Author Topic: June 6, 1944.  (Read 632 times)

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
June 6, 1944.
« on: June 05, 2021, 04:05:36 PM »
My hats off to all the 20 somethings that June 5, 1944, In 1984, I invited my mom and Dad to take a cruise with my wife and I, from New York City to London England, on to Normandy France.  My father had told me his story of D day.  Like so many other men he had been in England training, his unit an infantry unit had been boarded on the transport June 3, moved out to clear space in the port for other ships loading men.  They anchored on the English side of the channel in storm tossed seas many men becoming seasick in the storms chop.  The 4th came and went, they all expected to go on the night of the 4th for an invasion on the morning of the 5th, the original date for the landings.  The evening of the 5th they heard the ships anchor being raised.  Life started early by 4AM morning of the 6th, still feeling seasick, he had coffee and some toast. The started loading into the landing craft a 5:AM he told me that was when he realized how weak he felt and had issues moving down the rope netting to get into the landing craft, several men had slipped and fallen to their death.  The landing craft circled and maneuvered in the 4 to 6 foot chop trying to get aligned and organized to establish their line of assault on the beach.  My Dad was in the second line of craft hitting Omaha beach, as they approached, world had already been passed back from the first assault boats not the drop the ramp but go over the sides.  Which is what he did.  He got into shallow water pretty fast, the undertow sweep out the sand under his feet, made it hard to stand and he first touched the beach crawling on his hands and knees.  Later when we walked Omaha beach together, he showed me where he came ashore and pointed up the beach beyond the shall wall to a place that on June 6, 1944 had taken him 5 hours to reach, most of it on his belly, we covered that distance in 6 minutes.

Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
Re: June 6, 1944.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 04:20:20 PM »
THAT is why they are the GREATEST Generation. God Bless your dad and his brothers in arms for all that they did, few will ever understand the sacrifice and courage, those young men had. To your Father,  :salute

To you for posting,  :rock
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 09:46:11 AM »
We owe that generation so much for our freedom.    :salute
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 11:23:43 AM »
 :salute

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 02:06:31 PM »
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2021, 03:55:52 PM »
 Traveler :salute to your father!

Thank you for sharing.

My grandfather, “Doc Tankersley” was stationed in England (I believe Balderton during Operation Overlord) with the AAF 439th Troop Carrier Group. He was one of the dentists in the Troop Carrier Group.

The most memorable thing I recall unfortunately (since I was one of his youngest grandchildren) is that he said the weeks after Overlord he wasn’t fixing many teeth...

He wrote about his memories from serving to the author of Into The Valley by Col. Charles H. Young and parts are included in that book.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 04:34:44 PM by RotBaron »
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline redcatcherb412

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2021, 04:09:53 PM »
My hats off to all the 20 somethings that June 5, 1944, In 1984, I invited my mom and Dad to take a cruise with my wife and I, from New York City to London England, on to Normandy France.  My father had told me his story of D day.  Like so many other men he had been in England training, his unit an infantry unit had been boarded on the transport June 3, moved out to clear space in the port for other ships loading men.  They anchored on the English side of the channel in storm tossed seas many men becoming seasick in the storms chop.  The 4th came and went, they all expected to go on the night of the 4th for an invasion on the morning of the 5th, the original date for the landings.  The evening of the 5th they heard the ships anchor being raised.  Life started early by 4AM morning of the 6th, still feeling seasick, he had coffee and some toast. The started loading into the landing craft a 5:AM he told me that was when he realized how weak he felt and had issues moving down the rope netting to get into the landing craft, several men had slipped and fallen to their death.  The landing craft circled and maneuvered in the 4 to 6 foot chop trying to get aligned and organized to establish their line of assault on the beach.  My Dad was in the second line of craft hitting Omaha beach, as they approached, world had already been passed back from the first assault boats not the drop the ramp but go over the sides.  Which is what he did.  He got into shallow water pretty fast, the undertow sweep out the sand under his feet, made it hard to stand and he first touched the beach crawling on his hands and knees.  Later when we walked Omaha beach together, he showed me where he came ashore and pointed up the beach beyond the shall wall to a place that on June 6, 1944 had taken him 5 hours to reach, most of it on his belly, we covered that distance in 6 minutes.

Your Dad proves what they were made of back then.

My adoptive Dad was a Combat Engineer whose unit was tasked to destroy the many invasion barriers on the beach approaches on Omaha that day.  He had 4 campaign stars on his European Campaign ribbon, one for Anzio and 1 for Normandy. He never told me what the other 2 campaigns were.

Going with your father to walk that beach had to have been a very memorable trip for the both of you.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 04:11:26 PM by redcatcherb412 »
Ground Pounders ...

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2021, 05:54:19 PM »
If D-Day hadn't have occurred on June 6 the big news story the day before, June 5 1944, the the Allies liberated Rome.

My father marched through Rome after liberating it.  D-Day was a huge day but let us not forget a great number of our Fathers, Grandfathers, and Uncles were fighting and dying in Africa, Europe and in the Pacific also on that day.

Lest we forget.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Wildin

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2021, 06:53:42 AM »
My father's last mission June 29, 1944. RIP 2Lt Ralph E. Quint.

http://www.303rdbg.com/missionreports/194.pdf