Author Topic: Whats the best joystick? Logitech 3d keeps having issues  (Read 3415 times)

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
Re: Whats the best joystick? Logitech 3d keeps having issues
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2021, 06:58:25 PM »
THanks I'll check those out. Any thoughts about Thrustmaster?

I have the T16000 HOTAS and I love it.
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2021, 06:42:54 AM »
I have the T16000 HOTAS and I love it.

Best bang for your buck.

Add ch peds and your all set

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2021, 08:21:31 AM »
Best bang for your buck.

Add ch peds and your all set

Eagler

The pedals that come with it work fine.

CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member

CO--The Bad Guys

Offline AHPoker

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2021, 06:01:00 PM »
I'm currently using Logitech "Extreme 3d Pro". I know part of the problem is I get in combat and overwork the js until I wear it out but I don't think I have ever completely set it up correctly with proper damping, & all things correctly assigned in the options window. After a month, this one lists to the left. Tried correcting but messed up the settings so bad I'm going to re-install AH3 as a way to start over. I don't see a specific folder I can just delete to get 'everything' back to default.

1) What is the best joystick for AH3?
2) Are there some complete directions / tutorial for how to set up the joystick completely?

Thanks
Okie

Regardless of brand, I've never been able to get any of them to calibrate properly.  My gunsight is all over the screen.  Presently using a Thrustmaster and it works best for me, all things said.

Offline Cluzig

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2021, 08:07:18 AM »
Regardless of brand, I've never been able to get any of them to calibrate properly.  My gunsight is all over the screen.  Presently using a Thrustmaster and it works best for me, all things said.

Which thrustmaster device are you currently using? I break joysticks every 6 weeks to 3 months or so. I've pretty much used anything in the budget range and know how to calibrate it - calibration isn't the issue with some sticks like a very new T16000M but the
T flight stick and hotas x
Those must absolutely be fine tuned beyond a simple calibration.

The Logitech extreme 3d pro is extremely different.  It should be accurate when new with it's sensitivity set at about 30% pitch and roll and 20 yaw.

The t flight hotas one and 4 have firmware that removes the t flight  hotas x terrible deadzone. They are decent but you will develop issues with twist axis.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2021, 08:39:04 AM »
This is the reason I plunked down the bucks on the VKB Gunfighter stick. This will never happen. It's so well built (mostly metal) I can't imagine anything on it, other than maybe some wiring, EVER breaking. I think you'd have to drive over it or something! The wiring is easily repaired. They stand by their stuff and if anything does screw up they'll send you new parts. Even a whole PCB if need be. I once had something that was mis-wired. They walked me right thru troubleshooting the problem and correcting it. Pricey tho, for sure. The idea was to buy one stick that would likely last me the rest of my internet flying days. I'm a tools guy and I hate buying crappy tools that break after using them a couple of times(looking at you Harbor Freight!). Always kick myself for not getting the better tool. Tools are expensive. Don't want to go broke replacing them all the time either. Same thing.

I had two CH sticks over the years. One was a gameport model that was still working but had to be replaced with a USB model when gameport went the way of the dinosaur. The USB one was starting to have the buttons and hats give out. Had a lot of miles on them for sure but also had to tear them down to clean or replace the pots (which are semi-hard to come by) and also re-seat the wires fairly often to avoid the jitters. I never actually broke anything on them. Good stuff in it's day and affordable but QC, as I understand, it has fallen off dramatically so it might be a crap shoot buying a CH these days. Never had a Logitech stick but from what I gather from the forums around the net, they're fairly fragile/disposable/entry level stuff. Something breaking on them is almost to be expected.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2021, 09:50:34 PM »
This is the reason I plunked down the bucks on the VKB Gunfighter stick. This will never happen. It's so well built (mostly metal) I can't imagine anything on it, other than maybe some wiring, EVER breaking. I think you'd have to drive over it or something! The wiring is easily repaired. They stand by their stuff and if anything does screw up they'll send you new parts.

I have a question about the VKB hat switch - is it just 4-way and you have to use multiple other buttons to get all the needed views?   

The MS FFB2 has an 8-way hat switch and when I select a toggle, I get a total of 16 views covering level and up views in all 8 quadrants...

Thanks in advance.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2021, 09:08:21 AM »

I have a question about the VKB hat switch - is it just 4-way and you have to use multiple other buttons to get all the needed views?   

The MS FFB2 has an 8-way hat switch and when I select a toggle, I get a total of 16 views covering level and up views in all 8 quadrants...

Thanks in advance.

It depends on the stick or grip. I'm not sure about the Gladiator but all the hats on my MCG-Pro grip are 4-way with a center button press except one which is kinda special. It's an 8-way with center button press. That hat has two modes. A long press on center changes it to a two axis controller. A short press centers it, another long press brings it back to the 8-way hat. I use the axis mode to adjust elevator and aileron trim. But in short, I think all the hats VKB uses are a minimal 4-way with center press. And they're very stiff compared to say a CH hat. Feels like you clicked something.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2021, 11:30:46 AM »
But in short, I think all the hats VKB uses are a minimal 4-way with center press. And they're very stiff compared to say a CH hat. Feels like you clicked something.

Do you adjust your in-game FOV to get maximum view coverage with the 4-way?   Max FOV is 115? (whoa  152 degrees - I just checked. I currently have mine at 105 degrees.)  Then the up views as a toggle?

Thanks for the replies... might bite the bullet for a less nose bouncy stick and learn to ride the stall edge w/o the force feedback...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 11:32:46 AM by Shane »
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2021, 11:34:20 AM »
I'm pretty sure I was at 115 before I went VR a few years back. Hard playing on a screen once you do that! You're no longer looking AT the cockpit, you're IN the cockpit! Looks like you can reach out and touch the planes.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2021, 12:56:06 PM »
I'm pretty sure I was at 115 before I went VR a few years back. Hard playing on a screen once you do that! You're no longer looking AT the cockpit, you're IN the cockpit! Looks like you can reach out and touch the planes.

Thanks again...  I'm om the fence about VR - wearing glasses plus I'll probably puke, lol.  But I guess once you get used to it that it becomes more immersive (as long as you don't bang your head on the table in frustration.)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2021, 02:05:01 PM »
Mr Magoo glasses here..

I find the vive pro allows me to wear glasses inside it.

VR is a game changer..was for me as I now shoot down more than shoot me down :)

Eagler

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2021, 04:45:44 PM »

Thanks in advance.

8 way on the GF3 with the premiere space grip.  Think all the hatswitches on my Virpil throttle are 8 way as well.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song