Author Topic: 30 cal vs 50 cal in tail of lanc  (Read 615 times)

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
30 cal vs 50 cal in tail of lanc
« on: May 09, 2021, 12:11:07 AM »
Is there anybody who prefers the 30 cal to the 50 cal? Seems the ammo is just about unlimited with the 30 cals but I guess it won't matter if you're dead.

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
Re: 30 cal vs 50 cal in tail of lanc
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 08:40:12 AM »
30 cals are absolutely worthless

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 08:49:21 AM »

and then some

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 06:29:44 PM »

Disagree completely

Although the 50 cal does a lot better job of cutting through an airplane, I found the 30 cal quite useful in certain situations. At the end of the day it comes down to how dialed in you are with your guns. Absolutely your going to take damage. It's a pain to run out of ammo when you need it most. Hence why I would run 30's a lot.

I dunno just seems like I always had success when running them and never had to pull my finger off the trigger in the process. Kinda like shooting lasers out the back end.

Just simply flying in a straight line never really suited me well towards the end of my flying days. I would constantly nose down to gain as much speed as possible. Once a target was close enough j would dot speed to 115 and throw it into auto climb while twisting my stick in the guns to get my bird to turn. Then repeat the process over and over always disrupting the rhythm of an attack.
Whether it worked or not came down to skill and luck. But always with the 30 cals when I disrupted an attack it would force the attacker to hang just a little longer in the pocket for me to spray. Thats whats needed for success with 30's. More times than not they would simply have to break away or die.

Only those high 5-7 o clock passes were impossible to defend 30 or 50 cal. So always would turn away and dive if I could which in the case of the 30s gave me more of window to hammer down with the guns.

I shot down hundreds with the 30s... I shot down a few thousand with the 50's but always would run out of ammo when I needed it most.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 06:42:06 PM by mERv »
"Its no problem to be the best, but to be so much better than the best is going to bring accusations." Haggarty
"Ever wonder why its always b-17s and B-24s. It allows him an extreme advantage over other players hence his bomber kill count, that and his lazer beam guns." Diaster