Author Topic: Diagnoes GPU or PSU or ?  (Read 783 times)

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
Diagnoes GPU or PSU or ?
« on: June 20, 2021, 12:49:10 PM »
In game at a few various times, screen will display little bursts light patterns on terrain when in zoomed view. Today while in hanger glitch light burst began and screen froze briefly.
   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      System Manufacturer: MSI
             System Model: MS-7977
                     BIOS: 1.I0 (type: UEFI)
                Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
                   Memory: 16384MB RAM
      Available OS Memory: 16344MB RAM
                Page File: 5601MB used, 13174MB available
              Windows Dir: C:\Windows
          DirectX Version: DirectX 12
   NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
  thermaltake smart m850w power supply(how old you say?)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Diagnoes GPU or PSU or ?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 12:52:17 PM »
You may want to try cooling down your video card a little more efficiently. Try MSI Afterburner, among other not necessarily so usual things it also allows for creating a more active cooling profile for the GPU fans.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 01:23:47 PM »
Cooling, NH-D15 on chip and large case 3 large fans 1 medium. MSI software to test card?

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 02:13:17 PM »
Yepp. There's several AH'ers who've fixed an Nvidia card by increasing the cooling power with Afterburner. Simply redraw the curve to start at a lower temperature and reach the max earlier. Make that the default profile and start Afterburner before gaming. If the noise of the fans doesn't disturb you, there's an option to make Afterburner start automatically in the background at boot. That way you won't forget to put it on.

Another place to improve cooling is your motherboard. MSI seems to prefer silence to stability so if your UEFI BIOS allows for adjusting the fan thresholds, definitely do that.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 04:18:54 PM »
if you hear static thru your speakers, could be your power supply.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 03:58:08 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to respond. No static through speakers, though problem occurred again and an error log posted. Source - Display, Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered. I had turned on the XMP a few months prior on the motherboard to boost RAM, so I ticked it off and will see if makes an effect.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 01:43:33 AM »
If turning off XMP doesn't do the trick, wiping your Nvidia drivers with DDU and reinstalling the previous driver might do the trick.

I had a similar issue with the GTX970 that had perfectly served a fellow until he got a beefier one. On my rig it stopped responding and recovered with every new program that started... The only cure was to use drivers made before the launch of the GTX10## series. Later the card found a new home and worked flawlessly with the latest drivers until the next summer when it started to suffer from heat. And that was cured by MSI Afterburner, making the cooling profile more efficient.

Kotisivuni

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 04:53:36 PM »
Thanks again, XMP disabled did not resolve issue. Event log display driver will be next to try.

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2021, 04:41:53 PM »
Bizman, the Afterburner software seems to be the fix. I had used Driver Display Uninstaller, then reinstalled latest Nvidia driver which didn't resolve display problem. Installed MSI Afterburner utility, and dialed factory overclock of card back.
 Thanks guncrasher and Bizman for the response's.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2021, 02:21:45 AM »
Glad you got it sorted  :aok

Kotisivuni

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2021, 12:35:15 PM »
I use the MSI software on my MSI gpu. It is nice to have.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)