Author Topic: Sucking in tanks COntinued  (Read 2308 times)

Offline Guano

• Zinc Member
Sucking in tanks COntinued
« on: May 31, 2021, 09:31:51 AM »
Getting a bit better but there are 3 areas where I'm unsure.

1.  If I take a position and shut the engine down and listen, when they are moving, I can hear the treads.  I have 4 gz pc using realtek sound and a really good video card. But, with all that I am still nothing but cannon fodder.  Tankers can move up close, I can't see them and they put me away.  I Don't use headphones, but rather use really expensive hearing aids that I can connect to the PC via bluetooth, and they are better than the headphones I used.  I can track the oncoming swinging the turret back and forth and listen to the volume change in either ear.

2. Distance contact.  I have all the zoom features set to my controller, but I can never see the guy who shoots me from a great distance.  Possibly he shoots from great cover. I scan the area then see the shell come right for me.

3.  In the M4 that supports rockets I can't figure out how to select them using Select Secondary, then fire them.  I know they work because I saw a guy launce the rockets during an attack on a town.

Thanks for the help.

Offline TyFoo

• Copper Member
Re: Sucking in tanks COntinued
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 02:06:01 PM »
Guano,

1) I dont know how old your computer is. But some of the older computers when we switched to AH3 offset the sound 30 to 60 degrees. As an example, I would be looking in one direction where I hear the sound but see the tank left or right of my position 30-60 degrees from where I was looking. This may or may not be the case for you. It was for me, and before I upgraded computers I did upgrade my sound card which rectified this situation.

2) Again it would help to know the age of your computer. If you have your setting turned down so that you can run the game with an older video card, you will not be able to see the Enemy tanks at long distance. Otherwise, it could be guys in Panthers, Tigers etc that have better zoom capabilities than the standard M4s, Panzers, or T-34s etc.

3) The M4-75 is the tank that carries Rockets. You can select Rockets or alternate ordnance by using the "Backspace Button".
It helps if you are inside the tank looking at the Gun sight. It will tell you weather you have selected HE, SMK, AP, or Rockets on the bottom of the reticle.

Offline Guano

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 03:49:59 PM »
The system described below is less than 6 months old.  The manufacturer is Cyberpower .  I can run Microsoft Flight Sim 2020 pretty much maxed out with no problems, and that sim is resource hog, much more than in here

Processor   Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9600KF CPU @ 3.70GHz   3.70 GHz
Installed RAM   32.0 GB
Device ID   A04632B4-A600-420D-86F8-856947C83AC6
Product ID   00325-81841-72969-AAOEM
System type   64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch   No pen or touch input is available for this display

When I Hear another tank, the sound is not offset.  I've tested this by looking at moving friendlies. I think I suck at situational awareness and marksmanship.

Thanks for the info

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 10:45:45 PM »
Guano, not sure if you have done this or not,but here is something that could help. In Preferences , select Game Sounds, select Advanced, turn your engine sound down to where you barely hear it( for me that is 4% ) , and make sure the External Engine sound is at 100%. I run a Sound Blaster sound card, with my engine off, I can start hearing distant gv's at about 3.2k. With my engine running, I can hear another gv at about 840 yds.

Remember an M4 with rockets is going to stick out like a sore thumb with those tubes over the turret.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2021, 09:35:03 AM »
The level of “suckage” will get better with practice.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Guano

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 10:20:44 AM »
Thanks to all for the help. I appreciated Pumas literary response.

Guano

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2021, 11:20:33 AM »
The level of “suckage” will get better with practice.

I'm unsure as to the need for higher quality suckage...  :D
"So far the score is Gunzo 237 - Skyyr 0"
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2021, 12:05:01 PM »
I'm unsure as to the need for higher quality suckage...  :D

The idea was less “suckage” with practice, ya know, a positive outlook. :D :aok
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 12:17:15 PM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2021, 10:54:27 AM »
Sounds like your a step ahead of me;
I usually don’t see the incoming rounds lately.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2021, 02:14:22 AM »
Could you guys recommend a sound card, preferably under 50 bucks. Sandblaster has quite a few of them. This will be for a desktop. Thanks.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2021, 03:40:23 PM »
The ground game is quite different from the A2A in that the terrain, e.g. trees, vegetation, hills, valleys etc, factor into seeing the enemy tank.

On some spawns and bases I go exactly to where the enemy was shooting me from (switching sides atm) and still can’t figure out how they could see me from that position. Looking at the film hasn’t helped. I’m thinking it’s my video settings....

I’ve been trying to see if I can adjust settings to see enemy GVs better, but so far not much luck (except gamma when it’s dark). Any suggestions?
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2021, 03:50:25 PM »
Think my MSI gtx 660 ti is still up to doing the job in AH3?

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2021, 09:10:50 PM »
Think my MSI gtx 660 ti is still up to doing the job in AH3?

My guess would be yes. Userbench says it' 92% faster then the GT 1030 that I have used.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2021, 01:24:07 PM »
Guys with VR might be your problem, from listening to them they can see some things better than screen users. Your positioning might be a problem, your tracks may be visible. You want to be behind vegetation and make them come through it to find you. That requires knowing the map and spots that are good to hide in. Also some guys live in tanks, they know all the tricks. Look for Mothman in game, he'll help you out.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2021, 01:06:27 PM »
Thank you. I had thought about that a few times. Giving it a lot more consideration, I’d bet you’re right that players with VR are able to see things that those of us without VR can’t in GVs.

:salute