Author Topic: VKB Gunftr surprise  (Read 599 times)

Offline Bixby

• Copper Member
VKB Gunftr surprise
« on: May 06, 2021, 07:24:11 AM »
  Well, about two weeks ago I began to get the "don't move controls too fast" message and also had an issue with left x axis spiking. Also around the same time I was getting a rash of discos.

So I disassembled the gunfighter and found that the dry clutch had come loose and fallen completely off. I put it back on and recalibrated. I played AH for about two hours yesterday and an hour this morning.

The discoes are completely gone so far. Were the erratic inputs from my stick causing the discoes?  Well my other attempts to solve the disco issue were fruitless.

Using the VKB Gunfighter Mk 2 and T-rudder pedals. Just wanted to pass this along...Bix.

Offline Bixby

• Copper Member
Re: VKB Gunftr surprise
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 07:26:08 AM »
  Note. I meant to say that the retaining nut for the dry clutch had fallen off. Nut the clutch itself.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: VKB Gunftr surprise
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 08:11:34 AM »
Erratic inputs can be caused by a couple of things. Anything metallic that's not where it should be around the sensors will throw it off. Rare, but I was helping a guy on the VKB forums recently with the same kind of problem and he found a washer behind one of the PCBs! Was stuck to the magnet. That was kind of obvious but any little bit of metal will throw it off.

More likely it's a loose connection. The sensors are super precise but need a smooth signal. Open up the base and check the little white wire connectors that are plugged into the PCBs. Unplug and plug them back in. When plugging them back in make sure none of the individual wires look like they're coming out of the connector. They're tiny and might not be seated in the connector properly. If one is loose just push it in til it clicks. They're so small you'll more feel it than hear it. Then put the connector back on. Once back together you'll have to recalibrate.

There have been other instances of broken wires but that's rare too. I figure this might be the only weak spot on these sticks. Better, sturdy gimbal. Sensors are way more precise. But until somebody comes up with a magical way of connecting the moving gimbal to the electronics without wires that's gonna have to do.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group