Author Topic: to whom it may concern { HiTech } of course  (Read 1112 times)

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
to whom it may concern { HiTech } of course
« on: June 18, 2021, 06:36:33 PM »
Dear Sir-back when i 1st joined Aces High in 08/ or 09 or 2010 tanks had manual transmissions. HTC changed them to automatic. i did a little lite quick research an hour ago and found that in WWII most if not all tanks german and american tanks had manual transmissions, now i was told along time ago that this fine and outstanding game, planes and vehicles are modeled as close to the real thing as possible, now i know the fighter jocks don't care about tanks and consider them an intrusion to the game. i was just wondering would wish if we can get manual transmission back in our tanks please-esp. with all the new terrains the maps have would make it a little easier to climb hills and mountains-it won't affect the speed of the tank, 25 mph is still 25 mph/ i'm not gonna look for the conversion for mph to km.
please sir just think about it. seems to me it's about time foe a change.  :salute
To Be Prepared for War Is The Most Effectual Means Of Preserving Peace (George Washington)

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: to whom it may concern { HiTech } of course
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 07:28:04 PM »
The shifting was done from the drivers seat. To save time on adding new vehicles they did away with the interior artwork, including the drivers seat and so by necessity added an "automatic" transmission. The whole thing was so they could add more vehicles faster. Adding all that art work back in would take for ever.

Another option would be to add the "shifting" from say the gunners position which would pull the players off the top of the turret more and make them switch position each time they needed to shift.

But is it worth the trouble to add it back in?  Tanks still climb hills with the automatic transmission, and running up them in reverse still works better on the sharper inclines. What would be the point "just to shift" again?

Offline 800nate800

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 10:38:24 AM »
The shifting was done from the drivers seat. To save time on adding new vehicles they did away with the interior artwork, including the drivers seat and so by necessity added an "automatic" transmission. The whole thing was so they could add more vehicles faster. Adding all that art work back in would take for ever.

Another option would be to add the "shifting" from say the gunners position which would pull the players off the top of the turret more and make them switch position each time they needed to shift.

But is it worth the trouble to add it back in?  Tanks still climb hills with the automatic transmission, and running up them in reverse still works better on the sharper inclines. What would be the point "just to shift" again?
how lame, bring back the insides and manny trannys
former squeaker, but you wont 1v1 about it
Most my friends are banned......
Kommando Nowotny

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 04:58:31 PM »

I read that some time ago as well. Elimination of certain artwork in the vehicle makes it less expensive to bring new GV's into the arena. The Auto transmission is pretty simple for those that just use a mouse and keyboard.

+1

.......if it is possible to have manual transmissions again,  that would be great. Maybe we won't have to backup steep hills when in a T-34/85  anymore.  :D

:salute
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 05:22:33 PM »
don't understand the difference.  in both cases you have to press a key to get full acceleration. unless you go up a hill. before you had to press a key to slow down, now you don't but still have to press a key again to speed up. you can still press a key to slow down if you prefer.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 05:39:31 PM »
The old manual transmission wasn't really more realistic all the time.

For example, when a remote port or GV base suddenly got raided by an airborne mission, my reaction was not to up an Ostwind or (later) Wirbel, but to roll a Tiger out of the VH before it went down. With the old transmission, it was so incredibly  nimble that I was able to dodge almost all bombs thrown at me, while the AA vehicles got easily strafed down. Very often that bought us enough time for friendly air cover to reach that port. I got over 500 plane 'kills' in the Tiger by doing this, basically all of them just proxies face planting next to my tank.

This entirely unrealistic thing stopped with the removal of manual transmission and driver's position, the Tiger could no longer bomb waltz that way.
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2021, 03:58:12 AM »
The old manual transmission wasn't really more realistic all the time.

For example, when a remote port or GV base suddenly got raided by an airborne mission, my reaction was not to up an Ostwind or (later) Wirbel, but to roll a Tiger out of the VH before it went down. With the old transmission, it was so incredibly  nimble that I was able to dodge almost all bombs thrown at me, while the AA vehicles got easily strafed down. Very often that bought us enough time for friendly air cover to reach that port. I got over 500 plane 'kills' in the Tiger by doing this, basically all of them just proxies face planting next to my tank.

This entirely unrealistic thing stopped with the removal of manual transmission and driver's position, the Tiger could no longer bomb waltz that way.

👍
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline nasty

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2021, 03:37:01 PM »

Those were the days...As much as I miss the old interiors and the old system of tanking...the new way is easier.
The M1 Garand is the greatest battle implement ever divised.
-General George S Patton JR