Author Topic: Discovery Flight  (Read 1859 times)

Offline svaalbar

• Nickel Member
Re: Discovery Flight
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2021, 10:07:19 PM »
This is what I'm currently looking at. Was expecting a steeper price!

https://www.rainierflightservice.com/discovery-flight

Anyone have any personalized tips/info in the NW USA for good schools? Around the Seattle area preferably. I'll probably book it in early July if they have slots open, who knows with COVID stuff.

Now I just have to look at the weather for the Seattle area and try to get a good day with nice skies. Preferably not too turbulent either... I'd probably hurl!

"All fighter pilots were a little crazy, but mostly the nicest guys you'd ever meet." The Biography of a Rabbit, by Roy Benson Jr - https://gutenberg.org/files/7190/7190-h/7190-h.htm

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaKxx5UhMZ0REI8E2FGfGag

Offline jigsaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2021, 01:19:09 AM »
Now I just have to look at the weather for the Seattle area and try to get a good day with nice skies. Preferably not too turbulent either... I'd probably hurl!

If you're worried about getting bounced around, try to book something early in the day. Air is generally smoother in the morning. 

Offline TyFoo

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2021, 01:31:44 AM »
In Seattle there are several schools to choose from.

Look around Puyallup, Kent, and the Auburn area too. Or Snohomish up north. There are smaller schools at the smaller airports.

One key in learning to fly is to find a school that provides an atmosphere that keeps your interest. Sometimes its the mom & pop flight schools and sometimes its the bigger factory schools.

Also ask some questions such as do they teach under Part 61 or Part 141. You will want to avoid Part 141 unless you plan on a career change. They will tell you Part 141 can be cheaper, but as it has been said before the national average is in the mid 60 hour range, so Part 141 isn’t going to help you if you can’t devote the time.

Try a couple of Schools around Seattle such as Rainier, or All ATP, Galvin etc. and then take a Discovery flight at one of the mom and pop outfits and see which suits your personality, and comfort level.

If you are looking for nice Discovery Flight then schedule one in the morning 8,9, 10ish before the sun starts heating things up.

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2021, 08:40:08 AM »
Most know that I am a retired Air Line pilot so I'd like to offer a suggestion.

I got my PPL in 1964 and at that time, recreational flying was well within the financial reach of anyone with a decent job. Whatever has driven the cost to current levels, it's ridiculous and restrictive. Safe flying demands currency and if price prevents regular flying to keep current, then you should stay on the ground.

I recommend that you consider some of the soaring clubs. They are prevalent in the Pacific Northwest and the cost of learning to fly a glider is a fraction of the cost of powered flight. It also looks like a lot more fun than the style f flying a Cessna can do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkhos3OLbZk
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2021, 12:40:18 PM »
Don't start flying thinking that you must get your PPL. Just start taking lessons. The lessons are just as much fun, possibly more, then after your PPL.

So if you get your PPL or not the adventure starts at day one.
If you want to come to DFW I would be happy to give you an introduction flight.

HiTech

Offline svaalbar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2021, 09:14:40 PM »
Don't start flying thinking that you must get your PPL. Just start taking lessons. The lessons are just as much fun, possibly more, then after your PPL.

So if you get your PPL or not the adventure starts at day one.

HiTech

Wait really? Are you serious?!? I can fly down like June18th or whenever you are free after that. Any time works... maybe just not at night :lol

I will buy you many as many "bribes" as Cragganmores in your signature, as long as it is all under $1000 :) Or I will pay you very generously for your time.

I re read this multiple times, closed my browser, opened the thread again, and re-read it again. You aren't yanking my chain are ya?

Do I need to do any paperwork or eye vision stuff? I think I have 20/20 vision, I've been very fortunate in that aspect my entire life. AKA I don't wear contacts or glasses and have never had the need for them. What kind of plane? I'd like to study it with like a manual I can find online so I can have a super novice grasp on some stuff. Sort of like no  one has taught me the Spitfire cockpit, except me watching the dials and stuff in game and looking at other videos.

I feel giddy like a kid now! I can PM you my weight, height, age, etc, or whatever else you need.

Unless this is just unreal and I'm having a fever dream...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 09:19:06 PM by svaalbar »
"All fighter pilots were a little crazy, but mostly the nicest guys you'd ever meet." The Biography of a Rabbit, by Roy Benson Jr - https://gutenberg.org/files/7190/7190-h/7190-h.htm

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaKxx5UhMZ0REI8E2FGfGag

Online Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2021, 09:21:06 PM »

And here I was, thinking that all the long pandemic grocery store lines were a thing of the past...

- oldman

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2021, 12:54:41 PM »
Wait really? Are you serious?!? I can fly down like June18th or whenever you are free after that. Any time works... maybe just not at night :lol

I will buy you many as many "bribes" as Cragganmores in your signature, as long as it is all under $1000 :) Or I will pay you very generously for your time.

I re read this multiple times, closed my browser, opened the thread again, and re-read it again. You aren't yanking my chain are ya?

Do I need to do any paperwork or eye vision stuff? I think I have 20/20 vision, I've been very fortunate in that aspect my entire life. AKA I don't wear contacts or glasses and have never had the need for them. What kind of plane? I'd like to study it with like a manual I can find online so I can have a super novice grasp on some stuff. Sort of like no  one has taught me the Spitfire cockpit, except me watching the dials and stuff in game and looking at other videos.

I feel giddy like a kid now! I can PM you my weight, height, age, etc, or whatever else you need.

Unless this is just unreal and I'm having a fever dream...

Good job on taking the first step. There are some good outfits over in Pyolup and Olympia. 40 hours is damn near impossible nowadays unless you’re learning something in 50 years old in the middle of Iowa. Training time also scales linearly with Aircraft complexity, and exponentially with cost.

I work almost exclusively with TBM 700 and Cirrus drivers doing primary, instrument and recurrent in the US, Europe and Far East, and the amount of money it costs on those just to operate the aircraft is eye watering. It’s not unusual to be $600 per hour for a SR 22 and &1800 per day for the guy on the right, especially up at Boeing Field at the Flight Academy.

Just know that once you go down this road you will be liberating yourself of a substantial portion of your disposable income. It’s a great ride.

www.cirrusinstructor.net/flight-training

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Peanut1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2021, 11:39:48 PM »

Good job on taking the first step. There are some good outfits over in Pyolup and Olympia. 40 hours is damn near impossible nowadays unless you’re learning something in 50 years old in the middle of Iowa. Training time also scales linearly with Aircraft complexity, and exponentially with cost.

I work almost exclusively with TBM 700 and Cirrus drivers doing primary, instrument and recurrent in the US, Europe and Far East, and the amount of money it costs on those just to operate the aircraft is eye watering. It’s not unusual to be $600 per hour for a SR 22 and &1800 per day for the guy on the right, especially up at Boeing Field at the Flight Academy.

Just know that once you go down this road you will be liberating yourself of a substantial portion of your disposable income. It’s a great ride.

www.cirrusinstructor.net/flight-training
you nailed it. I completed my ppl in just over 60 hard worked hours over the period of about 3 months. Have not flown since the day I passed my practical. Over a year ago....  :frown: