Author Topic: Idea about changing starting conditions after MA map reset, to facilitate fights  (Read 1481 times)

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
It's great in theory. And I think Atlau makes a great point. However I don't think much would change as base distance and map size would still effect most of the fights.

Plus Hitech is right about the Hq and strats.

worth a crack I reckon... I logged on last night to a map that had change 4 hours prior... 9 players 153 bases ..only action was a couple of Gvers taking all the gv bases and Not worth even upping as I die before i can even see these two ... oh there were bombers floating about prepping for the morning crews... ened up watching Youtube for an hour till some real base take attempts were happening

This is the real issue. IMO.

The goal should be to condense action. Not give players more of a chance to spread out.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 12:46:48 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
It's great in theory. And I think Atlau makes a great point. However I don't think much would change as base distance and map size would still effect most of the fights.

Plus Hitech is right about the Hq and strats.

This is the real issue. IMO.

The goal should be to condense action. Not give players more of a chance to spread out.

Yes, I can see HQ and Strats could be vulnerable, especially to nearby VBases with spawns directly to the strats.

No doubt I'm an odd duck, but for me, condensed action is not what I look for.  I'd much rather log in and find a map with multiple small groups engaged in action across the map - maybe a ground assault in one area, a naval attack in another, a fighter sweep or bombing mission forming in a third, etc.   I like the ability to chose to go where I might be needed.  Especially I like small fighter v fighter engagements - 2-4 vs 2-4, rather than being an area saturated with planes and new planes constantly arriving overhead while you're committed to a fight.   I'll fly with the horde if I don't see alternatives, but I'd much rather be a part of smaller engagements.   Sometimes I'll strap a bomb to a P-39 and head to a VBase on my own, just to see if I can stir something up.   My most memorable moments have been in small engagements.   

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
My most memorable moments have been in small engagements.

This!

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
I think it could be an interesting experiment.. but if he did it can you imagine the whining?

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
True, you can't please all of the people all of the time.   There was some whining when Hitech changed the clipboard map radar coverage display to the cleaner look of the shaded circles below, from the mass of overlaid colored rings shown at right:

<shrug>. Not every idea is sound, so it's good to kick them around here.   Hitech pointed out the vulnerability of HQ/Strats to random base assignments in the map's initial state.   If one country is initially disadvantage in this way, say by having one or two enemy bases near its Strats at the start of the map, it could be crippled very early on. 

It depends on what your goals are, also.  My goal was a change to promote more fights across the map, but Violator pointed out his goal would be to concentrate the action in one area of the map.  So a change like this this wouldn't fit well  for his style of play.

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
Just tossing this out there I would like to see some random manned guns at the strats as another form of defense for strats.
Tour 70 2005 to present

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
Just tossing this out there I would like to see some random manned guns at the strats as another form of defense for strats.

+1
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76