Author Topic: Intermittent Black Screen  (Read 2237 times)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
Intermittent Black Screen
« on: June 17, 2021, 04:29:54 PM »
Yesterday, while GVing with TrackIR, my monitor would flash a black screen and then back to normal after a second or so.  There was no perceived change in frame rate after the occurrence.  I’ve notice while flying with Rift, a similar black screen freeze occurs but, not with the frequency as TrackIR.  Windows 10 PC.  Yesterday was the first time it happened with TrackIR.  Any ideas what’s going on? 

Thanks!

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Intermittent Black Screen
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 04:54:51 PM »
Your graphics card might be over heating or about to take the big dump.

Open your box and make sure the fan on the card is running and that the fins and blades are clear of junk.

Thats where I would start.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 05:00:36 PM »
Your graphics card might be over heating or about to take the big dump.

Open your box and make sure the fan on the card is running and that the fins and blades are clear of junk.

Thats where I would start.

Thanks!  That was my first thought.  Hopefully, the graphics card isn’t headed out.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 06:21:48 PM »
Just started the PC. 

All of the fans are operating normally (one on the motherboard, one rear case, and two front case). The EVGA 1070 fans were motionless when on the desk top. When I went into AH, both 1070 fans spun up and appeared to operate normally.  There’s a light coat of dust (hey, it’s Arizona) on the graphics card.  There’s nothing plugging the vents on top of the 1070. 

Is there a way to diagnose the graphic card and see if it’s on the way out?

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 08:37:24 PM »
Update:  Plugged in an external fan to blow around the back of the case and under the computer desk.  Spent an hour plus with TrackIR similar to yesterday.  Not a single black screen flash.  Appears it’s a heat issue under the desk.  Yesterday about the same time, it was 117 outside.  Today, only 114. 

Any suggestions for temperature monitoring programs?

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2021, 01:44:24 AM »
There's several options available for monitoring temperature, one of these might suit your needs: https://techguided.com/best-cpu-temperature-monitor-software-windows/. For me the biggest issue with such monitors is that they don't show through games as that's when most problems occur. If you choose one with a log feature, that might help some.

Another tool for both monitoring and fighting the video card heat is MSI Afterburner. It works with all Nvidia cards and it's free. With it you can change the graphics fan profile to blow harder at a lower temperature - often they're set to keep silent rather than cool effectively.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline SNO

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2021, 06:19:03 AM »
Nvidia has a monitoring program that you can set the fan profiles for the video card FYI
☩Schnee☩
Jagdgeschwader 11

Das-Beste-kommt-erst-noch

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2021, 09:18:30 AM »
Thanks gents!  I’ll look into those. :salute

………and it’s forecast only to 113 today!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 09:28:30 AM by Puma44 »

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2021, 09:42:19 AM »
Flying straight and level lowers the temps on your video card especially on Monday nights :)

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline mikeWe9a

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2021, 10:04:49 AM »
Flying straight and level lowers the temps on your video card especially on Monday nights :)

Eagler
Also only fly with engine power set at about 75% or so.  Cooler and more efficient...

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2021, 10:07:35 AM »
Also only fly with engine power set at about 75% or so.  Cooler and more efficient...

….and then there’s the option of sitting in the tower and enjoying the airconditioning.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2021, 10:09:18 AM »

Eagler

I figured someone would come up with that idea.  But, it wouldn’t be near as much fun as getting in the phone booth with you and your 109.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2021, 08:34:05 PM »
I down loaded the MSI Afterburner and have poked around with it a bit.  Any lessons learned from you that have used it?  I don’t see a need to over clock.  Interested in settings to keep the temps down and extend life span of the 1070.  Looks straight forward but, I admittedly don’t know what I don’t know.  :salute

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2021, 01:46:28 AM »
Overclocking usually increases temperatures so I'd leave that alone. Underclocking may stabilize things but also with that I'd be cautious as you can change the balance to something less desirable. Your decision to keep the clocks as is sounds like a clever choice.

What I've done with Afterburner to fix issues is simply to redraw the fan curve so that the fans start rotating and accelerating and reaching top speed at lower temperatures than default. Simplified it's about moving the original curve a notch up left. Then I set that profile and the entire program to start automatically in the background so you don't forget to switch it on before starting a game.

There's plenty of tutorials about it, here's one: https://powersupplypc.com/how-to-use-msi-afterburner/.

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2021, 03:42:36 AM »
Might not be a "thing", BUTTTTTTTTTTT....As i understand it...DX9 works better, for NON-VR? Are you starting AH with DX11, then, using TIR?   I had those "Black Screen Flickers" some months ago.  Other than the fact, these occurrences happened at WRONG TIME(like blacking out from PW, on Final Approach lol), it wasnt much of an issue. Wish I had noted these issues. Would be of use! Recently I noticed an issue with my Connection to Head Set.  As in where the cable plugged in? I have since, pulled a bunch of the cable, as to cause a "No Tug" when craning my neck? Looks funky...but I secured the Cable Slack with Twist-Ties!     I blame Sis  :x    HEAT could be an issue as you noted!

PS: Ignore The Monster Eagler!!!! "Fly straight and level"... :rofl  Like HAIL NAH....he doesnt need us to Handi-Cap for him  :rofl   I rebuke you Eagler...Get thee behind me Satan.. er eh In Front of me Satan! Wait....Now I am confused? Is Eagler the bad guy...or Sis, with her spawn of Satan/ULblizz's instinctual traits? Eh...LOVE THEM BOTH, you included...so no issue :aok  Don your "poopie Suit" Sir!   My Smoke Signal Internet, is up and running again!!!!  :devil  DAMN I MISSED YOU FELLERS!!! :rock
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 04:01:14 AM by 1stpar3 »
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain