A full bag of fuel is totally unnecessary in AH3. Yes your buying yourself a lot of extra flight time if you know how to squeeze every drop efficiently from the start of your sortie but the time it takes to climb to +20k vs 1/2 to 3/4 bag just isn't worth it in my opinion. You can get a lot done in that extra 30 minutes of climb time doing something else post sortie IMHO.

7) You don't need a large airfield to pull this off. Medium airfields work just fine :huh besides not every map has a large airfield.

8) last but not least it's always better to take off from a runway that's higher than it's surroundings. Even if its at the back of the map.. If you can get it up and then nose down shortly after take off your getting to that 180 climb speed without flaps quick. Sooner your safely climbing the better. Never start your ascent immediately after take off :aok

Once you have 1000-1500 of altitude you can adjust your climb speed to whatever speed provides the best climb rate. Just take into account the altitude your taking off from and what direction the wind is coming out of. Don't want to take off from a runway that's already high up but your going with the wind. Had that happen once and it didn't work out to well. Not sure if this is the case nowadays but it was in the past on very rare occasion.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 03:00:03 AM by mERv »
"Its no problem to be the best, but to be so much better than the best is going to bring accusations." Haggarty
"Ever wonder why its always b-17s and B-24s. It allows him an extreme advantage over other players hence his bomber kill count, that and his lazer beam guns." Diaster

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 06:26:51 AM »

1) When starting up the engines you need to just sit there a few minutes and allow your engines to warm up. This allows the maximum performance on take off.

In AH, there is no need for warming up the engines. You have maximum performance right from startup.

Reading this thread, I wonder what anyone needs 100% fuel in a B-29 in this age of small maps.  :headscratch:
Checking my logs I never had any used 100% on any map but the old large ones (like Compello), and even on those just occasionally. (87 out of 596 B-29 missions in my flight log).
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 08:13:20 AM »
In AH, there is no need for warming up the engines. You have maximum performance right from startup.

Reading this thread, I wonder what anyone needs 100% fuel in a B-29 in this age of small maps.  :headscratch:
Checking my logs I never had any used 100% on any map but the old large ones (like Compello), and even on those just occasionally. (87 out of 596 B-29 missions in my flight log).

Snailman, your consistent methodical approach to AH2/3 is an inspiration to the rest of us. Hope to some day see you back in the air hunting bombers again.  :salute

Hope you and the family are doing well, God Bless.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2021, 04:02:54 PM »
I’ve wrecked a few on takeoff, perks gone...lol  :bhead

Wasn’t until then I realized that when I went with 50% that was enough fuel to fly around for a couple hours or more...
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2021, 04:03:17 PM »

Yeah, that is did strike me as a little odd as well, just didn't care enough to bring it up. :)  I used 100% primarily because I flew very high.  It takes a while to get above 30k after all, and I did a bit of the climbing over friendly territory.  I always planned to return to the launching field as well, which was generally deep in friendly territory. :aok
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 04:06:34 PM by Volron »
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2021, 04:04:56 PM »
If the fuel load showed approximate time in the hangar noobs might get a better idea how much to take in any plane they select.
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2021, 05:07:50 PM »
If the fuel load showed approximate time in the hangar noobs might get a better idea how much to take in any plane they select.
There are a few factors that make that difficult. 2 of the more obvious would whether a player is flying at full throttle for time purposes or flying in a more fuel efficient manner. The other is how long In a flight is the bird flying with or against the wind. Later on in my AH career I started utilizing the wind at different altitudes for fuel conservation just for the heck of it to develop the habit. Ended up being a nice time investment when I actually needed it.
"Its no problem to be the best, but to be so much better than the best is going to bring accusations." Haggarty
"Ever wonder why its always b-17s and B-24s. It allows him an extreme advantage over other players hence his bomber kill count, that and his lazer beam guns." Diaster