Author Topic: An early war Allied Bomber that isn't the B-25 or Boston III  (Read 1766 times)

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Would be nice to have an Allied Bomber that :

- Served in Allied forces before 1942
- Has the ability to carry Torpedoes

There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: An early war Allied Bomber that isn't the B-25 or Boston III
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 09:39:35 AM »
The British  Swordfish

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 09:49:21 AM »
The British  Swordfish

Eagler

While there is no wrong answer, I was hoping it could fill more roles than the Swordfish.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 10:39:39 AM »
Bristol Beaufighter was more of a heavy fighter than a bomber, but some versions could carry bombs or a torpedo, and was used by the Allies prior to 1942.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Beaufighter

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2021, 11:03:34 AM »
Peace on Earth and Good Will Towards Men would be nice too.

Similar odds. ;)

But I salute your hopefulness.  :salute
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2021, 12:49:46 PM »
Bristol Beaufighter was more of a heavy fighter than a bomber, but some versions could carry bombs or a torpedo, and was used by the Allies prior to 1942.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Beaufighter

I was thinking Bristol Beaufort - although both would be ok.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2021, 10:28:53 PM »
Would be nice.

I’m starting to have my doubts we’re going to see much if anything new. It appears to be a one man show. However, maybe after Vulkan we wil...

Maybe players that devote so much time to skins, could inquire about helping with the wishlist instead of skins.
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Peanut1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2021, 05:20:48 AM »

Maybe players that devote so much time to skins, could inquire about helping with the wishlist instead of skins.
  Players have tried, captain. Wants to sink this ship at the helm, alone.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2021, 09:18:43 AM »
Would be nice.

I’m starting to have my doubts we’re going to see much if anything new. It appears to be a one man show. However, maybe after Vulkan we wil...

If i had the knowledge on making 3D models for gaming I'd have a different job. Skins are a different skill set.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2021, 09:46:28 AM »
  Players have tried, captain. Wants to sink this ship at the helm, alone.

I'm not sure that is a fair statement.

I don't always agree with Hitech on every issue, but in my experience, he will accept outside help where is is feasible and where it won't cost him more effort than it will save him.

He allows player made sounds.
He allows player made skins.
He allows player made terrains.
He allows player made AI missions.
He allows player run Special Events.

Player made aircraft models would probably be a whole other level of difficulty.

First that level of 3-d modeling is hard.  It would be a rare skillset.  Not every skinner or map maker is going to jump in a be able to be productive.
Models probably have deep couplings to the control and damage logic. 
There could be security concerns with letting players that deep into the product.
HTC isn't big on detailed documentation, so just communicating the requirements could be a huge effort for the rare individuals that could actually help.

I believe HTC used a specific model format from a commercial simulation package.  (The name escapes me at the moment.) It's more than just the mesh.  It's the whole sub-object component model and hierarchy.  It's an expensive, licensed product. 

I was just joking with Nefarious.  I'm not against adding any aircraft.  I'm sure that he and the heroes on the Scenario Team would make great use out of any aircraft they ask for. 

But I always have said that of all the things we can ask to be added or changed, new aircraft probably represent one of the worst bang for the buck examples.  We already have quite a few  aircraft in the hangar and most are never flown.  Adding one more is a lot of work and  isn't going to add much.  It might get used in a scenario occasionally.  It will get flown a couple of times when it first comes out.  Then it will sit in the hangar and collect dust with the others.

But a Dornier Do 17 would be nice too. Jus sayin. ;)

$0.02.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2021, 10:06:56 AM »

One of 2 German aircraft I'd love to fly in aces high, all variants. The other is the He 219 Uhu, but that would be the last plane I'd expect to ever see in game. I'd love to see radar equipped aircraft in game to get the awacs like radar we have now, taking it away from all the others. Even give perk points for aircraft spotted to those players.

But back to Nefarious post I'd love to see more British attack aircraft and bombers, under represented.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2021, 11:07:11 AM »
But I always have said that of all the things we can ask to be added or changed, new aircraft probably represent one of the worst bang for the buck examples.  We already have quite a few  aircraft in the hangar and most are never flown.  Adding one more is a lot of work and  isn't going to add much.  It might get used in a scenario occasionally.  It will get flown a couple of times when it first comes out.  Then it will sit in the hangar and collect dust with the others.

Agreed.

- oldman

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2021, 04:18:48 PM »

‘But I always have said that of all the things we can ask to be added or changed, new aircraft probably represent one of the worst bang for the buck examples.  We already have quite a few  aircraft in the hangar and most are never flown.  Adding one more is a lot of work and  isn't going to add much.  It might get used in a scenario occasionally.  It will get flown a couple of times when it first comes out.  Then it will sit in the hangar and collect dust with the others.

$0.02.’

I don’t think that would be the case though with adding a late war fighter like the J2M (J2M early models would definitely be used in scenarios/FSO).

When the Yaks were implemented they filled the skies, all of the variants, not just the Yak 3. I believe players logged in more frequently and stayed longer learning to become proficient in the Yaks (same goes for the German tank destroyers).

A new toy is, a new toy and is always going to bring attraction.

A plane/GV is a new toy, a map is too. A skin not so much...

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2021, 05:02:55 PM »
A new toy is, a new toy and is always going to bring attraction.

A plane/GV is a new toy, a map is too. A skin not so much...

Let me tighten up my argument.

The current list of planes is quite extensive.  Most are flown rarely after the first 6 months they have been released.

Another plane isn't going to materially contribute to changing HTC's financial trajectory, IMHO.   
It's not going to have a large effect on reversing the long decline in numbers, or keep HTC solvent.
Of the thousands of players who downloaded the client during the Steam release, I doubt any of them would have signed up for a subscription if AH just had a J2M.  Nor was the lack of a J2M a deciding factor in them passing on a subscription.  (Not picking on you, just insert any variant or lesser known plane not already in the hangar.)

Don't take that to mean I'm against the idea of new planes.  If the cost and effort were trivial, I'd be all for it.
If the cost and effort were high, but the payoff could reverse the decline in the game, then I'd call it a good investment.
If the plane was so desired by the simulation market that hundreds could be enticed into downloading and playing AH, I'd say roll the dice.

To me, from a business investment sense, the cost and effort to add a new aircraft seems mismatched with the likely benefit from a revenue point of view.  I don't see another plane at this point putting 500 players back in the MA.

If development resources and capital are scarce, which I assume they are, then there are probably other things that could be done that would have more impact on profit.

I could be wrong.  If you end up getting the planes you want, I'll be happy for you.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 07:34:07 PM by CptTrips »

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2021, 06:57:27 PM »
F2M?

J2M. It’s been on the wishlist since the beginning of the BBS. It’s a popular plane in WT.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_J2M