Author Topic: Northco map  (Read 8854 times)

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Re: Northco map
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2021, 10:19:28 AM »

I think the question is how hard is it to change the list of maps in the rotation..

As I understand it, HiTech needs to do significant testing of a newly submitted map to ensure that it works and is appropriate for the MA.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2021, 10:23:46 AM »
I'm sure you are correct Kong, however some feedback would be appreciated. I did receive a reply from Hitech back in August telling me he was going to try and get my maps up that week, but nothing to date.

As I'm sure you would, I would attempt to comply with any changes Hitech wanted on my maps. :rock
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2021, 11:14:11 AM »
I though I remember reading several small maps have been submitted, and not in rotation.

I've made three small maps and put them on the server for player comments:  badlands, crags, and reefs.  They haven't been formally submitted to HiTech.

If anyone has time, I'd be interested in GV drivers' comments on the center island tank "playground" on crags.  GVs spawn into a "village" terrain.  Not sure if tank guys like hide-and-seek or prefer wide open spaces.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 12:58:30 PM by popeye »
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2021, 01:34:49 PM »
Hitech rarely pops up in the forums because when he does, especially for questions like yours, he catches a lot of abuse.

he's proven time and time again that when hitech answers a question, then it will be reprased and they want an answer which has already been answered.

look at people asking to bring drones on goons, he already mentioned that he would just up the numbers of troops required to take a town.   or people asking to change map rotations. or get rid of large maps.

if some people aren't having fun, they aren't trying.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2021, 02:42:41 AM »
I think an explanation for this can be described as the Nestle Quik Paradox.   One of the delicious simple pleasures in Life is a glass of chocolate milk made with cold milk and two heaping tablespoons of Nestle Quik chocolate mix powder.   I have it infrequently, so when I do, you'd think I'd savor it and attempt to make it last.   But try as I might, I cannot make it last beyond two gulps.   It's just too hard to put the glass down.

Interesting observation. Quite possible AH is full of those (types) who scarf down their meals…

As for me, I prefer an hour just to eat my lunch.
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2022, 04:02:56 PM »
Well the Nestle Quick paradox persists. 

Northco was up for all of ~4 hours this weekend!

Crater was up prior to that for 4.5 days.

:(   

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2022, 05:39:40 PM »
4 days of NDIsles this week.

6 hours of Northco, rolled early this morning by Knights!

When I logged out (accidentally left it up when I went to sleep) I saw 2 Rook and 2 Bish online vs 14 Knights and Knights already had over 20% of Bish bases and 10%+ of Rook. The map had only been up for 4 hours at that time (0700 EST).

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2022, 05:53:25 PM »
That is quite a difference, RotBaron.   And it makes me wonder what is different about Northco that makes it relatively easy to roll.

Is it because it has a smaller total number of bases, distance between bases, or not enough Large and Medium AFs?   Is it lack of open water and CV/BB groups?  Or, is it something about the arrangement of the spawn points?

I'm asking because I find myself giving advice to a talented terrain-builder right now who is building a terrain near and dear to me - basically all of Western Europe, the Mediterranean, and the coastal belt of North Africa.   The are definitely challenges achieving balance with the irregular, real-world geography of this region.  But I'd like it to be successful, so I'm trying to pay attention to terrain design in terms of what works and what gets exploited.

<S>

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2022, 06:14:36 PM »
I want to know why frame rates suffer more with this map than others?
"Its no problem to be the best, but to be so much better than the best is going to bring accusations." Haggarty
"Ever wonder why its always b-17s and B-24s. It allows him an extreme advantage over other players hence his bomber kill count, that and his lazer beam guns." Diaster

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2022, 06:32:26 PM »
Oboe, I think there are numerous factors that cause it to be rolled so quickly and easily.

First and obviously, when the discrepancy between how many players are on one country is that great, then defense is futile. For example lets say 4 of the Knights were AFK and 1 of the Rook/Bish didn’t want to get ganged/vulched, then it’s 10 v 1. I was blurry eyed, but awake enough to read some of the text buffer and Knights were working together to roll the map, lead by Wootang.

Another factor I see that contributes is (as you asked about) the bases are quite a bit closer together being a small map. That’s the confounding part, majority of players say they want small maps and shorter transit times to find a fight, but then they roll the map  :headscratch:

I only know of one player on Knights  who doesn’t like the map because there are not any CVs. He’s an everyday player and will fly bombers/GV (not his norm) to help roll the map.

Good luck on your ETO map!

:salute

There are several other factors I’m sure, so I’ll think about it more and reply.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 06:35:20 PM by RotBaron »

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2022, 06:42:00 PM »
Has anyone called HiTech and asked him?

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2022, 08:26:33 PM »
4 days of NDIsles this week.

6 hours of Northco, rolled early this morning by Knights!

When I logged out (accidentally left it up when I went to sleep) I saw 2 Rook and 2 Bish online vs 14 Knights and Knights already had over 20% of Bish bases and 10%+ of Rook. The map had only been up for 4 hours at that time (0700 EST).

it would have been 2 days of ndiles if either bishops or knights would have concentrated on each other instead of rooks.  at the end rooks had like 24% of their fields.  first time I've seen a map that 2 countries didnt want to win.  at the end bishops tried to make a horde attack, they got 1 field but they had trouble on the second.  then we knights horded and won the map.  something we should have done the night before.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2022, 12:36:32 AM »
Has anyone called HiTech and asked him?

I have not.

It’s Popeye/Kong’s map and I’m not sure when it was first introduced.

As far as I know there are not any known bugs with it, so I imagine it was tested well and  extensively.

All of the suggestions made in this thread to make the map last longer seem fairly easy to implement, but IDK (my coding experience is 20 yrs old and limited to Java and C).

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2022, 04:28:43 AM »
Short lived maps are fine. Its a good map. Need more like it to rotate thru!
Couldnt agree MORE!!!   Did we just "merge"?   Get thee behind me, Sata............BEHIND ME?  :bhead   Come to think about that....FML!!!!  Heard anything from Copperhead? I miss that BUNG HOLE :rofl Am I gonna have to send him a new PC...pay for Cataract Surgery? LOL   "ONE SPAR( :rofl)! If you didnt bleed your E to go for he Snap Shot, you would a had me!" A few Months later..."ONE SPAR?  REALLY?  You listened? GD it man!"  I knew that I had arrived when, "SPAR? What does your callsign mean? Am I saying it right?" HEY! You Rattle Headed Copper Moccasin! It is FIRST PAR 3!"   " Ah, a Golf thing?    NOPE!  First, cause First name is ADAM...First Man...Par, for PARSONS, and 3 because I am the 3rd Adam in Genealogy."   "Thats to hard to remember! You will forever be known as 'A HOLE'" :rofl    One of my BEST ACES HIGH MEMORIES!!!!   Love you Fellers!!!! :aok
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2022, 06:43:16 AM »
If the map rotation is based off a list as stated before, couldn't the best maps be listed more than once, numerous times more than the crummy maps?

And if that's all it is and that can't be done..there's an answer

If it's more than that and HT can't tell that to us all here...well there's your other answer...

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals