Author Topic: Cloud Type Killing FPS  (Read 760 times)

Offline Rocco

• Copper Member
Cloud Type Killing FPS
« on: July 16, 2021, 12:57:56 AM »
So This issue of unplayable framerates in FSO and scenarios came up the beginning of the year, previous post https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,402601.0.html. I pulled my hair out for a few months trying to figure it out then it just disappeared. Well last Friday during FSO terrible framerates came back.

I set up an offline cloud test and found '10 Cumulus Mediocris' is the culprit. Using any other cloud type FPS was between 50-90 depending on type and where I was in relation (flying inside them usually gave me worst FPS) but all were playable. #10 dropped it to 0-3FPS if I looked in certain directions, just like during FSO. I've already asked the FSO CM if he can avoid this cloud type. Just wondering if anyone has had similar issues and knows a fix?

I tested using a small map I built a couple years ago. In ahclds I created a single front that covered most of the map, selected the first cloud type on the list, saved weather, opened ahedit and hit build. Then I launched the map in offline practice and took a Spit XVI to fly around the clouds, then closed AH and repeated with the next cloud type on the list. I used fpsVR to check my FPS and GPU/CPU usage. All in game graphics settings were turned down/off except for aircraft skins. Only change between tests was the cloud type.

my system :
HP Reverb G2
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
32GB Ram

TL;DR '10 Cumulus Mediocris' cloud type destroyed my FPS in FSO last Friday. Anyone else notice issues?
Ingame : AKRocco

Arabian Knights

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Cloud Type Killing FPS
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 12:48:53 PM »
Just out of curiosity: Are you using drivers you've downloaded from AMD or are they provided by Windows?

Other than that, how often do you give your computer a fresh boot? Like by keeping the Shift button down while clicking Shutdown?

If neither of those doesn't change your test results it really can be something in the cloud.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Rocco

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 12:16:10 AM »
I'm using the drivers right from AMD, and the Radeon software to manage the GPU settings. I make sure to remove the old version of the driver when I update, ran into issues before with not doing that.

I don't do that complete shutdown that often, usually just the plain start-shutdown. I'll give that a try and retest, thanks for the suggestion!

The FSO cm last week was able to use a different weather file than he did the week before and this issue didn't come up.

Arabian Knights

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 10:26:12 AM »
Are you running 4k perchance?

Offline Rocco

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 01:51:23 PM »
Are you running 4k perchance?

I have a reverb G2 which is 2160x2160 per eye, close to 4k.

Arabian Knights

Offline Rocco

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2021, 11:56:08 PM »
Update : I updated my BIOS last week as I saw the newest version had some stability fixes. I ran some benchmarks after, huge performance increases on my CPU and GPU. So I decided to run my cloud test again and it's fixed! I still see a FPS hit around these clouds but it's staying around ~45fps and very usable. A whole lot better than the 0-3fps I was getting before. It also fixed some random crashes I was getting and I can now run my RAM at designed speed (from what I read I thought ut was a compatibility issue with AMD version of xmp). Turns out it was all just a busted BIOS.

Arabian Knights

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2021, 08:30:10 AM »
Thanks for the update, Rocco.

Curious, what make/model motherboard are you using.

Offline Rocco

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2021, 09:43:12 AM »
Asus TUF gaming x570-pro. It's for Ryzen 5 5600x and I think that's where the issue is. The 5000 series Ryzen originally wouldn't even work with old BIOS, many motherboards needed an older Ryzen cpu to upgrade. Looking back it makes sense even those bios versions would have problems. Kinda typical for AMD, great hardware but lagging in the software.

Arabian Knights

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2021, 02:12:56 PM »
Hmm. I have an Asus Strix X-570E gaming and it'll update the bios without having a cpu even plugged until it. Thought that was an Asus thing.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Rocco

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2021, 02:41:33 PM »
Yep I can do that on mine too. I was just saying that the 5000 series CPUs wouldn't work at all on 570 boards without a newer bios. I think the mb manufacturers had to scramble to throw a bios together just to make it work, and are finally fixing all the bugs from their rush job.

Arabian Knights

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2021, 02:45:14 PM »
Oh yeah. Think my last bios was from June and since been updated with one stable and one beta. I'll get around to it eventually. Having no issues in AH on my 3900x, 2060, RiftS.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group