Author Topic: RIP Tom T. Hall  (Read 661 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
RIP Tom T. Hall
« on: August 20, 2021, 09:35:43 PM »

Born in Olive Hill, Kentucky, in 1936, Hall worked as a DJ and played with his first band, the Kentucky Travelers, before joining the army in 1957.

Hall worked again as a DJ in the early 60s, moving to Nashville in 1964 to write music, producing his first #1 hit.

Called “The Storyteller,” Tom T. Hall composed chart-topping music throughout the 70s, being elected to the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1978.

Hall wrote the book on songwriting with his “Songwriter’s Handbook,” producing hundreds of hits throughout his career like “Ballad of Forty Dollars,” later recorded by Johnny Cash and Waylon Jennings. Music he wrote for others often brought their careers forward, including Jeannie C. Riley’s “Harper Valley P.T.A.” in 1968 and Alan Jackson’s “Little Bitty,” in 1996.

In 1979, Hall brought a film crew from Nashville to Levelland and brought national eyes and ears to an early commercial music program at South Plains College with a mini-documentary on the country and bluegrass music being made there.

A concert hall and production center on SPC campus named in his honor hosted a benefit concert in 1987, featuring Hall and SPC faculty, , with proceeds resulting in the Tom T. and Dixie Hall Scholarship.

Even after retiring from performing, Hall with his wife and fellow songwriter, Miss Dixie, continued their methods of musical storytelling, advancing and inspiring the careers of bluegrass musicians for decades.

Hall was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2008, the International Bluegrass Hall of Fame in 2018, and the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2019.

Copyright 2021 KCBD. All rights reserved.

https://www.kcbd.com/2021/08/21/country-music-hall-fame-singersongwriter-tom-t-hall-dies-85/

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
Re: RIP Tom T. Hall
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 10:22:22 AM »
He was one of the best storytelling singers out there. His song I love was once the most requested love song! I even dedicated it a few times!  :D Even though he retired in 1986, I will still miss hm..
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 01:00:26 PM »

Offline TryHard

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2021, 06:38:01 PM »
I'll remember the year Tom T hall died, one of the best...  :salute

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2021, 11:55:17 AM »
Dang. I didn't know he was that old. I remember his "I like beer" song from the 70's.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2021, 05:22:38 PM »