Author Topic: IT'S BACK!!!!!!  (Read 4200 times)

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: IT'S BACK!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2021, 12:24:01 PM »
Fuji, can you swap the X and Y axis' on the performance charts so that the X is speed/climb rate and Y axis is altitude? This would make them like the old site was and also the HTC charts.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline svaalbar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2021, 02:36:19 PM »

Trim in a 109 is an important consideration and becoming familiar with the full range of trim available and knowing when to use it largely removes the 109's weakness of poor control response at high speed. Whenever your speed falls to a controllable level you can quickly restore normal trim settings using CTRL+X. Trim can be used as a supplement to stick input and with a bit of practice can be used instinctively to accurately aim the 109 or stay on a cons 6 at high speed. The trim keys are:

Elevator up = K Elevator down = I Rudder left = J Rudder right = L Aileron left = M Aileron right = , (comma key)

Note: trimming does not add extra turning ability, trimming is done in Aces High by moving your existing control surfaces not by adjusting trim tabs. Trim only overcomes the simulated heavy control surfaces at high speeds.

https://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/Bf_109G-2

I've known about trim since I started the game, but never really thought to use it to aim a 30mm tater at 600+ out. I've only done this a few times though ;)

Try it against the drones in the offline practice and its pretty nice to line up a sweet shot. Since I got a better joystick, monitor, and VR set up I don't really trim aim anymore unless I have a 30mm+ cannon plane.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 02:40:10 PM by svaalbar »
"All fighter pilots were a little crazy, but mostly the nicest guys you'd ever meet." The Biography of a Rabbit, by Roy Benson Jr - https://gutenberg.org/files/7190/7190-h/7190-h.htm

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaKxx5UhMZ0REI8E2FGfGag

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2021, 03:31:37 PM »
My browsers are not working with the link provided.

66.189.10.34:8080/gonzo/ah_charts_2.html

^ that’s the link which of course is not http or www...

How are you getting the page to work? It takes me to the website(s) but won’t load any comparisons once I hit submit.

Thanks in advance

:salute
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2021, 04:14:27 PM »
My browsers are not working with the link provided.

66.189.10.34:8080/gonzo/ah_charts_2.html

^ that’s the link which of course is not http or www...

How are you getting the page to work? It takes me to the website(s) but won’t load any comparisons once I hit submit.

Thanks in advance

:salute

The address is the actual address of the server. What browser are you using?

Fuji, can you swap the X and Y axis' on the performance charts so that the X is speed/climb rate and Y axis is altitude? This would make them like the old site was and also the HTC charts.

I thought about that, and it looks odd to us as we know the other way, but to a new guy I think the visual of that speed climbing with alt or the climb rate fall off will help them.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2021, 05:02:13 PM »
The address is the actual address of the server. What browser are you using?

Apple’s safari & DuckDuckGo.  Both from my IPad
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2021, 05:31:07 PM »
I thought about that, and it looks odd to us as we know the other way, but to a new guy I think the visual of that speed climbing with alt or the climb rate fall off will help them.

I don't know, I think the visual of the vertical axis representing altitude is the most intuitive for players new and old.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2021, 06:49:50 PM »

I think it's totally counterintuitive even to a new guy to have 'altitude over ground' go from left to right instead of 'up and down'. It's also confusing to use a format different from the in game charts.

But it's great to see that tool back again  :aok
Any plans to add the missing fighters?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2021, 07:16:24 PM »
https://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/Bf_109G-2

I've known about trim since I started the game, but never really thought to use it to aim a 30mm tater at 600+ out. I've only done this a few times though ;)

It's nothing more than a gimmick and will not provide you with any significant advantage over some else.  You are better off practicing your flying and gunnery skills.

Try it against the drones in the offline practice and its pretty nice to line up a sweet shot. Since I got a better joystick, monitor, and VR set up I don't really trim aim anymore unless I have a 30mm+ cannon plane.

Been playing this game and others like AH since before you were born.  I don't need to resort to gimmicks.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2021, 09:13:52 PM »
I don't know, I think the visual of the vertical axis representing altitude is the most intuitive for players new and old.

