Author Topic: Identifying manned versus auto ack 37mm  (Read 907 times)

Offline Cluzig

• Copper Member
Identifying manned versus auto ack 37mm
« on: August 01, 2021, 01:56:51 PM »
Is there any visual difference between auto and manned 37mm acks?17lber and 88mms are easily distinguishable after a while. Does one need to look and learn gun position on maps?

I'm playing over a year and have no idea which are which except if the gun is manned in which case the tracers or rof seem to be different and sound.
Even that could be a slight illusion if the round is coming directly at or near you I realise.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
Re: Identifying manned versus auto ack 37mm
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 06:51:58 PM »
I know of no visual difference, I have maps of all the different base types and use them to determine gun types. Smaller bases like a V-base I have memorized the gun locations, same with town and ports. :joystick:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 08:06:19 PM »
Normally the way I look at it is that if its firing at you it is an auto gun. If not its a manned gun. I think they are different, but you have to be really close to tell. Werent the 17 lbs in a round mount and the other in a square at one time?

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 01:58:10 PM »
Normally the way I look at it is that if its firing at you it is an auto gun. If not its a manned gun. I think they are different, but you have to be really close to tell. Werent the 17 lbs in a round mount and the other in a square at one time?

They are all square mounts now.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 10:09:32 PM »
I don't know if you can tell them by sight, but a good map helps.  1ijac (One eye jack) made some excellent maps.  I have them at this page if you want to take a look:

http://kentwoodstation.com/Maps.html
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Cluzig

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2021, 01:11:07 PM »
I guess it is a pilots requirement to have the vision and knowledge of where they are located learned beforehand.

Thanks for the maps I have 3 different sets now I think.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2021, 08:04:53 PM »
The default map provided by AH on your map board shows the positions of everything on the map, 88 are labeled as 88, 37mm is labeled, and so on.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2021, 01:35:27 AM »
also,  If you are looking at the maps I made, all the guns in the town are auto guns (gng) but if you look closely there are 2 different types of auto guns in the town...If you go by the numbering system on my town maps, the even number guns 2,4,6 and 8 fire faster than the other type of auto gun, odd number guns fire slower 1,3,5 and 7.   If you look close at the auto guns in the game, there are 2 different types...one has a metal shield on each side of the barrel (fast firing) and the other has no metal shield (slower firing).  I hope I remembered that right.

I know the maps that I made designate on the map if they are 37 mm or 17 lbers if manned guns and designate auto guns.

Cheers,  One-eye
"One-Eye"

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2021, 10:25:11 AM »
Once again I want to thank you for the maps you made.   :salute
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2021, 02:53:00 AM »
 :salute
"One-Eye"

Offline bortas1

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2021, 09:11:04 PM »
I don't know if you can tell them by sight, but a good map helps.  1ijac (One eye jack) made some excellent maps.  I have them at this page if you want to take a look:

http://kentwoodstation.com/Maps.html
:salute nice maps thank you  :salute
bortas

Offline Cluzig

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2021, 12:11:25 PM »
also,  If you are looking at the maps I made, all the guns in the town are auto guns (gng) but if you look closely there are 2 different types of auto guns in the town...If you go by the numbering system on my town maps, the even number guns 2,4,6 and 8 fire faster than the other type of auto gun, odd number guns fire slower 1,3,5 and 7.   If you look close at the auto guns in the game, there are 2 different types...one has a metal shield on each side of the barrel (fast firing) and the other has no metal shield (slower firing).  I hope I remembered that right.

I know the maps that I made designate on the map if they are 37 mm or 17 lbers if manned guns and designate auto guns.

Cheers,  One-eye
Great info and thanks for the maps.