Author Topic: Monday Night Madness has Moved!!  (Read 1778 times)

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
Re: Monday Night Madness has Moved!!
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2021, 10:12:26 PM »
Maybe elsewhere but MNM has a dedicated group that could care less what rank they are there..lol

Most of us use it to train and fly planes we others can't in MA due to its structure.

Thanks Jaeger for hosting this for us weekly!

Eagler

Eagler, you can’t speak for everyone. Some people who fly MNM already care more than less, even without the logs. For example, I’ve witnessed a member of that “dedicated” group zoom above the hard ceiling to avoid being shot down, then complaining on vox because they were shot down anyway and that’s not an isolated example.

So if someone already cares enough to break the rules to avoid death, I’d suggest they are likely to care even more when logs are running.

So yes, my concern is that it will have an impact on how people fly, like the example above and thus potentially detract from the fun.

Why do I care? For me, the main attraction of MNM has been that it was somewhere to go "just for fun" without keeping count and I feel as though I've enjoyed my visits more because of that care free atmosphere.

Kind regards

Badboy
The Damned (est. 1988)
  • AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2021, 10:24:44 PM »
again the logs for MNM are for fun. what they bring?  not much, but it doesnt matter, most of us dont care, certainly not me. if someone wants to look at them, its just something extra to bring to the game. its just as much fun with the logs, as without logs.

Ok, you just said logs don't bring much, it doesn't matter anyway because most don't care, certainly not you and that it is just as much fun with the logs as without.

So why use them?

Badboy
The Damned (est. 1988)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2021, 06:23:11 AM »
Sounds like it might not be the arena for you bad if the logs scare you that much

There is one pilot who whines on the common radio frequency frequently but he is either ignored or ridiculed...the rest of us regulars do not give a darn what score we have in a room we might fly an hour a week in....

Hope you get over your log paranoia and join us Monday for BOB

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2021, 01:48:32 PM »
Sounds like it might not be the arena for you bad if the logs scare you that much
Hope you get over your log paranoia and join us Monday for BOB

Eagler

I enjoy scenarios and the MA with their scoring systems and logs very much and embrace them fully. In the right context logs can make an important contribution. For scenarios they are essential and add a lot. I always wait with anticipation for the logs to be posted after each event. However, I fly very differently in scenarios than I do in the MA and differently again at MNM. I appreciate all three for the different styles of play they offer, but they are all very different and the scoring system or logs have an influence on that.

Fun comes in many forms, I enjoy the MA, and Scenarios, and welcome and make full use of every aspect of the scoring system and logs with no concerns whatsoever (certainly not fear or paranoia) However, MNM is a different kind of fun, it’s a unique brand with a carefree atmosphere that you don’t find in the MA or Scenarios. So my concern is that logs may produce a change in the way people fly, moving away from what we have now in MNM towards what we have where scoring or logs have a strong influence on the way players fly in those events and on their motivations and behaviors.

its just as much fun with the logs, as without logs.

Seems to me there is no real reason for using logs, so why risk it?

Kind regards

Badboy
The Damned (est. 1988)

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2021, 03:22:05 PM »
the monday night madness group is a very close knit group. they are all for trying new things. if its a problem, they will let me know and we'll adjust accordingly. no one has ever said to me outright please dont use logs. so until one of my regulars does, we'll try them. if things change, we'll adjust again. thats the fun of this game. its not hurting anyone, so why not try?

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2021, 03:48:55 PM »
the monday night madness group is a very close knit group. they are all for trying new things. if its a problem, they will let me know and we'll adjust accordingly. no one has ever said to me outright please dont use logs. so until one of my regulars does, we'll try them. if things change, we'll adjust again. thats the fun of this game. its not hurting anyone, so why not try?

Ok, but hasn't this only happened once so far?

So because I've only attended a handful of times and I'm not part of your close knit group and not one of your regulars my request won't count... got it.

See you Monday.

Badboy
The Damned (est. 1988)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2021, 04:07:35 PM »
I enjoy scenarios and the MA with their scoring systems and logs very much and embrace them fully. In the right context logs can make an important contribution. For scenarios they are essential and add a lot. I always wait with anticipation for the logs to be posted after each event. However, I fly very differently in scenarios than I do in the MA and differently again at MNM. I appreciate all three for the different styles of play they offer, but they are all very different and the scoring system or logs have an influence on that.

Fun comes in many forms, I enjoy the MA, and Scenarios, and welcome and make full use of every aspect of the scoring system and logs with no concerns whatsoever (certainly not fear or paranoia) However, MNM is a different kind of fun, it’s a unique brand with a carefree atmosphere that you don’t find in the MA or Scenarios. So my concern is that logs may produce a change in the way people fly, moving away from what we have now in MNM towards what we have where scoring or logs have a strong influence on the way players fly in those events and on their motivations and behaviors.

Seems to me there is no real reason for using logs, so why risk it?

Kind regards

Badboy

I have the exact same sentiment and am a lot like you when it comes to events, the MA, and free fighting. Hell I even take combat challenge too seriously because of the logs. I really enjoyed the whole scoring setup they had years ago for CC, but I do understand that's a lot to manage for someone.

