Author Topic: T-34/85 dominance  (Read 5829 times)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
Re: T-34/85 dominance
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2021, 08:21:15 AM »
I think it has been stated that perks were to maintain something that resembled the ratios od usage in the war.  If true, then T-34 should be dominant and T2 rare.  by that measure the perks are correct.

WRT the C-hog. It was a very rare plane in the war so it was perked to restore historical numbers as much as to cut back on it’s dominance.  So I’m on the fence about trying to limit use of the war’s most prolific tank.
Who is John Galt?

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2021, 10:34:28 AM »
From the numbers I've read there were waaaay more T-34 75s made then 85s so I'm not sure that it's working to do anything in a historical context if that was the intent.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2021, 10:50:53 AM »
There were more 85s built than other variants (including postwar numbers).

But the historical numbers being the reason for perks also can't be true. For example, the Ta 152 was extremely rare with under 100 built, yet the perk price was removed.

It is clearly how good the plane or vehicle is compared to other counterparts in-game.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 10:52:30 AM by Spikes »
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2021, 11:13:00 AM »
Aye. I was talking about in WW2 not over all as I don't think the 85 was available until late war.

Guess I wasn't being clear.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2021, 03:10:18 PM »
There were more 85s built than other variants (including postwar numbers).

But the historical numbers being the reason for perks also can't be true. For example, the Ta 152 was extremely rare with under 100 built, yet the perk price was removed.

It is clearly how good the plane or vehicle is compared to other counterparts in-game.

yes because even without perks no one uses it
Who is John Galt?

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2021, 08:46:40 PM »
yes because even without perks no one uses it
So you agree that historical numbers have little to no bearing on perk point values.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2021, 09:27:38 AM »

Kill shares of four significant tanks (based on all kills by tanks). AHIII was introduced at the end of September 2016. T34/85's share jumped up by one third from one tour to the next.

Now don't get me wrong - changes in usage, even quite radical ones are neither something special nor any new. Long time ago the Sherman VC was the most popular 'premium tank', before falling back into obscurity after changes the vehicle system in general and an armor bugfix in particular. One tank or plane being most used is normal, and a significant part of the set being 'hangar queens' is to be expected, too.

But when the most used tank is also one of the best/most successful ones and has a dominating position in the arena (massive share in kills), while much higher perked tanks are almost never used because they are arguably hardly worth it, there's a problem in my opinion.
Players don't chose between a capable but free tank or chose to risk some perks for superior performance. The as good as free T-34/85 (2 perks is nothing, when a single supply run in an M3 gives you three times as many) is almost always the best choice for the job in AH's current terrains, with the sole exception of the very expensive Tiger II, perhaps.

We had a very similar situation in the air with the F4U-C, which resulted in the creation of the perk system. Also, the Ta-152H and Spitfire XIV lost their perk status later on, while the Me 163's price was doubled.

Maybe an adjustment could be something like this:

« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 10:00:25 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2021, 09:52:56 AM »
I think those proposed numbers look fair, and i suspect the GV regulars have more than enough perks to cover the cost of 10 points for the T34/85. For some reason I thought the Jagdpanzer IV/70 had a perk cost on it, guess I should pay more attention.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2021, 09:55:40 AM »
And add 1-2 to the Wirble while we're at it. :)

FlyKommando.com

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2021, 09:59:27 AM »
For some reason I thought the Jagdpanzer IV/70 had a perk cost on it, guess I should pay more attention.

It has, I even had it right in my initial post in this thread.  :bhead
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2021, 10:35:51 AM »

It has, I even had it right in my initial post in this thread.  :bhead

:rofl

As a bad GV'er I'd take it out more often for 2.

Offline TyFoo

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2021, 05:02:51 PM »
Kill shares of four significant tanks (based on all kills by tanks). AHIII was introduced at the end of September 2016. T34/85's share jumped up by one third from one tour to the next.

Already explained with the usage of smaller, faster GVs, as well as the retention of more experienced players w/ the introduction of AHIII.

One tank or plane being most used is normal, and a significant part of the set being 'hangar queens' is to be expected, too.

But when the most used tank is also one of the best/most successful ones and has a dominating position in the arena (massive share in kills), while much higher perked tanks are almost never used because they are arguably hardly worth it, there's a problem in my opinion.

How is "One Tank or Plane being most used is normal" not going to be the most successful and dominant tank? Again in the days of Old most players wouldn't use the T34/85 because of its "good as free" perk cost. Because Panzers were/ are Free. That attitude changed a long time ago just as your chart shows.

Higher Perked tanks are not used because of the cost to use them for a given situation, you use what is appropriate and affords you the most time for a sortie. You don't borrow Scott66's  Semi truck to haul one box of Kleenex tissues from the store to the house when you can drive your car or ride a bike do ya?

Players don't chose between a capable but free tank or chose to risk some perks for superior performance.

Ummmmmm, yeah - they - we - I - do choose GVs based on capability, situations, mission, fun, and perk cost. I don't know any experienced player that doesnt choose GVs based on capability, and perk cost for a given situation. This goes back to Newb day - when you start out with Zero perks and don't have access to the more expensive equipment.

Now your proposal is to raise and lower perks based on a discussion brought up by a couple of players. Ok, but there is a consequence to New players, Less experienced players, and Players without perks in the bank by doing this. As an example - just like when starting out, they save one or two dozen perks using the Panzer or other free perked GV, and then get into a Spawn battle use a T34 and lose everything within 2-3 sorties. Then what?

They go back and HAVE to CHOOSE a "Free" tank, because they have no other choice if they wish to continue playing. There are several players in here that choose the Panzer for its "Free" value and no loss of perks when killed.

Although the T34 cost 2-3 perks and sometimes up to 4 perks - when getting killed more than you score kills - 2, 3, or 4 perks subtracted from the GV Savings account can drain it pretty quickly. As for the M3 and getting perks? You get 1 -1.5 perk per supp run during normal hours. Late at night when you are outnumbered 2, 3, or 4 to 1 yes you get 2.5-3.5 perks sometimes more. Which leads into another argument about the overuse of the M3 and raising the perks higher blah blah blah which I wont go into here.

A player can already diversify their GV usage and learn to use other tanks and learn different attacks using something like the M8, M3  and get anywhere from 8 - 48 perks in a single sortie. But most don't. There are plenty of opportunities for players to use whatever tank they want. However there is/ are and will be players that have to start out in the "Free" tanks and work their way up.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2021, 05:24:21 PM »
Hence a long time ago AH created that dastardly "Mano the Magnificent" and his Marvelous M8. . . . .lol

mano now has a bush-phobia.

Offline TryHard

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2021, 05:39:31 PM »
And add 1-2 to the Wirble while we're at it. :)

this ^ id make the Wirble 1 perk to justify its historical numbers and give players a reason to use the M16. I would still think the M18 deserves to be 1 perk due to its speed.

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2021, 08:40:19 PM »
And add 100-200 to the Wirble while we're at it. :)

Fixed that for you.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com