Author Topic: Oops  (Read 746 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Oops
« on: June 27, 2021, 02:03:11 PM »
Not enough coffee. Wrong forum.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 04:21:09 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
Re: Flak is OP
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 04:21:59 PM »
OP, as in overpowered?

From what we have in the game on land, the 88mm, that video would seem to (me) indicate that it’s underpowered, since there isn’t any way for us to compute bombers course and adjust trajectory.

Used to be most bombing runs were higher alt, not having to worry about 37mm, Whirble, Ostwind or M16. I see a lot of bombers at lower alts in this past year, but still high enough for only the 88 to be effective flak.

If bombers did those evasive maneuvers described in the video I wonder if the 88mm masters would have as much success.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 04:52:20 PM by RotBaron »
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 04:33:57 PM »
OP, as in overpowered?

From what we have in the game on land, the 88mm, that video would seem to (me) indicate that it’s underpowered, since there isn’t any way for us to compute bomber trajectory.

Used to be most bombing runs were higher alt, not having to worry about 37mm, Whirble, Ostwind or M16. I see a lot of bombers at lower alts in this past year, but still high enough for only the 88 to be effective flak.

If bombers did those evasive maneuvers described in the video I wonder if the 88mm masters would have as much success.

I was just joking.

It would be interesting to know if HTC tried to implement a predictive model that too took altitude travel time into account.  It definitely feels predictive, but I can't tell if it's taking travel time to alt in account or just faking that.

For instance, I can't tell if the auto-flak gets less concentrated and less accurate at higher alt.  I'm not saying it doesn't.  It's just hard for me to tell.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 04:40:28 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Haskell

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 05:15:36 PM »
I was just joking.

It would be interesting to know if HTC tried to implement a predictive model that too took altitude travel time into account.  It definitely feels predictive, but I can't tell if it's taking travel time to alt in account or just faking that.

For instance, I can't tell if the auto-flak gets less concentrated and less accurate at higher alt.  I'm not saying it doesn't.  It's just hard for me to tell.

i think its just a box around your aircraft that is randomly filled with points, if your aircraft is too close to a point it gets "hit".

the box gets bigger depending on how fast you are going, your distance from the gun source, how much you are maneuvering etc.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2021, 11:00:32 AM »
i think its just a box around your aircraft that is randomly filled with points, if your aircraft is too close to a point it gets "hit".

the box gets bigger depending on how fast you are going, your distance from the gun source, how much you are maneuvering etc.

That's close to what I assumed.  I wouldn't think the box size would change based on maneuvering or speed.  The guns should be fed a aim point and all fire.

I would expect dispersion should decrease the density of the box with LOS distance.  (Don't know if it does.)
I would expect aim lead to increase with LOS distance, so it should be less dense and easier to avoid with course change at higher alt. (Don't know if it does.)