IMO, AVA and MNM should not be scored at all. Someone always takes it too seriously and flies like their life depends on it. While I think that's one thing in the MA or special events, I don't believe it has a place for setups like MNM where it should be a fight to die type atmosphere and If you get a few kills in your quick run, hey that's great. But IMO, scoring or logs opens the door for lame gameplay just so a guy can get more kills and land kills and feel special about themselves. There will always be that guy hanging over the top looking to pick easy kills. I was disappointed when match play went to a scoring system and It just seems to be way more complicated than it use to be.

Since the AVA will no longer be used. It needs to be changed to a team death arena on a small map with non perked planes and just keep it simple. It needs to project that in the title so that people know what it is. I think something like this would pick up, especially if it was free.

I understand that people can open custom arenas, however  they are not doing this. And in most cases don't have the time or bandwidth or energy to leave it open all day while not being able to play other parts of the game.

All I want is a fast action arena to let lose and dog fight exactly what the AVA was, but all of the time. Which would get popular in the evenings if we could just get a few people to play in there on the regular. The Match play map is just too damn big and fighting over water is boring. If we had one of the AvA maps as a team death match type of match calling that in the title, i think it would work much better. I believe that instead of making things simple, things have become more complicated and that's why the #s never pick up for these arenas.

I understand for right now it's a "dedicated group of regulars." But I always thought the goal was to pick up those #s and create bigger fun furballs with no stress of staying alive and picking fights. Tbh, I wish this was happening on the weekends so I could play in there sometimes, as Monday is a tough day for me. Kinda too bad that it's only a one day a week thing.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2021, 09:13:13 PM »
I understand for right now it's a "dedicated group of regulars." But I always thought the goal was to pick up those #s and create bigger fun furballs with no stress of staying alive and picking fights. Tbh, I wish this was happening on the weekends so I could play in there sometimes, as Monday is a tough day for me. Kinda too bad that it's only a one day a week thing.

There's absolutely no reason why that can't happen.  AvA is open all the time - you just have to grab people by the scruff of the neck and drag them in there.  MNM works because there are enough people who can get there on that one night (n.b., it's a difficult night for me, too), and they have mentally set aside that hour to do so.

I sense that people don't realize how much effort goes into keeping something like the AvA going.  If your kid gets sick, your wife wants to go out, or you're exhausted from work, people still expect you to set up the arena, whether for a night or for a week.  They expect you to get up the next morning and change it back.  They want new maps.  They want you to monitor these boards for heads-ups about something you forgot (e.g., no Knight 109s at A11).  It wears on you.  It's one thing when you have six or eight people who can share the effort, but the AvA staff doesn't have those any more, so the load is being carried by a very few, who get nothing tangible for their trouble.

Logs, no logs, who cares?  It's something to try out, as Jaeger says.  The AvA has been AH's pioneer arena for trying out new things, like close bases, limited range icons, altitude restrictions and a host of others.  Give these people some room.

- oldman

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2021, 03:40:25 AM »
Logs, no logs, who cares?  It's something to try out, as Jaeger says.  The AvA has been AH's pioneer arena for trying out new things, like close bases, limited range icons, altitude restrictions and a host of others.  Give these people some room.

- oldman

Well clearly they do care.

But that's the kind of straight talk I can appreciate. I was just asking simple questions trying to figure this out because it has been so much fun when I've been there I'd be sorry to see it change, and the log idea triggered alarm bells.

I find it hard to imagine how it wouldn't trigger alarm bells for anyone who has been around for as long as some of us have, after all who among us hasn't seen things go pear shaped over the years. I'm still lamenting the loss of the old Dueling Arena.

I've been a bit surprised by the responses though. I've found them to be evasive, obtuse, exclusive and bordering on hostile, not at all what I expected and an odd contrast to the friendly atmosphere I've witnessed when I've attended.

I'm just curious to seeing how it pans out in the air on Mondays.

It starts at 1am for me, so my biggest problem is staying awake.

Regards

Badboy
The Damned (est. 1988)

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2021, 07:41:28 PM »
well so far no dice on MNM logs, so no harm no foul at this point. if i don't use logs, will it bring in so many more players? or will the logs just piss off present players? im not trying to exclude anyone and i always welcome constructive criticism from people that play with us. im still not sure why it will hurt anything.

no one really takes monday nights seriously anyway. sigh......oh well.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2021, 06:55:58 AM »
Just set everyone to zero and they will have the same score as MA :)

I found it odd thinking if I was landing a plane Bad just struck oil and gave me a PW, I was doing it for the score?

Or was it to keep Bad from getting his kill or is this score related?

Too much thinking  :)

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2021, 09:34:45 AM »
My concern with the idea of logs and however that pans out, that it will turn into a score farming asset for those who are motivated by only that.  Everyone knows it’s  common in the MA to expect HOing and a gaggle of 3,4,5, etc chasing one for a kill.  From observation, that happens on a small scale some MNMs when new faces come in to try it out.  IF MNM evolves into a score haven, that’ll end the unique fun environment that is only found on Monday nights, and Thursday nights.  :salute

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2021, 02:08:52 PM »
Badboy, Puma Violator and Fugitive all have posted my exact concern and reason I posted why in the AvA forum thread (I  think that is where I originally posted)

Where I asked "why?" and then made my comments about logs....

I am for what ever possibilities that can make the MNM event.....by the way it  being moved to the events arenas it is now considered an event and not just a fun gathering of like minded people that enjoy the fun it was creating...

Wishing for the best and we should give jeager a chance to see it through

I'm not going to post anything else about it..

<S>

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2021, 10:09:01 PM »
we should give jeager a chance to see it through

Agreed.

- oldman