I think it's totally counterintuitive even to a new guy to have 'altitude over ground' go from left to right instead of 'up and down'. It's also confusing to use a format different from the in game charts.

But it's great to see that tool back again  :aok
Any plans to add the missing fighters?

To me it makes perfect sense. moving from left to right the "giving" is the altitude increases. The plotting shows either top speed or increase in fpm by climbing up the chart  (up is always tied to "good") until it hits that point where you are no longer getting any benefit and it "drops off" with the plots running down.

As to adding the other planes, Id love to but Im not sure about adding them to the code ( I think I know how to do it) but the bigger issue is finding the time to gather the data for each graph. I believe that part of the package Gonzo gave me gives me information on "how" they gathered the data, but it may be a lot of time involved getting it all together.

Offline Eviscerate

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2021, 09:28:00 PM »
Been playing this game and others like AH since before you were born.  I don't need to resort to gimmicks.
You asked and he answered, no need to be a dick about it.

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2021, 10:28:47 PM »
To me it makes perfect sense. moving from left to right the "giving" is the altitude increases. The plotting shows either top speed or increase in fpm by climbing up the chart  (up is always tied to "good") until it hits that point where you are no longer getting any benefit and it "drops off" with the plots running down.

Yeah, but "up" is also always tied to "up"
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline svaalbar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2021, 10:57:15 PM »
It's nothing more than a gimmick and will not provide you with any significant advantage over some else.  You are better off practicing your flying and gunnery skills.

Ok. Thanks for proving my point.
"All fighter pilots were a little crazy, but mostly the nicest guys you'd ever meet." The Biography of a Rabbit, by Roy Benson Jr - https://gutenberg.org/files/7190/7190-h/7190-h.htm

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaKxx5UhMZ0REI8E2FGfGag

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2021, 06:54:27 AM »
At 450+mph it is useful in a 109 to trim down, as AH's auto trim isn't sufficient enough.
Of course the reverse to pull out of a high speed dive, hammer that K key  :D.
But other than that this "trim aiming" is as AKAK said, "a gimmick" and that's that.
Regardless, scoring a hit by shooting a 30mm on say a K4 over 300yards is always a gamble, as the 30mm is inaccurate and at 600yards is more dumb luck than anything.
Follow the 109 pilot's 30mm rule; 30mm set to 350yards and shoot at icon 300 or less.

But also the information is not wholly correct to my observation, "trimming does not add extra turning ability", there are some exceptions;
 Manually trimming nose up on a P51 at low speed (i.e. on flaps,) improves turnrate, and will help win a TnB fight to an identical P51 using autotrim.
This is because autotrim is designed to get the aircraft to fly flat at level at that certain speed, AcesHigh doesn't use separate trim tabs, but moves the whole elevator surface. Therefore there is less deflection angle with the auto trim on in a P51 at low speed, as it wants to point the nose down to level flight.

I'm pretty bad at explaining things, but;

this has been my Ted Talk.

:D

JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2021, 11:21:12 AM »
AcesHigh doesn't use separate trim tabs, but moves the whole elevator surface. Therefore there is less deflection angle with the auto trim on in a P51 at low speed, as it wants to point the nose down to level flight.

This is not correct. Aces high trim is exactly the same as moving your stick. But in real life this simply removes the pressure on the stick where you currently are holding it. If you are hands off in real life the stick moves when you adjust trim. This is accomplished by a tab on the back of the control surface which moves the opposite direction of which way you want the control surface to move.

This is how trim tabs work on almost all airplanes except a few that have a trimable horizontal stab or I have also seen simple spring adjustments on aileron trim on some planes. 

Now the issue that we can not do like real life is that I can not remove pressure from your stick position with out you moving the stick. So if you would apply up trim you need to move stick forward to maintain the same pitch attitude. Now en order to still maintain full stick deflection the the scale of elevator to stick movement is adjusted as trim is so that you will stick have full stick deflection no matter where the trim is.

The only time trim can change your turn rates is when you are not elevator stop limited, but stick force limited because of high speed. In this case moving trim will add or decrease turn performance.

HiTech

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2021, 01:08:02 PM »
This is fantastic!!  Thanks for the work you put into it. 
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com