Author Topic: HP Reverb 2 losing video :(  (Read 905 times)

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
HP Reverb 2 losing video :(
« on: June 07, 2021, 01:38:54 PM »
at random points while in the game everything goes black. Looking down my nose i can see that screen display is still on in VR mode ( vertical rect ) so VR is still detected. Sounds are still on.
When i remove headset - game goes to full screen ( no vr headset detected ) and put it back in, in 4 out of 5 cases screen returns to normal.

Search of the internets found that similar bug exists on this headset when volume is too high ( above 90% ) however i've been running game at 50% volume and problem still occurs.

Anyone had anything similar ?

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
Re: HP Reverb 2 losing video :(
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 02:30:57 PM »
How's your plug connection at the visor?  Might be loose.  You might also check your cord by wearing the headset and flexing the cord a little.  If you still have this issue, you could also check another VR program and see if it is just AH related.  A good free program to try is "Aircar" available for free on Steam.

Hope this helps

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 10:15:14 AM »
Following this thread with interest.

I have a out-of-warranty G1 that died in a similar fashion.   Hoping that HP made reliability improvements with the G2.

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 02:16:18 PM »
I forgot to mention that HP did release a firmware update to the G2 that fixes that volume problem you refer to.

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 04:34:30 PM »
i applied the fix, problem still occurs on and off. I'm starting to think my cable is wearing down or something.
Video on monitor is still in VR mode ( vertical arrangement ) while screens are blank. Take it off, put it back on, usually fixes it, but not always. Weird.

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2021, 04:54:31 PM »
it was a cable. HP replaced it and problem went away.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 06:45:21 PM »
Thanks for the update, ski.  Glad its fixed!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2021, 07:19:50 AM »
My vive pro hdmi cable also bit the dust after about 18 months.

They are hard to find and not cheap

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2021, 12:22:07 AM »
Having similar issues with the G2. Screen goes all blue or black intermittently.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2021, 07:32:12 AM »
Sorry to hear it, atlau.  Is your unit still under warranty?   First step in debugging the situation seems to be testing with a new cable.

Please keep us posted about your progress in figuring this out.   With the G2's price now down to $450, its still a tempting offer.

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2021, 01:47:42 PM »
So I actually got a new cable last week (for a separate issue) and this is happening with the new cable. However inhave a feeling its not the cable causing these problems...

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2021, 01:51:47 PM »
I went through the same issue with my Reverb - a first gen issue.  That sent a new cable, didn't solve it - they replaced the unit under warranty, and that lasted about a year and then it broke again.  Now its out of warranty, and I can't get to hp support because its out of warranty.  I gave up and bought a Quest 2 with a link cable. 

I actually think the problem might be inside the unit, where the short cable connects to the board.  But I have no way to test that.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2021, 06:58:52 AM »
Cable is probably a weak point in these head sets...
Given I only use mine in the seated position for AH only, standing with movement probably tears down the cable and it's connection points even that much faster...

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2021, 09:31:15 AM »
I never played anything but flight sims with the hp Reverb, so always sit-down use.  But maybe with flight sims there is more head turning, right-left, up-down than other situations.

Unfortunate for hp, must be either a design or component-quality issue.   Out-of-warranty support seems to be non-existent.