Author Topic: Converting a quality PS/2 keyboard to USB  (Read 844 times)

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
Converting a quality PS/2 keyboard to USB
« on: May 20, 2021, 07:11:09 PM »
Hi all,

Since the early 1990s, I've used a high-quality keyboard (Keytronic KB101 Plus) for Air Warrior, Warbirds, and Aces High.  One nice thing about it is the numeric keypad supports the legacy view system via 3-key numeric combinations, and I've always preferred the legacy view system.  Given its age, this keyboard uses a PS/2 connector.

Just discovered that the ASUS Prime Z490-A MB on the PC I'm building doesn't have a PS/2 connector on the back.  Questions:

1)  Does anyone have experience with PS/2 adapters or (more expensive) converters?  (my preferred solution)
2)  Does anyone recommend a modern USB, high-quality keyboard supporting 3-key numeric keypad use?   (a future solution)

Thanks in advance,
MH
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 07:24:10 PM by TDeacon »

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Converting a quality PS/2 keyboard to USB
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 03:23:44 AM »
Since there's adapters widely available that obviously means they should also work. I've only used printer port to usb adapters so far so I don't have first hand experience on keyboards. The last keyboard adapter I needed was to connect a PS/2 keyboard to a DIN connector...

After a quick search there's a couple of things to consider:
  • An active adapter might work better - which means a passive one might work as well
  • Make sure the adapter is made for keyboard instead of mouse only
  • In the BIOS settings, change USB behaviour to Legacy

Hope that helps
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 01:29:28 PM »
I've used PS/2 to USB converters, any should work since they're pretty simplistic.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 11:48:31 AM »
I've used PS/2 to USB converters, any should work since they're pretty simplistic.

Ditto, I use the same on my IBM "M" buckling spring keyboard and others, and they work fine.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2021, 09:34:34 AM »
Ditto, I use the same on my IBM "M" buckling spring keyboard and others, and they work fine.

Ditto.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2021, 02:18:48 PM »
Hi all,

Since the early 1990s, I've used a high-quality keyboard (Keytronic KB101 Plus) for Air Warrior, Warbirds, and Aces High.  One nice thing about it is the numeric keypad supports the legacy view system via 3-key numeric combinations, and I've always preferred the legacy view system.  Given its age, this keyboard uses a PS/2 connector.

Just discovered that the ASUS Prime Z490-A MB on the PC I'm building doesn't have a PS/2 connector on the back.  Questions:

1)  Does anyone have experience with PS/2 adapters or (more expensive) converters?  (my preferred solution)
2)  Does anyone recommend a modern USB, high-quality keyboard supporting 3-key numeric keypad use?   (a future solution)

Thanks in advance,
MH

Any PS/2 to USB adaptor will work.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song