Author Topic: AH BootStrap tool and instruction manual  (Read 1205 times)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
AH BootStrap tool and instruction manual
« on: April 22, 2021, 10:38:52 PM »
I have attached Badboy's AH_BootStrap tool and his Instruction guide in a pdf file in zip format to this post for Slade / -X15, and for any others who might want to take interest in finding performance data for the aircraft in Aces High III

Hope this helps and anyone who uses it, gets enjoyment out of it...

Special Thanks to Leon ( Badboy ) for creating this for the AH Community... he offered this to the AH Community over 11 years ago

TC

PS - I am still searching my archives for Spatula's AH Aircraft Comparison tool
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
Re: AH BootStrap tool and instruction manual
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 06:05:31 AM »
Thanks TC!
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 11:46:13 AM »
Special Thanks to Leon ( Badboy ) for creating this for the AH Community... he offered this to the AH Community over 11 years ago

TC

Hi TC

Thanks for posting that, I'd forgotten we could attach files in this forum.

I've been flying a lot more frequently lately, but never see you online, we must be completely out of sync :)

Kind regards

Badboy
The Damned (est. 1988)
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 08:06:06 AM »
I have a techincal question: why do the instructions say to not use rudder to coordinate your turn. Do you not incur more drag by not coordinating?

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened" - Dr. Seuss

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 11:48:10 AM »
I have a techincal question: why do the instructions say to not use rudder to coordinate your turn. Do you not incur more drag by not coordinating?

Hi nrshida

That's a Good question, and apologies in advance for a less than technical response.

When I do the flight tests myself I wait until I've reached a sustained turn without losing or gaining altitude and use a stop watch to time at least five full 360 degree turns. My objective in the turn is to achieve the shortest time possible. I've found that attempting to coordinate the turn has a detrimental impact on the result.

When I've worked with other players to improve their turning ability, my metric for success is that I can no longer out turn them. I can normally achieve that after one or two sessions, but there have been times when I have just not been able to figure out why the other player just can't seem to match my turns. At some point I ask if they are coordinating their turns and if they say yes I have asked them to try and stop doing it. Their turning ability has always improved.

My advice in those cases is, don't do what should work, do what does work.

I suspect that in a sim we lack the physical and visual feedback needed to get it just right, combined with the fact you can't watch the ball (if you have one) and the bandit at the same time during a fight. So my guess is that over correction for adverse yaw with either too much rudder, or the right amount for too long, may be doing more harm than good. You can see how this might be true by noticing the significant impact that drag has on your speed with just a little too much rudder.

This has come up before and on the rare occasion when someone has claimed to be able to turn better while coordinating their turns, a quick visit to the training arena has confirmed otherwise :) 

So it may just be that it's something that is difficult to get right, and that doing it badly does more harm than not doing it at all. 

Even so, there are exceptions. I've been discussing sustained turns at constant altitude. However I've seen a real advantage in using the rudder during fairly steep diving and climbing turns, so much so that you can actually see the impact of it when others are doing it against you. But nothing I've ever attempted to flight test.

Give it a try, and let me know if you get different results?

If this is something you would like to experiment with in the TA I'd be happy to help?

Kind regards

Badboy
The Damned (est. 1988)
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 12:55:48 AM »
Hi TC

Thanks for posting that, I'd forgotten we could attach files in this forum.

I've been flying a lot more frequently lately, but never see you online, we must be completely out of sync :)

Kind regards

Badboy

Hey Badboy

Just give me a call or shoot me a pm on the message board here when you're wanting to fly, wing, duel or do some testing...

I'm sure you still have my house and mobile numbers but will fire off a pm to you just incase

I try to fly the KOTH events, and try my best to make Monday Night Madness in the  AvA arena when I don't forget...and I am off and on in the MA... and fly FSO on Friday nights when they are scheduled...

Batfink  sent me a pm and I met up with him in the Training Arena and Sik1 joined us for roughly 2 hours or so a Lil bit ago...really enjoyed it

Cheers

TC / Johnny

PS-  I will be at the doctor tomorrow morning and again Thursday morning,  but will be good to go afterwards after about 3:00pm edt Thursday
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 02:29:10 PM »
That's a Good question, and apologies in advance for a less than technical response.

Not to worry. I was conjecturing that P-factor might account for not having to coordinate when turning with the prop, but not the other way around.  :headscratch:

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened" - Dr. Seuss

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 05:07:02 AM »
PS - I am still searching my archives for Spatula's AH Aircraft Comparison tool

Hey TC. Funny thing i was going over the BB today and saw this. For you mate, and anyone else who will find it interesting you can download my tool from this link:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtXKxfmHT9C2obQU_FmqPl_Ix9W5j g?e=Hf162d

You might also see the scores/stats tool i did as well.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 05:09:43 AM by Spatula »
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2021, 02:17:34 PM »
Hey TC. Funny thing i was going over the BB today and saw this. For you mate, and anyone else who will find it interesting you can download my tool from this link:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtXKxfmHT9C2obQU_FmqPl_Ix9W5j g?e=Hf162d

You might also see the scores/stats tool i did as well.

Enjoy!

Thanks Spatula,  very much appreciated Sir!

Slade (-X15) Hope you you and others have revisited and seen Spatula's post and link to his tool he created

<S>

TC